Princess Platinum Insurance

geoherb

My mother-in-law has been sick. And even though our cruise is a couple of months away, I'm already thinking ahead to what we'll do if she's not better. DH has spent the last two weeks commuting back and forth between his job and her place, which is about an hour away.

Fortunately we have Princess Platinum Insurance. I know we can cancel for any reason and get a credit to a future cruise if for some reason we can't get the medical necessity letters we need to get a refund.

But would it be possible to go without him if he felt he had to stay behind with her? Would the insurance cover his absence but then charge me double for being a solo traveler?

My mother-in-law has been sick. And even though our cruise is a couple of months away, I'm already thinking ahead to what we'll do if she's not better. DH has spent the last two weeks commuting back and forth between his job and her place, which is about an hour away.

Fortunately we have Princess Platinum Insurance. I know we can cancel for any reason and get a credit to a future cruise if for some reason we can't get the medical necessity letters we need to get a refund.

But would it be possible to go without him if he felt he had to stay behind with her? Would the insurance cover his absence but then charge me double for being a solo traveler?

Excellent question. From what I understand, if your DH feels he has to stay behind, you would be charged the solo rate but his fare would be credited either as a refund or future cruise so you wouldn't be out of any money.

Any doctor would provide you with the medical documentation, if needed. As a "companion," his staying behind would be covered by the same medical documentation. When you file, if you do, they will open one case number for the both of them. This is what happened last January when my BIL became ill while on a cruise and my sister and I stayed in FL for a month while he was in ICU. As a companion, my expenses were covered under my sister's case # and the same medical documentation. Like you, we all had Princess Platinum insurance.

From what I understand, if your DH feels he has to stay behind, you would be charged the solo rate but his fare would be credited either as a refund or future cruise so you wouldn't be out of any money.
If that's the case, then I'd probably have to stay home. I couldn't justify spending that much on a cruise just for me knowing that he couldn't go.

Archived