Hot Rocks?

AllisonJames

Hi all, can someone please explain to me what the "Hot Rocks" dining experience is? It's been referred to here on the boards but I could not find any mention of it on the Silversea website. Is this something new? Is there an extra charge? Do we need reservations? If so do we need to book way ahead (i.e. is the demand high?) Thanks so much!

Here's a link to the Silversea blog that should explain it all!

http://blog.silversea.com/post/2010/06/17/DINNER-THEATRE-SIZZLING-STONES-AT-THE-GRILL.aspx

The "Black Rock" Grill was added to the Whisper during its May 2010 drydock. There is no extra charge, but you do need to make reservations once you are on board. Demand could be high, so you might want to nail down your preferred evening the afternoon you embark. Hope this helps!

Bob.

Silver Spirit was the original for the hot rocks grill( deck 10 just above the grill and bar on deck 9 ), but now I guess they've decided to do it on all of the ships in the fleet because it was such a success. Aboard Spirit everything comes from the pool grill on deck 9. I believe that now they've extended the experience to deck 9 at the tables just aft of the bar and grill under the covering of the deck 10 walking track. The meat or fish of your choosing( nice sized portion ) is served basically raw on a hot lava rock and you let it cook to your degree of doneness. You also get a baked potato and salad with it, as well as dessert. I just love the veal chop. As a hint, you might want to start cutting a couple of minutes after it arrives, because it cooks pretty rapidly. Really a nice dining experience, especially in warmer climes. During chilly weather they set up heaters around the area and it's quite comfortable. Try it, you'll like it!

That's what I'm asking. How do I tell, by cutting into it? I thought they might say five minutes for medium rare or some such direction.

I tended to do it by slicing first and putting the slices on the hot rock. I don't recall any guidance being given but never had a problem.

It's a great experience...actually one of the better dining venues on the Spirit.

That's what I'm asking. How do I tell, by cutting into it? I thought they might say five minutes for medium rare or some such direction.

I was always told to let the meat "sit" for a few minutes after grilling as cutting into it immediately makes the juices run out (also not to poke through it during cooking).

Thus cutting into the meat would not work very well at hot rocks, as far as I can tell - you just have to decide by feel (how firm the meat is) as to when it's done to your liking?

You can always cook it more but not less :)

We'll definitely give it a try or two in December.

We did the Hot Rocks Grill twice on our recent cruise. We had no problem getting in without reservations as this was New England in late September. It was cool. They had blankets and the rocks themselves serve as a heater at the table. I cooked each bite one at a time, thus guaranteeing hot food constantly through the meal (I also warmed my veggies on the rocks as they cooled down.)

On a hot summer's night off Australia, the grill might be too hot. On a cool night it is a bit of a challenge (we certainly didn't linger over the meal as we did in the dining room.) But the meat is so delicious, the service excellent and the informal atmosphere a breath of fresh air so I think the grill will continue to be a success.

We just did it on our recent trip and it was a hit! Someone in our party suggested a "tasting-type choice", small portions of few choices, and I think that is a great idea! We felt that the portions of meat were sometimes too large and I wanted to try everything. Will do it again this winter.

Archived