Cholera on Haiti

jo anne

I just don't think RCI can tell us what to do with OUR money. It's not the same thing as bringing them food from RCI's buffet which we did not. We chose to tip with OUR money. I am typically a rule follower but not when it comes to how I spend my money. I have enough issue with the gov't telling us what to do with it, I don't need a corporation telling men what I can and can't spend.

RCCL is watching the situation in Haiti very very closely. They are telling us to hold off on sending relief supplies on their ships next week as they are unsure they are going to be stopping in Labadee next week. They haven't cancelled but they are saying they are watching the situation very closely.

Hi

I would be very grateful if you could post here if you hear any further updates on this please.

We have at the moment 25 boxes of school supplies on their way to FLL to go onto the Allure on 12/5 to be handed over in Labadee on 12/7.

Thanks

Hi

I would be very grateful if you could post here if you hear any further updates on this please.

We have at the moment 25 boxes of school supplies on their way to FLL to go onto the Allure on 12/5 to be handed over in Labadee on 12/7.

Thanks

I will keep you posted. They said they would still take things down but are unsure of what is going to happen with those cruises. I will post on here if I have any new information.

I thought about Labadee theese days too- after reading all the tragedies going on Haiti. IMO RCI should organize kind of a money collection- just think about what could be done with only 10 Dollars from each visitor...!

It is not about what a company tells you to do with your money- it should work like a reoommadation. I suppose the problem would not be to collect the money- the problem would be to make sure it arrives were it is so badly needed.

Michael

Powdered Gatorade and pedialyte is also very helpful. Lots of IVs needed. This will be an ongoing process now that this Nepalese strand of cholera is in Haiti. New strand for this region, not sure the long/short term effects. But as a cruiser, I feel safe. I'm about ready for the boat, been a rough year.

Karen

I thought about Labadee theese days too- after reading all the tragedies going on Haiti. IMO RCI should organize kind of a money collection- just think about what could be done with only 10 Dollars from each visitor...!

Michael

On Serenade OTS in January 2010 immediately after the earthquake RCI conducted fund rasing auctions on-board and sought donations from passengers to benefit the Haitian Relief Fund. I know this because DW and I won an auction to have dinner with the CD and the Hotel Manager in Chops. I believe over $3000 was raised that week.

The question is how long could you conduct these fund raisers until passengers would get tired of them and they would become ineffective. RCI already supports the Make-A-Wish Foundation with T-shirt sales onboard as it is.

I guess you could just put a cash box out on those ships that call on Labadee. As passengers get on and off the ship they could put in whatever they wanted.

Wow. You can say that again. But that seems to be the norm with all his posts lately. Sounds like a know-it-all teenager.

Sorry but im 26 and dont know it all. in case you werent sure i posted my opinion not a fact. sure seems like your mr know it all since your tryng to tell me what my opinions mean. but ok

I just don't think RCI can tell us what to do with OUR money. It's not the same thing as bringing them food from RCI's buffet which we did not. We chose to tip with OUR money. I am typically a rule follower but not when it comes to how I spend my money. I have enough issue with the gov't telling us what to do with it, I don't need a corporation telling men what I can and can't spend.

I understand what you are saying. But it is RCI's compound. I think RCI is just trying to create a certain type of environment for a care free day for their passengers. This is not like a regular port. We are pretty much held captive there. I am sure that RCI just does not want their guests being harrassed for money and food. The more money and food that is handed out the more workers will expect it. Obviously, some people are not bothered by this behavior but I am sure there are many who do not want to have to be subjected to it.

I understand what you are saying. But it is RCI's compound. I think RCI is just trying to create a certain type of environment for a care free day for their passengers. This is not like a regular port. We are pretty much held captive there. I am sure that RCI just does not want their guests being harrassed for money and food. The more money and food that is handed out the more workers will expect it. Obviously, some people are not bothered by this behavior but I am sure there are many who do not want to have to be subjected to it.
You can put me in that don't want to be harassed group.

I just found our Labadee map/flyer they left in our cabins the night before. While it does say "don't offer to pay for chairs" it doesn't say anywhere not to tip. Offering to pay for chairs to me means telling them you'll give them x amount of money to get you a chair versus tipping which is handing them 5-10 dollars after they get one for you because you want to. The only people that harass us are the vendors. The beach staff has been nothing but polite and friendly and has never asked us for anything. I hate walking through the vendors area. That is harassment and I wish RCI would do something about that. I would go and look at what they have to sell if they would leave me alone. It's a real turnoff to have people constantly bugging you as you walk by. The thing is they would sell more if they would stop. I just walk through and ignore them because answering every single person just isn't going to happen.

And as I said, we did not give them food and would not if asked. The food is RCI's to offer and if they don't offer it to the locals, it's not our place to feed them. Our money is a different issue, for tips after the fact. I wouldn't give money to anyone who asked for it.

I would go and look at what they have to sell if they would leave me alone. It's a real turnoff to have people constantly bugging you as you walk by. The thing is they would sell more if they would stop. I just walk through and ignore them because answering every single person just isn't going to happen.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but there are 2 buildings. The second building is a no harrassment zone and they sell the same stuff. I don't even go near that first building anymore.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but there are 2 buildings. The second building is a no harrassment zone and they sell the same stuff. I don't even go near that first building anymore.

We went into one building where there were no issues, but what I'm referring to is the market area where you walk through to get to Columbus Cove. It was just ridiculous. Our last trip we were in a GS so we never went that far because we spent the day on Barefoot Beach. This trip, we went to Columbus Cove so we walked farther. On Freedom we'll be in a GS again, so we'll probably not go past Barefoot Beach again and can avoid all that harrassment.

I may have it figured out:

"key board messed up no \/ or jk 1 m no aggression im in street sa1es understand there pitch once negotiated to pay discount than ga\/e it back knowing there need"

He's not angry. The key board is messed up. It doesn't have a "v" or "l". He negotiated a discount with a vendor, then paid full price because he felt guilty.

What's the prize for solving the riddle?

We will be visiting Labadee during our November 12th cruise on Liberty of the Seas. A group called Cruise4Haiti will be onboard to raise funds and deliver supplies to the island. I fully expect that RCI is well aware of the situation on the island and will continue to monitor it. They will only stop there if they determine that is no health risk for its passengers and crew. Reports of cholera outbreaks seem confined to specific areas of the island and should have no impact on Labadee. Perhaps before panicking, people should become more familiar with the particulars of the disease and the conditions which can give rise to it. We will have our grandchildren with us and I would certainly not put them at risk, but I believe that in this instance the likelihood of any risk to passengers is minimal or non-existent.

I spoke to my friend who is a medical doctor about the Haiti stop. She said she would not get off the ship & would carry antibiotics. Seems you can DIE from cholera within hours, so you don't want to be waiting in line on the ship for medical assistance. I am very angry that RCCL is making me decide between losing the money I paid for the cruise & risking my life. I don't care how small the risk is, it is an unecessary risk. Easy solution is to just go to another port. Makes you wonder how much in bed RCCL is with the Hatian government.

Archived