Opinions of privategreecetours

wwb

Hello,

I need some help about booking a private tour in Athens for June 2011. I contacted Nikos Loukas and was impressed with what he offered, but then surprised that he does not give the tour himself. Does anyone have experience with him and his other drivers?

Thank you,

WWB

We used them on our cruise in September, I would recommend them highly we did the half day tour and Spiros was our driver...he was really informative and obviuosly a very proud Greek...I have done a review on the cruise and here is a link http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=73447

Sorry it is very long but hopefully you will find the info about Private Greek Tours and our day in Athens...if you want any more info contact me:D

Thank you for your response and your recommendation of Spiros.

Also, I enjoyed your review of your cruise and the Noordam....we also loved that ship!

Happy future cruising,

wwb

Unfortunately, I don't have first-hand experience about the other driver/guides who work for Nikos, but I do know another couple on our cruise (in addition to Lanikeekee!) who were with one of his driver/guides. We compared notes at the end of the day, and this couple, who needed to be in their own vehicle due to mobility issues, were *very* satisfied!

Nikos Loukas told me from the very beginning that regrettably he wouldn't be our driver/guide unless we had over four people. It didn't take long for me to have six people from the Roll Call to join the tour (this was eleven months in advance of the tour), so Nikos was still available and put his name on our group! We ended up with a group of eleven.

I personally booked about 14 private tours and transfers for our 20-day Mediterranean cruise, and without a doubt, Private Greece Tours is the one I recommend most wholeheartedly. Nikos is an extremely warm and gracious person, and he comes across just like that in his pre-cruise correspondence, as well as in person. His answers to my many questions were always thoughtful and interesting, never abrupt or "canned." By the time our cruise rolled around, and we toured with him on September 15th, I felt like I had a new friend.

As far as the quality of the tour . . . it was simply unsurpassed. Because the group had gotten rather large, at Nikos's suggestion we had him arrange for a guide to be with us all day. Nikos drove and joined in on the conversation, but we were able to have someone with us at all the sites and the museum. I would highly recommend our licensed guide as well: Her name is Despina, and Nikos described her as "like sunshine, always making you smile, plus she is a great guide, a true professional." He was right! Another thing I really appreciated about Nikos was his awareness of the stamina level of some of our participants, always making sure we had a rest between long stints of walking. And at lunch, several of us wanted a different type of shopping experience than what was available right there, so here he comes with that beautiful van to whisk us off to another area with the type of shops we were seeking. I did appreciate that flexibility and willingness to deviate from the norm.

At the end of the day, the entire van applauded Nikos and Despina and the tour they had given us. It was just one of those very special days.

I can't imagine that Nikos wouldn't make sure all driver/guides that work for him provide the same ultimate service. He's just that kind of guy . . . the kind that has much pride in his company. If my piggy bank's waistline ever recovers;) so that we're able to cruise the Med again, you can rest assured that Private Greece Tours in Athens is the first booking I will make.

Nikos's e-mail address is nikosloukas1@gmail.com, in case anyone other than wwb might want it. Sorry this is so long, but as my husband just said, we wouldn't do Private Greece Tours justice with a three-sentence reply!

Unfortunately, I don't have first-hand experience about the other driver/guides who work for Nikos, but I do know another couple on our cruise (in addition to Lanikeekee!) who were with one of his driver/guides. We compared notes at the end of the day, and this couple, who needed to be in their own vehicle due to mobility issues, were *very* satisfied!

Nikos Loukas told me from the very beginning that regrettably he wouldn't be our driver/guide unless we had over four people. It didn't take long for me to have six people from the Roll Call to join the tour (this was eleven months in advance of the tour), so Nikos was still available and put his name on our group! We ended up with a group of eleven.

I personally booked about 14 private tours and transfers for our 20-day Mediterranean cruise, and without a doubt, Private Greece Tours is the one I recommend most wholeheartedly. Nikos is an extremely warm and gracious person, and he comes across just like that in his pre-cruise correspondence, as well as in person. His answers to my many questions were always thoughtful and interesting, never abrupt or "canned." By the time our cruise rolled around, and we toured with him on September 15th, I felt like I had a new friend.

As far as the quality of the tour . . . it was simply unsurpassed. Because the group had gotten rather large, at Nikos's suggestion we had him arrange for a guide to be with us all day. Nikos drove and joined in on the conversation, but we were able to have someone with us at all the sites and the museum. I would highly recommend our licensed guide as well: Her name is Despina, and Nikos described her as "like sunshine, always making you smile, plus she is a great guide, a true professional." He was right! Another thing I really appreciated about Nikos was his awareness of the stamina level of some of our participants, always making sure we had a rest between long stints of walking. And at lunch, several of us wanted a different type of shopping experience than what was available right there, so here he comes with that beautiful van to whisk us off to another area with the type of shops we were seeking. I did appreciate that flexibility and willingness to deviate from the norm.

At the end of the day, the entire van applauded Nikos and Despina and the tour they had given us. It was just one of those very special days.

I can't imagine that Nikos wouldn't make sure all driver/guides that work for him provide the same ultimate service. He's just that kind of guy . . . the kind that has much pride in his company. If my piggy bank's waistline ever recovers;) so that we're able to cruise the Med again, you can rest assured that Private Greece Tours in Athens is the first booking I will make.

Nikos's e-mail address is nikosloukas1@gmail.com, in case anyone other than wwb might want it. Sorry this is so long, but as my husband just said, we wouldn't do Private Greece Tours justice with a three-sentence reply!

I agree Becky I was very happy with them even though you got Nikos I was very happy with Spiros...and I am sure that Nikos would make sure that all his staff were as good as him:D I have continued to communicate with him as he wants to be sure that we had a great time on his tour...this is to me the best service I have had for a long time.

May I ask what was the cost of the private guide, we have a group of 10 and this maybe something we should consider. thanks for any information.

May I ask what was the cost of the private guide, we have a group of 10 and this maybe something we should consider. thanks for any information.

Hi, Linda. The additional cost for our private guide last month (September) was $200 Euros. That amount divided by the number of your participants is a real bargain per person! Despina's knowledge and enthusiasm for her subject were a definite enhancement to our day.

Hi, Linda. The additional cost for our private guide last month (September) was $200 Euros. That amount divided by the number of your participants is a real bargain per person! Despina's knowledge and enthusiasm for her subject were a definite enhancement to our day.

Hi beckntom!

Have you written a review of your cruise? I would love to read it.:)

Thanks

Hi beckntom!

Have you written a review of your cruise? I would love to read it.:)

Thanks

Hi, bobalink. I'm really not much of a writer, so I never did a review. I probably should have, though, because I've been fielding quite a few questions. I followed your postings, too, on the Noordam Roll Call and your earlier experiences helped me! I've noticed you're doing the Med again next year (and I'm jealous). We did many of those same ports on the eastern portion of the Noordam cruise, so if you have a question about any of the ports, feel free to write me at becky510 at sbcglobal dot net. I'd be glad to pass on any info. You'll enjoy the Star Princess--we cruised South America on her in 2008.

We just booked Nikos for our stop in Athens for next summer. We have arranged a special intinerary to see the Acropolis plus both museums. We also booked a guide so we would see the important aspects of each site without wasting time. I do not know who our guide will be but Nikos said that he would be our driver.

Our group of 9 is depending on me to set up all our tours etc. so I am very grateful for the suggestions on this board. I did not have any hesitation reserving him after all the good remarks.

Hi, bobalink. I'm really not much of a writer, so I never did a review. I probably should have, though, because I've been fielding quite a few questions. I followed your postings, too, on the Noordam Roll Call and your earlier experiences helped me! I've noticed you're doing the Med again next year (and I'm jealous). We did many of those same ports on the eastern portion of the Noordam cruise, so if you have a question about any of the ports, feel free to write me at becky510 at sbcglobal dot net. I'd be glad to pass on any info. You'll enjoy the Star Princess--we cruised South America on her in 2008.

Hi beckntom,

Good to hear from you. I will send you an email!

Bobbie

We were a party of 11 that used Private Greece Tours last month on the Ruby Grand Mediterranean cruise. This tour was also one of the highlights of our trip. Nikos is extremely customer friendly and has a great website. He promptly emails you back, provides suggestions and lets you tailor your tour. The driver and guide were fabulous - friendly and professional. Kudos to Nikos, George and Paige!!

Diane

• 3 weeks later...

I would also recommend Nikos from Private Greece Tours. He took us on a tour of Cape Sounion and Athens in October during a Celebrity Century cruise and he was wonderful!! We asked for a tour guide and Nikos set us up with a gentleman by the name of Vassilios. Vassillos made the whole tour come alive not only with his narrative but also with the use of maps and pictures. Vassillos is also a professor and an archeologist. i would not hesitate to recommend Nikos from Private Geece Tours. It's a great tour service.

Tom Devine

• 1 month later...

We had scheduled a tour with Athens by Taxi - unfortunately we were not able to dock in Athens due to a general strike. Athens by Taxi was great and even though we guarenteed our tour with a credit card a simple email advising them we could not dock was sufficient for no charge. I was a little nervous but the reassurance we received was great. If by some slight chance you do not stop in Athens and end up in Crete - enjoy we just hired a taxi for the day and a great experience.

I have not had the opportunity to meet Nikos in person but we had corresponded many times to arrange our tour with them last summer. Nikos is a very personal and detailed operator. Our cruise (NCL Gem) had to cancel our stop at Athens due to the strike. I was very concern. Even before I could contact him from the ship, he had already sent an email notifying me of the cancelation, stating that nothing would be charged. I then emailed him (purchasing internet time on board) to arrange another tour for the 12 of us because the Gem changed the itinerary and planned a half-day stop at Athens later on that same week. Nikos arranged to have a driver and a guide to pick us up for a half day tour of Athens, in a brand new big bus that could seat 25+. We traveled in style and comfort needless to say. Due to the short time that we had (8am to 1pm), our only regret was that we did not get to go to the Plaka, but we saw most everything else. They made sure that we were at the Acropolis first before the crowds get there. We saw the guards coming down from the flag ceremony and by the time we came back down, the place was jammed with tour groups. We felt fortunate that we avoided the crowds. Our stay at Athens was short but we had a wonderful time there because of Nikos, the guide, and the bus driver. I would highly recommend Nikos at Privategreecetours for Athens. I am sure if we go back to Athens one of these days we will definitely use them again. It has been wonderful to hear from Nikos every so often through emailing after the tour. I just hope that I will get to meet him personally next time.

we used privategreecetours also - we were on the HAL Mediterranean cruise after Becky --- although we did not have Spiros - we had Despina as a guide - definitely ask for Despina! She was wonderful! I forget our driver's name (I also booked about 13 private tours for that cruise) - unfortunately all the Georges, Spiros, etc melded together! At the end of the cruise, Nikos came to meet me, as I had arranged the tour for 18 people, what a gentleman -

The tour in Athens (Acropolis first, New Acropolis museum, lunch in the Plaka, changing of the guard, sites in the Plaka and old Agora) made for a wonderful day - you will not be disappointed...-

We had an absolutely first rate experience with Nikos at Private Greece Tours. Not only was he extraordinarily accommodative, but his stories and charm kept us informed and entertained.

There are plenty of tour guides you can find in Athens that will show you all the usual sites. But how many of them will stop at a sidewalk café, have the owner warmly greet everyone and offer (gratis) everyone a popular local adult beverage?

Nikos did. And that little gesture left a very favorable impression on our group of 12 cruisers.

His English was flawless; his van was clean; and, most importantly, he was punctual. And if you want to read an independent review of Private Greece Tours, pick up the current issue of Travel 50 & Beyond magazine. The journalist who wrote an article on Athens had hired Nikos for an all day tour and came away with a very positive opinion.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Aloha,

Just wanted to add our experience with Private Greece Tours to what others have already posted. My family includes my wife and 2 young boys. We modified our itinerary a bit from the regular full day tour by substituting a stop at the Athens Planetarium instead of the New Acropolis museum. We did this because we weren't too sure how our children would cope with a museum after a long day of sightseeing. Nikos was extremely helpful in assisting us plan our tour by providing the times of the Planetarium shows and ensuring us that this would fit into our day without any risk of missing the boat, which it did with no problems. He even offered additional kid-friendly sites to replace the museum just to give us more options. Our driver was Spyros and he was excellent. We started with the Acropolis and upon our arrival we hired a private guide at the entrance for an additional 80 Euros. We found the guide well worth the price. Otherwise we would have wondered around not really knowing what we were looking at. On our way down from the Acropolis we passed the hoards of tours from the ship on their way up. It was great to beat the crowds. We had lunch at a cafe at the Agora which was recommended by Spyros. The food there was delicious and Spyros even helped us order and ensured our order came out correctly. After lunch we met Nikos before departing for the changing of the guard. He was a very warm friendly man who truly wanted to ensure that we were enjoying our day. We ended our day at the Planetarium which was a real child pleaser. Although the main commentary was in Greek, we were provided an earpiece so that we could listen in English. If you're touring with children and don't know if they'll withstand the museum, then I highly recommend the Planetarium as a worthy substitute.

Our experience with Private Greece Tours was excellent from planning our day with Nikos via email to spending the day with Spyros driving. I highly recommend their service if you need a gracious host for a day in Athens. As an example of their commitment to excellent service - on our way back to the ship we started talking about their business with Spyros. He told us that they were very selective with their drivers. During the busy season if they have to go outside of their normal core drivers to meet demand, then they pay very close attention to the feedback on those drivers. If that driver gets negative feedback, then that driver will not be called upon again to work for Nikos. He runs a tight ship with his crew and it definitely pays off through the superior service they offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived