Children

Scotspea

Just recieved a brochure today entitled Mediterranean 2011. Looked through it carefully and could find no specific reference to children or any entertainment for them.

Since this brochure has a lot of seven day cruises which we know are targeted at families isn't it strange that the warning SS promised is missing?

Did I misread other posts which included this subject or is this brochure just a sampler?

May just be my failing memory but I am sure a couple of months ago there were quite a few posts regarding numerous children on board several ships. I seem to remember a comment that SS had promised to highlight cruises which had a 'childminder' and organised childrens activities. This was to ensure the 'normal' clientele were warned in advance.

Yes, Scotspea, I remember that post also. I received the same brochure, and nothing indicating the "family friendly" cruises. The last thing I want is to book a cruise and have 60 kids on board as they did on the Spirit in August for a 1 week cruise. I wonder if they will divulge this info. to your TA if you ask. Bad form on SS's part.

Yes, but summer hols in Australia and New Zealand fall during January, a low time for children holidaying in North America since they've just returned to school after the Christmas hols. Even in North America, spring breaks happen over a period of several months depending on where you are (in Canada, in Ontario, March Break is usually one of two weeks and for the past two years has managed to coincide with a business trip for me to Europe so my flights have been full of teens on school trips - thank heavens for J-class!)

All this to say, given the international nature of SilverSea clients, determining when it is not school holidays is hard. Having a 'family friendly' indicator on the cruises would be a help.

I doubt the "luxury" lines will have as many kid's activities as a mainstream cruiseline, which IS geared toward families....

While I'm sure children will not be tossed overboard, there simply won't be the range of amenities for kids as say, RCI, Carnival, etc...will have!

When we were on board the Spirit last month, Sam, the cruise consultant, told me that they would be offering special prices to encourage families, from Mid-May until September, on the 7 day cruises.:(

If the cruise consultant is giving out this information to clients why cant Silversea tell their regular clients which cruises these family offers apply to.On our cruise on the Cloud in August a family with children were asked to leave the ship because of the unacceptable behavior of a child.Silversea is not geared up for family holidays and they should say so in the brochure so that couples who wish to enjoy a luxury cruise without there being lots of children on board are able to do so.

We had a few small children and 2 infants on the Whisper last week. The parents had to be reminded that "...infants in diapers and children who are not toilet trained...are not permitted in the pool or hot tubs". They were not pleased and did what they wanted anyhow!

So, SS allowed the infant and toddlers to be in the pool????????? Not good. And, too bad that the parents weren't pleased. The rest of us abide by SS policies whether it be dress code, smoking, etc. Why are others with kids allowed to do what they want? Will someone enlighten me? I just don't get it!!!!!!!:confused:

CanadianKate and Brimary, I agree with both of you. This needs to be made known on the website and brochure. People book SS for luxury and relaxation; not for a "family friendly" atmosphere.

I don't know what SS is up to, but it stinks. First the Charity charge which has aggravated 95% of the members of these boards, now the "secret" family-friendly cruises. Oops! Not a secret to the families just to the other cruisers. I'd love to know what discount rates they are receiving and how it compares to the fares the rest of us are paying.

wripro, sorry to burst your bubble, but being on board in Oct. isn't going to stop the infants, toddlers and non-school age children. ducttape had them on hers last week. I'm hoping for your sake that your cruise will be "childless". I do not want anyone who has enjoyed the SS experience in the past, to be aggravated and annoyed by children. Yes, some are very good, but, there are some that are hell on wheels. If I want to play the odds, I'll go to Vegas.

It's never the kids' fault when they carry on like that, but the parents' who refuse to oversee them or curtail their little angels' raucous activities. Personally, if I saw a baby with diapers in the pool or hot tub I'd go straight to the hotel manager and tell him to get that baby out or I will publicize the fact that Silversea is unsanitary in every possible way I could.

I don't believe SS is going to publicize these cruises. I am sure they are aware that the majority of their clientele are going to avoid these cruises like the plague. Plus, their chances of booking an entire ship with families are slim. I would contact SS directly and ask if the cruise I was interested was "family friendly". Get the rep.'s name. If you receive incorrect info., you will have a legitimate complaint. Thoughts anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on 3 SS cruises - two on the Wind and one on the Cloud - all Mediterranean Cruises (June, July & October). There were no children at all on the Cloud, and there was only an infant on one of the Wind trips, and two very well behaved children (probably around 8 & 10 years old) on the other Wind trip. I actually flet sorry for the two older children who were on the Wind because they had no other children to play with and activities were geared for adults. My husband and I have children who are 9 & 12, and we would not think of bringing them on a SS cruise until they were much, much older (like 18+).

My husband and I love SS cruises because there aren't children aboard and are geared more for adults. We also love to cruise with our own children, but we typically go on Princess when we cruise with them. There are more families on those cruises. Anyway, in my opinion, SS does not encourage families with young children to cruise with them. It just doesn't seem to be their target market.

I have been on 3 SS cruises - two on the Wind and one on the Cloud - all Mediterranean Cruises (June' date=' July & October). There were no children at all on the Cloud, and there was only an infant on one of the Wind trips, and two very well behaved children (probably around 8 & 10 years old) on the other Wind trip. I actually flet sorry for the two older children who were on the Wind because they had no other children to play with and activities were geared for adults. My husband and I have children who are 9 & 12, and we would not think of bringing them on a SS cruise until they were much, much older (like 18+).

My husband and I love SS cruises because there aren't children aboard and are geared more for adults. We also love to cruise with our own children, but we typically go on Princess when we cruise with them. There are more families on those cruises. Anyway, in my opinion, SS does not encourage families with young children to cruise with them. It just doesn't seem to be their target market.[/quote']

Oops -correction - I meant to say that we were on the Whisper twice and not the Wind. I just booked the Wind for October 2011, so I guess I had the Wind on my mind.

CruisinK, you said:

"My husband and I have children who are 9 & 12, and we would not think of bringing them on a SS cruise until they were much, much older (like 18+). "

As a mother of a 17.5 and 18.5 year old, I couldn't help but laugh. Hope you have more normal teens than I do when you get there. I couldn't imagine bringing my kids until their late 20's, I fear. :eek:

Happy sailing to you.

Anita

Cruisin K,

When were you on those Med cruises in June and July? If it was before last year whenthey started offering only seven day itineraries during the summer months it was a completely different time. Now they are going after the younger demographic and children are part of the deal. Too bad.

During 7 day itineraries, usually in the summer and school holidays you can anticipate children, sorry to say. However, just received a new Setting Sail brochure for our upcoming trip and I noticed something new...p.14. "Although Silversea accepts guests over the age of six months, there are no special programmes for children onboard, and Silversea does not provide for the care, entertainment and supervision of children." This had disappeared for a while, but it appears to be back!

Archived