Passport Requirement for US Citizen on a Princess Southern Cruise Out Of San Juan?

swdke

My Mom and I are scheduled for a Princess cruise, a Classic Southern Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan. Today we were discussing with an aunt who might like to consider joining us. Unfortunately, she does not have a US Passport. She is a US Citizen, and I believe US Citizens can travel to Puerto Rico without a US Passport. She would be traveling from the US (Ohio) to San Juan, and returning the same. What are Princess requirements? Would this be a problem, and what would she need. If she could go, and if she would want to go, we would need to be definate about about the Passport issue because she is like 80 and it would be akward if Princess denied her boarding as she would be all alone and not know what to do in Puerto Rico while the rest of us cruised. Does anyone have any recent experience or personal knowledge on this situation? Thanks

Since Puerto Rico is part of the US, it is a domestic flight. She would need a photo ID.

In order to take a Southern Caribbean cruise that starts and ends in San Juan, she would need proof of citizenship. The normal documentation used is either a US Passport or A certified copy of a birth certificate and a goverment issued photo ID (usually a driver's lisence

Since Puerto Rico is part of the US, it is a domestic flight. She would need a photo ID.

In order to take a Southern Caribbean cruise that starts and ends in San Juan, she would need proof of citizenship. The normal documentation used is either a US Passport or A certified copy of a birth certificate and a goverment issued photo ID (usually a driver's lisence

Nothing to add other than to make sure that the OP understands that a hospital birth certificate is not a certified birth certificate.

I don't believe you'll be able to fly home from a non-US port in case of an emergency without a passport!

I don't believe you'll be able to fly home from a non-US port in case of an emergency!
True. You can't. But there's no problem flying to/from Puerto Rico. It's ALWAYS better to have a passport and I don't understand why people would want to leave the country without one, but it's not required for this itinerary.

Or go with the less costly route which is a U.S. passport card. It costs about half as much as a full passport BUT it is only good for sea and land boarder crossings NOT air travel. Also it is ONLY good for U.S. , Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and Caribbiean countries.

I got one right before the price for passports went up on July 13, 2010l. Or as someone else mention, a valid photo ID from any state government, and a certified copy of her birth certificate with raised seal as long as the cruise starts AND ends in the same port.

I don't understand why people would want to leave the country without one, but it's not required for this itinerary.

If you don't travel much and don't plan to leave the country again, a passport can be not just expensive, but anymore, a daunting task to acquire one. In our town, you have to stand in line -- almost always a long line-- during only certain hours. And then theres the getting the special picture first. Ican definitely understand not wanting to get one.

If you don't travel much and don't plan to leave the country again, a passport can be not just expensive, but anymore, a daunting task to acquire one. In our town, you have to stand in line -- almost always a long line-- during only certain hours. And then theres the getting the special picture first. Ican definitely understand not wanting to get one.
I've had a passport continuously for over 50 years, through good times and bad, including when I was supporting my college-bound daughter on $7.50/hour. I still would never leave the US without a passport. If I couldn't afford it, I'd find another vacation in the US, even if it meant camping in a tent, which I've done.

I hope that your aunt will choose to accompany you as I am sure she will have a blast on this cruise. I also hope (and strongly recommend) that she get a passport. It will just make things a whole lot simpler and worry-free if she has a passport.

Despite what mytime53 has written, it is neither difficult nor excessively time-consuming to get a passport. First, passport applications are accepted in many locations. If you go to the following website, you can find out exactly where your aunt can go to apply for her passport. (http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/) There are actually 4 post offices within 3 miles of my house that accept passport applications, so I'm sure your aunt won't have a problem finding a place to apply for her passport. I am at one of those post offices on a regular basis and I have even applied for passports for my children at this post office. I have never seen more than 1 or 2 people waiting to get their passport applications processed and usually there is nobody waiting in line for this service. Second, while getting passport photos used to be a bit of a pain, now most drug stores with photo processing offer passport photos. I've gotten them at my local Walgreens and Rite Aid drug stores and I'm sure many other national chains offer them too.

I assume that your aunt will be purchasing travel insurance for this cruise, so I would consider purchasing a passport to be just another expense of the cruise. Having travel insurance and a passport should provide all of you with some peace-of-mind.

Or go with the less costly route which is a U.S. passport card. It costs about half as much as a full passport BUT it is only good for sea and land boarder crossings NOT air travel. Also it is ONLY good for U.S. , Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and Caribbiean countries.

But what use would it be on this cruise? Neither a passport or passport card is needed since a birth certificate and driver ID can be used.

As pointed out, the birth certificate and driver ID cannot be used to fly back home from another country if there is an emergency, but since (as you point out) the passport card also cannot be used for this, why get one?

Now do you think Sarah would leave the country without a passport if she was travelling from Wasilla?

Ciao for now!!!

I'm not advocating that anyone leave the country without a passport. I've had one since the first time I needed one, and won't be without one ever until I've decided definitely that I'm done traveling outside of the country. I even take it when I'm not planning to leave the country, just in case we change our minds. But the comment I'm replying to began with "I don't understand...."

I'm merely saying that I do understand. Not everyone lives where there are several options for getting a passport. Not everyone has time and transportation to get them.

My son and daughter-in-law coordinated their lunch times to get passports for their children; after standing in line so long that they would be late back to work, the sign went up "closed for lunch." They both ended up having to take off a 1/2 day of work on another day. This was not in Wasilla even, but in Anchorage where one would think it would be a simple matter.

Appyling for a passport is hardly a daunting experience, even if we have to stand on line for a while.

The DS 11 application form is available and can be filled out on line.

There are a number of easily accessed venues that provide passport photos.

If we agree the State Department shouldn't hand out passports like candy, how much simpler could they make it?

What step(s) would you eliminate?

Geez. So much angst about a relatively simple process.:confused:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds11/ds11_842.html

Its acutualy a very easy process. :confused:

Archived