Liberty - Our First Cruise With RCL - Comparison

DH and I just came back from our first cruise with RCL on Liberty of the Seas! For those of you that do not know, we ONLY had Carnival to compare it with. What a beautiful ship and fantastic experience. Below is our review - short - and our thoughts and comparisons.

PreCruise: We stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay - All I can say is gorgeous, but watch out, breakfast at the hotel is around $40 total! Whew!

Embarkation: This was a breeze! Start to finish and onboard, less than 20 minutes! We arrived around 11am. Luggage arrived before 3pm and room was ready right at 1pm. We had a JS - 9654. Fantastic, and the room compared to a regular balcony was just wonderful!

Ports of Call: We went to St. Maarten and spent the day on Orient Beach. While we were not around the nudists, we did see them. Didn't bother us at all. Down further on the beach is where all the nudies go and my husband and the husband of the couple we went with decided to walk down to that beach and gawk! DH did get some pictures!

San Juan: Beautiful place and while walking to the fort - we stumbled across a little pastry place that evidently Rachael Ray has done a show about. I wish I could remember the name of it, but let me tell you, it was FANTASTIC!

Labadee: Yes, beautiful island and the Labadoozies were great. I will state that the Artisian market was neat to see, however, beware that they will push for a sale and I mean REALLY PUSH!

FOOD: Had we not had something to compare it to, I would say it was great, but we DID have something to compare it too. Carnival. Because of this, we must state that overall dining on Carnival was much better. We did go to Chops and Portofino -we liked Portofino MUCH better. While Chops had a great filet mignon that was really tender - it lacked flavor and the staff seemed tired and overworked. Just not really into making it a memorable dining experience. Portofino on the other hand, the presentation was great and our waitress was fantastic. I would go to Portofino again over Chops.

ROOM: Again, we had a JS 9654. Our steward, Sandy, was good, but the last couple days (we hadn't given him an extra tip YET) started slacking a bit. The JS was fantastic with a nice big balcony, but we didn't utilize the whole space. We LOVED the size of the room, however, and the closests were HUGE! Our friends had an aft balcony, and truthfully, compared to our room, their space seemed cramped!

Debarkation: We did our own thing and this was a breeze also. So smooth and fast!

Okay, overall comparison. Yes the ships of RCL are much more upscale to the eye than Carnival, but Carnival's ships are beautiful too in our opinion. Food on Carnival was MUCH better in every way. On Carnival, we did go to their specialty restaurant and the staff and presentation - overall everything, was MUCH better than RCL. Carnival took time to WOW the guests in the specialty restaurants where I didn't see this at all with RCL in Chops. Portofino took more time than Chops, but overall, Carnival wins in this area.

Also, Carnival's room are bigger than RCL. We never felt cramped in our aft cabin on Carnival compared to what our friends had on RCL. Big difference in our opinion in size. The beds on RCL are almost as comfortable as Carnival and I did hear that RCL did upgrade their beds.

Pricing: While we snagged a JS for $999/pp, the prices on Carnival overall are lower. Yes, we don't get all the "extras" on the Carnival ships like the Flowrider, Rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, we DH and I didn't utilize these. We watched the Flowrider a couple times, didn't see anyone on the rock climbing wall at all, and the ice rink was closed most of the time. When it was open - it had "sessions" for advanced, etc., and it just seemed like that was never a time for us 55+ people to use it!

Now, I want to make sure that everyone KNOWS I am NOT bashing RCL at all. In fact, we booked another cruise with them for next year, but this is just our overall humble opinion on what we saw and experienced. Price, food, and overall rooms, Carnival wins - again, this is just OUR opinion. Ships - yes RCL's ship are GORGEOUS and do offer MUCH more activities and options for the cruisers such as Flowrider, Rock climbing and the ice rink.

Again, just our opinion!

Thank you for your fair and balanced report. I only have one question. Do you know what room category your friends were in on the aft? By your description, it sounds like a Cat. E. Just FYI, Cat E are the smallest balcony rooms. The Cat D balcony rooms are actually larger than the balconies on most Carnival's ships.

Yes, they were in an E1 Aft - 9706. So, you are correct in the E1. And yes, I can only compare the aft balconies on RCL with Carnival, not the categories. We were VERY pleased with our JS, but have never had a suite on Carnival.

Again, we did book another cruise with RCL as we were very pleased overall, however, there are differences as we all know. Pricing is one of them, but the quality of the food was a big difference. The overall experience in the reservations only supper club on Carnival was WAY above what we experienced on RCL - especially in Chops.

I am curious about your comparison of the entertainment options for the two lines? And activities offered in general.

We've been on three RCCL cruises (Enchantment, Majesty, Navigator) and one Carnival (Destiny), and so I find other's comparisons very interesting.

Thanks for the review we are sailing Liberty next April and have done 3 RCL cruises and one carnival cruise. I agree about the food in the MDR and at lunch time, but we were very dissappointed in Lido for informal evening dining. very little choice in comparisson to RCL. We are Scottish, and found Carnival to be great value, but a bit more of a culture shock than RCL!

Nice review. We've been sailing Carnival for the past 7 years and I keep telling DH I want to go on 2 Royal cruises, The big one and the biggest one, lol. We just came back from the Dream and I told him that aside from the Miracle (because of its itinerary ) its the only one left I have the desire to Sail. Hopefully I can talk him into it for next year. My daughter and I have sailed the Monarch and it was a nice little cruise, but I WANT THE BIG ONES!!!!

We only went to one show on Liberty and we didn't care for it - but that had nothing to do with the show itself - DH and I along with our friends were really just too stuffed and tired to get into it. We watched one show on the 2 cruises with Carnival.

How did I snag a JS for $999??? Senior citizen rate of course! We LOVED the room!!! Even had a bathtub which I didn't use.

Again, both Carnival and RCL had their pluses and minuses. We booked Serenade for the southern route next year.

I have know idea why people think that Carnival has better food. It is basically the same.

I bet Carnival adds a ton of salt..

I have to agree with the original poster. I have only sailed on one Carnival ship-the Miracle and have sailed on 9 RCI cruises and the food on the Miracle appealed to me more than any of the RCI ships.....so much so that I had a hard time trying to decide which of several entrees I wanted on several nights. In my case, it may not have been that the food was BETTER on Carnival, I just liked the choices more than on RCI.

DH and I just came back from our first cruise with RCL on Liberty of the Seas! For those of you that do not know, we ONLY had Carnival to compare it with. What a beautiful ship and fantastic experience. Below is our review - short - and our thoughts and comparisons.

PreCruise: We stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay - All I can say is gorgeous, but watch out, breakfast at the hotel is around $40 total! Whew!

Embarkation: This was a breeze! Start to finish and onboard, less than 20 minutes! We arrived around 11am. Luggage arrived before 3pm and room was ready right at 1pm. We had a JS - 9654. Fantastic, and the room compared to a regular balcony was just wonderful!

Ports of Call: We went to St. Maarten and spent the day on Orient Beach. While we were not around the nudists, we did see them. Didn't bother us at all. Down further on the beach is where all the nudies go and my husband and the husband of the couple we went with decided to walk down to that beach and gawk! DH did get some pictures!

San Juan: Beautiful place and while walking to the fort - we stumbled across a little pastry place that evidently Rachael Ray has done a show about. I wish I could remember the name of it, but let me tell you, it was FANTASTIC!

Labadee: Yes, beautiful island and the Labadoozies were great. I will state that the Artisian market was neat to see, however, beware that they will push for a sale and I mean REALLY PUSH!

FOOD: Had we not had something to compare it to, I would say it was great, but we DID have something to compare it too. Carnival. Because of this, we must state that overall dining on Carnival was much better. We did go to Chops and Portofino -we liked Portofino MUCH better. While Chops had a great filet mignon that was really tender - it lacked flavor and the staff seemed tired and overworked. Just not really into making it a memorable dining experience. Portofino on the other hand, the presentation was great and our waitress was fantastic. I would go to Portofino again over Chops.

ROOM: Again, we had a JS 9654. Our steward, Sandy, was good, but the last couple days (we hadn't given him an extra tip YET) started slacking a bit. The JS was fantastic with a nice big balcony, but we didn't utilize the whole space. We LOVED the size of the room, however, and the closests were HUGE! Our friends had an aft balcony, and truthfully, compared to our room, their space seemed cramped!

Debarkation: We did our own thing and this was a breeze also. So smooth and fast!

Okay, overall comparison. Yes the ships of RCL are much more upscale to the eye than Carnival, but Carnival's ships are beautiful too in our opinion. Food on Carnival was MUCH better in every way. On Carnival, we did go to their specialty restaurant and the staff and presentation - overall everything, was MUCH better than RCL. Carnival took time to WOW the guests in the specialty restaurants where I didn't see this at all with RCL in Chops. Portofino took more time than Chops, but overall, Carnival wins in this area.

Also, Carnival's room are bigger than RCL. We never felt cramped in our aft cabin on Carnival compared to what our friends had on RCL. Big difference in our opinion in size. The beds on RCL are almost as comfortable as Carnival and I did hear that RCL did upgrade their beds.

Pricing: While we snagged a JS for $999/pp, the prices on Carnival overall are lower. Yes, we don't get all the "extras" on the Carnival ships like the Flowrider, Rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, we DH and I didn't utilize these. We watched the Flowrider a couple times, didn't see anyone on the rock climbing wall at all, and the ice rink was closed most of the time. When it was open - it had "sessions" for advanced, etc., and it just seemed like that was never a time for us 55+ people to use it!

Now, I want to make sure that everyone KNOWS I am NOT bashing RCL at all. In fact, we booked another cruise with them for next year, but this is just our overall humble opinion on what we saw and experienced. Price, food, and overall rooms, Carnival wins - again, this is just OUR opinion. Ships - yes RCL's ship are GORGEOUS and do offer MUCH more activities and options for the cruisers such as Flowrider, Rock climbing and the ice rink.

Again, just our opinion!

Dh and i were on the same cruise we were in 9686, also had Sandy and ate at chops on friday, your review mirrors our opinion!

Archived