Tips for flying from Vancouver or Washington to Florida (cruise ports)

fuc847

being on the westcoast, specifically from Vancouver, I am always tempted by not only the good deals, but the more variety of ships and more tropical locations offered by the florida ports.

BUT i still find it quite expensive and usually offsets any sort of deals to be had. Typically from Vancouver to Florida requires 1 transfer about $600 roundtrip.

Does anyone on the northwest coast have any tips to fly to (and back) Florida? I don't mind driving to Bellingham or Seattle if I can save $100-200 per person.

Last Sept/October (2009) we sailed from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale. Our return flight home via Toronto cost us $200 including all taxes. Sometimes you can get lucky especially if you book several months in advance. This particular flight was booked in January so we were 10 months out.

We are using points for our flight to/from Fort Lauderdale next April so I didn't have a need to search out our flights.

As for tips, I think booking early might get you a better deal. Just keep checking the cost and if you think it's a good deal, book it because there is no guarantee that it will be there again.

Flying out of the US cities is great if you can find transportation down and don't have to leave a car. The flights can be much cheaper then what we pay here but what you save in taxes may end up costing you the same for parking or a hotel night.

Just my $0.02. :)

An hour ago I finished looking up same thing for Spring cruise ending Vancouver. I live Miami Beach, so fly either MIA or FLL. Affordable solution is taking the QuickCoach bus or Amtrak to Seattle airport, saving almost 1/2 cost. I was looking late May 2011. Southwest fares are out. Found SALE today Sea-FLL for $142 ($132 Senior). United goes Sea-MIA for $160 plus $25 bag charge. Did not check FLL. Look em all up on Booking Buddy, except SWA. So both fares are attractive and have flights all day long. Have you taken Quick Coach or Amtrak down to Seattle?

being on the westcoast, specifically from Vancouver, I am always tempted by not only the good deals, but the more variety of ships and more tropical locations offered by the florida ports.

BUT i still find it quite expensive and usually offsets any sort of deals to be had. Typically from Vancouver to Florida requires 1 transfer about $600 roundtrip.

Does anyone on the northwest coast have any tips to fly to (and back) Florida? I don't mind driving to Bellingham or Seattle if I can save $100-200 per person.

I know this is a long shot but are you retired? If so, why not take Amtrak?

WE are also Vancouverites who go to Florida annually and have for the past 25 years....

We almost always fly out of Seattle due to the huge savings (only a couple of times have I found sales that made flying out of YVR affordable). Last year I flew South West for $99 each way but this year I am seeing the fares more like $140 each way - still round trip to Florida for around $300. is not a bad deal and that is what I have budgeted for years for our trip.

Just take some time and really shop the internet before you go. I usually find the deals about 60 days out. But then I am flexible and can fly during off peak times and during the week.

thanks for the GREAT tip BChappygal! I'm BChappyguy! :)

didn't know southwest had such good rates, would be even better if they had a direct flight!

any other discount airlines i should know of?

Air Tran, it's about to join Southwest, but they have flights that go through ATL. Great deals and they have really affordable Business Class upgrades (my shameful secret, I'm kind of addicted to the Business Class upgrade.)

I'm paying about CDN$360 (taxes included)/per person for a return flight from Seattle to Miami using American Airlines. Therefore we'll be parking our car at Seatac airport for over a week. It's our first cruise so we're excited!

I think Alaska Air still has a nonstop to/from Seattle/Miami. I'm sure sometimes they have decent deals, and I thought it was the only airline to have nonstops between the two cities? Probably not as inexpensive as SWA, but the convenience of nonstop is really nice.

The nonstop out of Seattle was around 1 pm I think, and out of Miami it was in the morning..10 am maybe?

I think Alaska Air still has a nonstop to/from Seattle/Miami. I'm sure sometimes they have decent deals, and I thought it was the only airline to have nonstops between the two cities? Probably not as inexpensive as SWA, but the convenience of nonstop is really nice.

The nonstop out of Seattle was around 1 pm I think, and out of Miami it was in the morning..10 am maybe?

We are flying out of Seattle next month on this flight. Nonstop on Alaska to Miami. It was around $400pp. It leaves at 1030pm out of Seattle and around 8am out of Miami on the way home. I like the idea of nonstop, less hassle. Well worth the extra $$

I'm paying about CDN$360 (taxes included)/per person for a return flight from Seattle to Miami using American Airlines. Therefore we'll be parking our car at Seatac airport for over a week. It's our first cruise so we're excited!

It's pretty expensive to park at Seatac, I would research parking lots in the area that offer free shuttle to airport. Earlier this year we parked for about $6/day and after parking we were at the airport within 10 mins.

What I really dislike about flying from Seattle is the 3 hr drive home at the end of the holiday, when I just want to get home fast!!! And who wants to drive for 3 hrs when you have been travelling all day and have been up for a longggg time. Anyway happy travels to you :)

It's pretty expensive to park at Seatac, I would research parking lots in the area that offer free shuttle to airport. Earlier this year we parked for about $6/day and after parking we were at the airport within 10 mins.

What I really dislike about flying from Seattle is the 3 hr drive home at the end of the holiday, when I just want to get home fast!!! And who wants to drive for 3 hrs when you have been travelling all day and have been up for a longggg time. Anyway happy travels to you :)

Can I ask how long it takes to get through security etc... at SeaTac? This is the first time flying out of Seattle so any tips you have would be great. I am already eyeing up Park n Jet as the cost of parking at the airport is crazy!

Thanks

I haven't done the research yet on the parking. But thanks for the advice I will definitely look into it. Our flight leaves SeaTac at 10am, so we're planning to leave Vancouver in the wee hours. I hope the Peace Arch border crossing is open at 4am or so! When we come back from Miami (at around 10pm) we're planning to stay overnight outside of Seattle and perhaps do some outlet shopping before heading back home. Wow, you've got a lot of cruises under your belt. This is our first cruise ever! :D

I hope the Peace Arch border crossing is open at 4am or so! :D

Yes, Peace Arch is open 24/7. Keep in mind that if you are traveling during a weekday, you could run into rush hour traffic in Seattle. In 1997, we drove to Las Vegas and left the house about 4:30. We got just past Seattle by Boeing Field and came to a dead stop because of an accident. It took us an hour to get through the mess. Make sure you give yourself enough time to get to the airport.

no specific help, but we do a cruise/vacation a yr in FL. Always fly out of Buffalo at less than /?2 price. Last year my 7 yr old and I flew Buf-Sea for way less than going threw Canada and did the high speed Victoria clipper from Sea - Victoria.reoved the cheap monorail from seatac to downtown. This year we did do Priceline for the first time and got a great rate on 3* Marriott Biscayne Bay $105. Perhaps the offer of the quikshuttle may be a good one. Have a great cruise.

Archived