Question about passports and children

Scrappygrrl

Is the passport "enough" ID for my 6 y/o son? I have read several items about folks needing notarized permission from the other parent if not traveling etc, etc. That does not apply directly to our situation since my my husband and I are both going, but how does the cruise line know he is our son? My husband's last name is somewhat different than mine and my son's (we took a shortened version of his extremely long and hyphenated name). Do I need to bring his birth certificate showing both of us as his parents, in addtion to the passport?

Thanks!

First, your cruise line booking should be in the names on your passports...yours and your son's in the last name you use, and your husband's in his.

While I think it's unlikely you will be asked to prove that you are the actual parents because of the name difference (and if you are you could probably convince the agent by pointing out how your names are just shortened versions of his), to be on the safe side, just take your son's birth certificate with you...it's only an additional piece of paper.

I can't comment on the name other than it should be booked as it is listed on his passport.

Our son who is around the same age has never had a problem using his passport even though his picture was taken when he was 3. The most attention he had was when we went to Russia this year and he wasn't as tall as the counter and the "nice" Russian immigration woman was doing a motion with her finger which we figured she wanted him to turn around as they had a mirror on the ceiling behind him where she could get a better look at his face.

First, your cruise line booking should be in the names on your passports...yours and your son's in the last name you use, and your husband's in his.

While I think it's unlikely you will be asked to prove that you are the actual parents because of the name difference (and if you are you could probably convince the agent by pointing out how your names are just shortened versions of his), to be on the safe side, just take your son's birth certificate with you...it's only an additional piece of paper.

Good advice. And I think OP is very smart to be looking in to this now.

Have you seen the TLC "beind the scenses" show about Oasis of the Seas? Part of it was about problems pax have without proper documentation. Kids sailing with one (or no parent) is a problem if they don't have a letter of authorization from the other parent. The cruise line (and Customs & Immigration) doesn't know if one parent is trying to "smuggle" the child out of the country. In one instance in this program they required the other parent to fax a letter directly to the pier when they were trying to embark, otherwise they could not board.

Another problem is women who get married and change to their married name. On this program, there was one lady who booked the trip in her new mariried name, but her passport was still her prior name. She had to find someone to fax a copy of the marriage certificate (again directly to the pier). There was another incident where a woman accidently brought her expired passport instead of her new one, they would not let her board.

I think OP should be o.k. on the name thing since father is traveling and the names are "close". However, it would be wise to bring a birth certificate to be safe.

However, I don't know that anyone has answered the question about the passport card. Will that be acceptable instead of a passport?

Does anyone know if the entire name on the passport needs to be on the itinerary? When we booked our cruise they only asked for the first name and last name. My passport has my middle name, but the booking agent said there was no room to put a middle name :confused:. btw, I'm a Canadian citizen if that makes a difference.

Thanks Duffman -

We have a regular passport for him, not the card so we are good. Of course, now my husband thinks it is overkill to bring the birth certificate and thinks I am being crazy *sigh*.

We are totally fine; however, i guess I am just musing about the larger question: the cruise line gives you a hard time if the kid is traveling with just one parent (as they should), but it does not seem as if they go to great lengths to ensure that the two parents traveling with them are the actual parents.

At any rate, looking forward to a great cruise :D

Pompey - I am sorry I do not know the answer to your question.

Thanks Duffman -

We have a regular passport for him, not the card so we are good. Of course, now my husband thinks it is overkill to bring the birth certificate and thinks I am being crazy *sigh*.

We are totally fine; however, i guess I am just musing about the larger question: the cruise line gives you a hard time if the kid is traveling with just one parent (as they should), but it does not seem as if they go to great lengths to ensure that the two parents traveling with them are the actual parents.

I don't think it's "overkill", I saw the program Duffman refd to. "It is better to have it and not need it to need it and not have it."

You don't want to be standing in the terminal watching the ship leave because you didn't bring it!

I don't think it's "overkill", I saw the program Duffman refd to. "It is better to have it and not need it to need it and not have it."

You don't want to be standing in the terminal watching the ship leave because you didn't bring it!

I agree. I had also seen the same program just before answering the question, and that's why I suggested it was better to be on the safe side and take the BC.

Thanks Duffman -

A passport card would work for the cruise, but you can't use it for international air travel.

Does anyone know if the entire name on the passport needs to be on the itinerary? When we booked our cruise they only asked for the first name and last name. My passport has my middle name, but the booking agent said there was no room to put a middle name :confused:. btw, I'm a Canadian citizen if that makes a difference.

No need to worry. As long as your first and last names on the cruise reservation and passport match you're fine. There's no requirement for the cruise reservation to include your middle name.

We just finished an NCL cruise in Europe and back to US, then to Western Caribbean. My middle name is 9 characters (Katherine) and my last name is 8 characters, so even though my middle name is on my passport, it was not on any of my documents because the total name was too long. I did not have any problems with just my first and last names being used. I would think that would be true for Canadians as well.

Archived