Wedding Rings?

sboston06

Do any of the ladies here wear your diamond engagement or wedding rings when travelling in Europe? DH and I will be going to Barcelona for a cruise in 3 weeks, and I'm wondering if I should wear my rings or leave them at home (I have a cheap placeholder to wear instead). Of course I'd love to wear them and I have worn my engagement ring when travelling around the US and in Germany. I have read a lot of advice about leaving valuables at home and wonder if wedding rings are included in that category. My rings are not large or flashy either.

I know that European women wear diamonds all the time without issues, so that has been my argument for wearing them, but I wanted to ask other frequent travellers, especially those who have been to Barcelona.

I doubt if a pickpocket will take the ring off your finger! I wear my wedding band which has some diamonds on it and my engagement ring which is a sapphire surrounded by diamonds. I probably wouldn't wear a large 3+ carat diamond ring IF I thought I'd lose it somewhere but otherwise I wouldn't worry.

My sister wore her diamond stud earring on a European tour and lost them sooo I wouldn't suggest bringing your best jewelry if it is something you take on and off a lot and could possibly misplace!

i wore my diamond and saphire wedding set and a large (21/2 carat) aquamarnie and diamond right hand ring all over Europe-including in Barcelona-it never occured to me not to wear them.. I did leave them in the safe on the ship in Crete and in Sardina-but that was because we were going to the beach-and thanks to some weight loss i was concerned about loosing them in the water. I wore the same jewelry-my rings -some modest earings-usually medium sized sterling or gold hoops-and my wrist watch-that i wear in professional situations in the US. Although i would guess that both my husband and i have somewhat heightened situational awareness-We never felt like there was any kind of threat in any of the places we visited ( Venice, Florence, Rome,Messina,Kudasai/Ephesus,Athens,Genoa,Portofino, Villfranche,Nice,Eze,Barcelona,Palma,Caligilari,and back in Rome) We walked on our own and used public transportation a good bit of the time.

Wearing wedding and engagement rings is common in Europe and the rings will be safe on your finger. However, if you wear a very glitzy or large diamond engagement ring it does make you more of an interesting target for pickpockets and hotel thieves. They will assume that if you have an expensive ring you will have lots of cash and credit cards. Gypsies are professionals and they know how to size up a mark by looking at their clothes, purses, rings, watches, etc. We have managed to travel internationally for over forty years without ever losing anything to a thief or pickpocket...and we attribute this to the fact that we do little to call attention to ourselves (we tend to avoid tours and groups) and never overdress. Of course one should always follow the common advice of experts such as carrying money in a front pocket (or a more secure location), wearing your purse cross-shoulder (my DW also likes to use a diaper pin to secure the zippers), and always being aware of your surroundings. When we see a tourist standing in a crowded area looking down at a map it makes us cringe (they are an easy target). In other words, a little common sense goes a long way to ensuring security.

Hank

Yes, I wore my rings. I know theives would not be interested in them, but if they were, maybe I would get an upgrade:rolleyes: I was told to believe that if I kept them in dishwater that they would expand over the years...I'm still waiting:o

Yes, I wore my rings. I know theives would not be interested in them, but if they were, maybe I would get an upgrade:rolleyes: I was told to believe that if I kept them in dishwater that they would expand over the years...I'm still waiting:o

My sister-in-law has a platinum wedding/engagement set that is gorgeous. She bought a simple gold wedding band also - whenever she travels anywhere new to her she swaps them out. She thinks coming and going from a hotel could set you up for being followed and robbed if someone thinks she has money. I'd think the same thing would apply when at home but she also removes her rings each night to wash up and she's also afraid of losing them in a hotel room. Doing so at home is a better chance she'll find them.

I wouldn't travel with any jewelry that is a family heirloom or has real sentimental value. I left my diamond drop necklace at home and wore costume jewelry in port and on the ship. But I did wear diamond stud earrings and my wedding band with diamonds because they're not big and flashy. I think that's the key - lots of gold and diamonds in port, any port, makes you look like an easy mark.

I wouldn't travel with any jewelry that is a family heirloom or has real sentimental value. I left my diamond drop necklace at home and wore costume jewelry in port and on the ship. But I did wear diamond stud earrings and my wedding band with diamonds because they're not big and flashy. I think that's the key - lots of gold and diamonds in port, any port, makes you look like an easy mark.

I leave my good stuff at home, especially if we are flying as I want to make sure my jewelry goes to my heirs if we go down (yes, afraid of flying)

• 2 weeks later...

I take off my diamond solitaire and put it in the safe box. I wear only the wedding band in which I was married and wear only smallish costume jewelry while in ports. While in Athens last year, I talked to two women who had been the victims of theft.... Both flashed lovely jewelry. One woman's purse was taken, one had her husband targeted by pickpockets.

Makes sense, if Mama has nice jewelry, Daddy may have cash in his pockets. Just my take on things.

I wear mine.

Here's the deal. If you are a tourist (especially American) that means you have the money for airfare, hotels, meals etc. and usually cash or credit cards on you and a target regardless of what jewelry you wear.

Now, I do not go overboard and wear multiple rings, my diamond tennis bracelet, my diamond stud earrings etc etc...... but my wedding band (covered in diamonds) - yes I wear it.

The important thing (like Hank said) is to be aware and conscious of what is going on around you....... keep valuables tucked in, pinned in, whatever while you are out. Have actually seen women tourists lay their purse on the table or hang it from the chair.....that is asking for trouble.

Archived