Group On-Board: Should I Be Concerned?

MightyQuinn

We’ve been traveling for the past 4 weeks so I’m a bit behind on the news. I recently read a press release that Paul Gauguin will be the venue for a Digital Photography Workshop on our 14-day cruise in 2011. A group of 20 photographers will participate in exclusive on-board lectures, hands-on workshops & evening sessions under the guidance of several expert instructors. Once the cruise is over, they will publish a book of their best photographs. The workshop & on-board events will only be open to those who reserve with the group.

With spouses/partners, the group could get upwards of 40 people or up to 12% of ship capacity. From recent reports, Paul Gauguin has not been sailing full so the potential % could be much higher. What impact might such a group have on regular pax? Would we be denied access to venues that the group has reserved? Would it impact dining or shorex?

We've been on other (mid-size) ships where members of small groups acted like divas & demanded a lot of crew attention. This wasn't pleasant for the rest of us. I have no idea how PG handles groups, except for a less than favourable review that I read about a 2010 sailing that had a large company group on-board. I think much depends on the behavior & personalities of members of the group.

We have full flexibility to change our sailing to another date & would certainly do so if we would be negatively affected. So is this a biggie or a non-issue? Any & all advice appreciated.

You're right to be concerned. But this type of group sounds pretty benign to me. We were on board in 2005 with a large corporate group of A-type personalities and their trophy wives and that was a big problem--but the group was over 100, actually close to half the ship. A group of ~40 doesn't sound like a problem, and photographers are probably pretty quiet, unlike the yahoos we were stuck with (who took over the main dining room at times, had their own cocktail parties, and absented themselves from the ship's entertainment.)

In fact we were on board another time with a birthday group from L.A. that was almost the size of yours, and they were a pretty fun bunch who had no negative impact on the rest of us. And in fact the *very first* time we were on the ship there was a fairly substantial group of life insurance salesmen on board who had no impact on the ambience of the ship at all.

The only group of any size I have experienced on the PG was a group of stock brokers, and while they seemed to congregate for the first day or so, by the end of the cruise everyone was mixing and mingling. I have seen MANY small groups (I have one planned for next summer!:o) and usually enjoyed their companionship (I was even made an honorary member of the Half-Moon Bay Yacht Club:cool:).

I wouldn't worry about it (of course, I am a photographer).

PS: Wendy is always the last word on the PG (even though I have five more days onboard than her! :-) )

PS: Wendy is always the last word on the PG (even though I have five more days onboard than her! :-) )

Oh no, oh no, you get that title! Days count!

I agree with you MtnDriver, a group that size should not impact Quinn. I remember when we were sitting at the, oh, Meridien I think, in Papeete having lunch before we boarded our very first PG trip, and we sat and chatted with a nice couple from the mid-west and found out we were on the ship with a bunch of insurance salesmen! My heart sank, believe me (apologies to all insurance salesmen.) They had their "do's", cocktail parties and such, but as you said, within a couple of days they were totally beached and relaxed.

Thanks for the reassurances from you both.

Wendy, you cracked me up with your descriptions of some on-board groups. Type As. Trophy wives. Yahoos. Exactly what we're hoping to avoid. I agree that semi-pro photographers should be better behaved than those you encountered. But you never know.

MtnDriver, good on ya for receiving honourary group membership in Half-Moon Bay Yacht Club. That sounds like fun! Actually, my DH fancies himself as a bit of a photog so he's secretly hoping for a similar invite from this group.

Just for reference, here are the comments from a June/10 cruise that initially gave me pause for being on-board PG with a group. I'm glad to know about your more positive experiences to balance it out. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25393072&postcount=14

Actually, it sounds like a pretty fun group that you might get friendly with a few of them and get some good photog tips... sounds like a pretty benign type of group, too.

Which date is your 14-day cruise? We're going in August 2011 on the 14-day intinerary.

Hap

Which date is your 14-day cruise? We're going in August 2011 on the 14-day intinerary.
The 10th Annual Digital Photography Workshop Cruise will be held on the April 16, 2011 sailing. The sessions & events will not be open to any PG pax who are not registered as part of this group. Nevertheless, we're hoping a few hot tips will come our way!

In addition, there are photo workshops scheduled for both August 20 & August 27, 2011 sailings. Pros will share their expertise with all PG pax during on-board lectures and hands-on photo expeditions. So these workshops are a little different in that they will be an added perk for all pax. You're in luck!

The 10th Annual Digital Photography Workshop Cruise will be held on the April 16, 2011 sailing. The sessions & events will not be open to any PG pax who are not registered as part of this group. Nevertheless, we're hoping a few hot tips will come our way!

In addition, there are photo workshops scheduled for both August 20 & August 27, 2011 sailings. Pros will share their expertise with all PG pax during on-board lectures and hands-on photo expeditions. So these workshops are a little different in that they will be an added perk for all pax. You're in luck!

Wow, I hope they do something like this in 2012. We want to do a PG cruise and it would drive me crazy if there were professional photographers onboard and we could not join. The August cruises sound great.

MightyQuinn are you booked for the April 16, 2011 cruise.? We are booked for this one and I started a Roll Call on these boards a couple weeks ago. There has not been a single post yet for any one else on this cruise. Thanks for the info on the photo workshop group as I would definately love photo tips in what will be the most beautiful locations that we will ever take photos. Hope I have enough memory space to hold all the photos that I want to take.

Actually, it sounds like a pretty fun group that you might get friendly with a few of them and get some good photog tips... sounds like a pretty benign type of group, too.

Hap

Hapster!

I cruised with you on the Grand Princess earlier this year! Mike and I are thinking of booking the PG for Feb 2011.

How are you and Karla?

Had a blast on the Grand with you guys!

Safe travels!

Belinda

Hey, Cool, Belinda!! That was a GREAT cruise.... love the Caribbean!!!

We're going on our annual 7-day to Mexico on the Sapphire in a few weeks and then won't be cruising again till the PG in August. My biggest fear is that we are going to be so spoiled by the PG that we'll never want to cruise in the mass market ever again LOL....

We've been well. Hope you and yours have been, too!!!

Cheers... Hap

Archived