Tentatively booked on Navigator to Alaska - First time on Regent

I'm seriously looking at an Alaska itinerary on Navigator this coming summer, Vancouver-Seward. I'm a Holland America loyalist, who has decided it's time to try something new. I've learned a great deal already by reading this forum. My travel agent has placed a courtesy hold for me, and is awaiting my decision. I'm pretty sure I will proceed. Mostly I'm here to say "thank you" for all the information that you have provided, and which helped me make the move.

Tall ship, are you with your Mom on this crusie?!

Wendy, can't believe you haven't done Alaska yet, I think you and your husband would just love it! My three cruises to Alaska have been among my favorites....why I keep going back. But then,I know you are more connected to the FP cruises.

Tall ship, are you with your Mom on this crusie?!

Wendy, can't believe you haven't done Alaska yet, I think you and your husband would just love it! My three cruises to Alaska have been among my favorites....why I keep going back. But then,I know you are more connected to the FP cruises.

No but I am looking for one to do with her in 2011. Any suggestions? Pricing has gone up so we are watching out for some good offers.

Wendy - join us on this cruise......!!!!

I love Alaska; this will be my fifth cruise there. My sister is accompanying me, and this will be her third Alaska cruise. As we both live in the Seattle area, it's an easy choice to make, involving minimal or no air travel, depending on itinerary. My sister and I plan to be on the Navigator's May 25th-June 1st run from Vancouver to Seward. We're just working out the details now with our travel agent. We'll be cancelling the Alaska cruise we've booked with Holland America to do this one. We are looking forward to our time together sans husbands, children, or grand-children, all of whom we love dearly, but not on a cruise ship;) (we learned this the hard way).

Well, husbands aside, if you don't want kids or others aboard, this is surely the cruise for you with these dates! Hope you will have a great time and report on your return, if not when you are onboard! Obviously, you already know what you are in for! Just hope you will try Regent, for just a change if nothing else!

Thanks very much for the good wishes. We will let you know how it goes, but I anticipate a good journey on Regent. I am very ready for a change:) And just for the record, I have no issues with other people bringing along their spouses, significant others, or children and grandchildren;). In our particular situation, my sister and I have learned that our families are not the cruising fiends that we are. So we've started a tradition of doing a little jaunt or two every year on our own. Works out for everyone.

Thanks for the welcome. A special thanks to CC member Colomom, whose excellent review and photos of her Alaska cruise on the Navigator were the catalyst for my decision.

When Navigator replaced Mariner for the Alaskan trips, I was concerned because I found the Observation lounge on Mariner was often full. Indeed, I myself spent a lot of time there looking at the scenery. As I understand, Navigator does not have this lounge and I thought there would be some derogatory comments. However, cruisers seem to be quite content and happy with the ship.

Yes!! A big shout out of thanks to Colomom's excellent and amazing online photos and posts re: her Regent Alaska cruise. I had already reserved my August 31, 2011 Alaska cruise but was considering cancelling and switching to a penthouse on Celebrity. BUT, when I found myself enjoying Colomom's postings, soooo much, I knew that I must be a part of this friendly Regent family! It is my hope to pay it forward and do a nice on line photo album next Aug/Sept as well.

:)

Angie In San Diego

A special thanks to CC member Colomom, whose excellent review and photos of her Alaska cruise on the Navigator were the catalyst for my decision.

When Navigator replaced Mariner for the Alaskan trips, I was concerned because I found the Observation lounge on Mariner was often full. Indeed, I myself spent a lot of time there looking at the scenery. As I understand, Navigator does not have this lounge and I thought there would be some derogatory comments. However, cruisers seem to be quite content and happy with the ship.

June 2010, I enjoyed our balcony and the exterior aft area outside Galileo's the best. The exterior forward area on Deck 12 (where we viewed Hubbard Glacier) and the public walkway port Deck 6 (where the G suites are located) and where one could really hear the glacial ice crackling were also good spots. It was kind of nice to "feel the chill" versus just observing it.

Thanks very much for the good wishes. We will let you know how it goes, but I anticipate a good journey on Regent. I am very ready for a change:) And just for the record, I have no issues with other people bringing along their spouses, significant others, or children and grandchildren;). In our particular situation, my sister and I have learned that our families are not the cruising fiends that we are. So we've started a tradition of doing a little jaunt or two every year on our own. Works out for everyone.

Thanks for the welcome. A special thanks to CC member Colomom, whose excellent review and photos of her Alaska cruise on the Navigator were the catalyst for my decision.

Yes!! A big shout out of thanks to Colomom's excellent and amazing online photos and posts re: her Regent Alaska cruise. I had already reserved my August 31, 2011 Alaska cruise but was considering cancelling and switching to a penthouse on Celebrity. BUT, when I found myself enjoying Colomom's postings, soooo much, I knew that I must be a part of this friendly Regent family! It is my hope to pay it forward and do a nice on line photo album next Aug/Sept as well.

:)

Angie In San Diego

WOW!!! Thank you so much for the shout out ladies! I really hope you have as much fun and make memories like Brian-Honey and I did. I will be watching the board for your cruises and will look forward to your glowing reviews!!

Now, if I could just figure out how to swing going again....

I think in Alaska I would make sure to have some really warm clothing so I could be outside on deck as much as possible instead of in the observation lounge anyways. Of course on your balcony you could wrap yourself in blankets! I'm betting the serve hot drinks on deck too?

That is not suitable for everyone. Older, more infirm people, perhaps in wheelchairs, need the Observation lounge. The fact that it was always full at Hubbard Glacier, for one example, testifies to this need.

Nevertheless I am pleased that Navigator fills the bill for most people.

That is not suitable for everyone. Older, more infirm people, perhaps in wheelchairs, need the Observation lounge. The fact that it was always full at Hubbard Glacier, for one example, testifies to this need.

Nevertheless I am pleased that Navigator fills the bill for most people.

You bring up a good point! We did find, however, that we could see quite a bit from inside. At Hubbard Glacier, the wonderful Capt. McNeill went in a slow circle which enabled everyone to get a full view of the spectacular site.

I took a lot of really warm clothes on our Alaska cruise, and I made good use of them out on deck. But would really be too cold for older people.

I actually had to go buy a fleece cap to wear out on my daily walking the top deck excursions.

But Alaska is wonderful. Wendy, you should really do it! Pick a date in 2012, and I am there to be your guide.

I think in Alaska I would make sure to have some really warm clothing so I could be outside on deck as much as possible instead of in the observation lounge anyways. Of course on your balcony you could wrap yourself in blankets! I'm betting the serve hot drinks on deck too?

If this is within an individual's constitution / capacity, I agree.

And yes, the waiters were quite lovely wandering around with cups of hot chocolate, coffee... while we were at the glacier.

I know, I know, we've got to do it! I'd like to do it in the spring, since the days are longer, and I've heard that weather is better. But July/August 2012 might work, since I want to plan a post-retirement trip if my husband retires July 1st of that year. So many destinations, so little, uh, money!

I was on Navigator, like cruiseluv, on my first cruise to Alaska in 2000. It was COLD outside when we were at Hubbard Glacier. (I think this was in July) There are a couple of differences, as I remember between the two ships, even when Navigator had an Observation Lounge.

Navigator's old observation lounge (current location of the gym) was also crowded, and in addition to that, seated, all you could see when you sat inside were the backs of people lining the bow on the outside. If you wanted good pix, you simply had to be outside on EITHER ship if you want a panorama for pictures. The back end of Galileo's Lounge I just loved!

Mariners Observation Lounge (for two cruises)is sort of pitched out in front one deck above the bow. When you are in it, there are no obstructions, you have good few from INSIDE. But outside on same deck, there are only two little areas on the sides of that room looking straight ahead for pictures without crowds in front of you. So limited viewing as it was crowded inside every time we were in prime viewing areas.

Editing to say, I remember my first cruise on the Navigator that mulled wine that the servers were passing around!

SO, if you are interested in photographing this beautiful area, either do it from your balcony on either side of the ship as you pass these areas, or you will just have to move outside! I cannot fathom what it would be like on a cruise with 2,700 others on a bigger ship, as the space per person is much less.

:o After further discussion, research, and deliberation, my sister and I will be doing an Alaska cruise in June 2011 on Oceania's Regatta instead. We wanted to try some ports which are new to us, and the Oceania itineraries provide new ports a-plenty.

I'm sorry to abandon the Regent ship so precipitously, but as I'm transferring to Oceania, I don't think Mr. Del Rio will mind. So far, I'm quite impressed with what I'm learning about both cruise lines.

Colomom, I'm still very grateful to you for your marvelous Alaska trip report on the Navigator:). My sister will probably do a blog with photos from the Regatta, or from our port stops, internet service and pricing permitting. She enjoys tinkering with photo and computer equipment.

I hope I'll have an opportunity in the future to cruise with Regent. Bon Voyage to everyone, whatever your destination!

Archived