Alternate restaurant reservation policy on Marina

wripro

I think Oceania explicitly did not disclose this policy until now exactly because they knew it would cause disappointment and anger among those who have booked PHs.

This is not about anyone thinking they are better. It's about getting what you pay for, or think you're paying for.

As I have said perviously, and others agree, the amount of alternate restaurant spots available should have been taken into consideration when planning the ship. There need to be MANY reasons for paying so much extra for a PH, not just the larger size, and one of the main ones for me was the extra reservations. They have miscalculated imo that people will just let it go.

I'm not certain that there needs to be a reason for paying so much extra for a PH other than the larger size and agree with what Benita has said above.

Taking a look at the current pricing of the inaugural cruise:

The difference between an inside and an oceanview is at least $900. There is no difference in any service between the two categories; the pricing difference is all because of the larger space and a window.

The difference between an oceanview and the lowest balcony is $800. There is no difference in any service between the two categories; the pricing difference is all because of the larger space and a balcony.

The difference between the highest (concierge) balcony and lowest penthouse (i.e., same service) is $600, and the difference is a larger space...

The difference between the highest penthouse and Oceania suite is $2,100.

Also, if you want the "same treatment" as was on the R ships, I believe the concierge class balconies on the R ships also got the 2 reservations per restaurant treatment, so if you wanted "fair" or the "the same as R" treatment, you have to apply that policy across all of the cabins starting at A4 level, not just PH level... don't think that this is physically possible.

Perhaps a compromise is to have 1 reservation for each restaurant plus 2 extra for the A4s and PHs to choose at which restaurant they would like to go; if they use it at Polo and Toscana then it's the same as it was on the R ships. Don't know if that will work physically but it should answer some of the criticism of "unfair" treatment.

That to me shows real caring for the line that you love. It is much more constructive than the staunch, "my line can do no wrong" cheerleading that often occurs on cruise "critic".

I would be interested in finding out from others who have sailed on a Inaugural cruise just how smooth everything goes the first sailing. Behind the scenes is probably a scene from the 3 Stooges. Oceania has some things that need to be improved but realistically, those in Concierge and above received 4 reservations and with the exception of PH/Concierge on Marina will still receive 4 reservations. I have not seen a thread on this forum where anyone went without food for more than a few hours. I feel confident that if Oceania made an error (still haven't reviewed the brochure) they will make it right. If not, those that are not satisfied with the dining can make the decision not to go or rebook a different category. I see that this topic is being argued for the sake of argument. JanCruz who I saw on Saturday is feverishly making contacts with Oceania upper management to get a clarification for all of us. IMO, as a courtesy to her let's wait and see what she reports.

Now, it is time for some levity. I will throw in my specialty restaurant reservation if I get to jump the line and have first dibs on a washing machine. I don't mean to put down a situation that is very important to some people, but if you can't see some humor, you really need a cruise.

Now, it is time for some levity. I will throw in my specialty restaurant reservation if I get to jump the line and have first dibs on a washing machine. I don't mean to put down a situation that is very important to some people, but if you can't see some humor, you really need a cruise.

Will you be able to get sandwiches delivered to the laundry room?

Will you be able to get sandwiches delivered to the laundry room?

Maybe. But if you are a passenger in a PH, OS or VS, your butler will bring you food from the specialty restaurants to the laundry room -- rank has its privileges!

Will there be a corkage fee for your wine:p

Maybe. But if you are a passenger in a PH, OS or VS, your butler will bring you food from the specialty restaurants to the laundry room -- rank has its privileges!

I don't think you'll see too many people from OS,VS in the laundry room.

PH maybe, but remember, they have been downgraded - no specialty restaurant orders to the laundry room for them ;).

We travel in an OS or VS and have met some of the nicest people in the laundry room who were also in one of these suites! (Hi, Len);)

Good - then you might get your steak sandwich from Polo delivered to the laundry room after all :D

Interesting that there has been so much interest in this issue. Obviously, many people feel the same as I do regarding this deception and downgrade of perks to those in a PH.

Regarding Hondorner's equation that you still get four reservations at one each as you do with two each on the R ships that would only make sense if there were two Polos and two Toscanas on the Marina instead of four different restaurants. But being a reader and contributor on several cruise line boards at CC I understand there there are defenders of each cruise line who see no flaw and take criticism as if it were about their grandchildren.

I love the Oceania product however this is a deal breaker for me. They have misled us by allowing us to assume the policy would be the same as the R ships and it is only now, less than three months before the maiden voyage, that this new information is coming out. I cannot believe that the management did not know about this long ago. If they didn't they should be replaced immediately.

Interesting that there has been so much interest in this issue. Obviously, many people feel the same as I do regarding this deception and downgrade of perks to those in a PH.

Regarding Hondorner's equation that you still get four reservations at one each as you do with two each on the R ships that would only make sense if there were two Polos and two Toscanas on the Marina instead of four different restaurants. But being a reader and contributor on several cruise line boards at CC I understand there there are defenders of each cruise line who see no flaw and take criticism as if it were about their grandchildren.

I love the Oceania product however this is a deal breaker for me. They have misled us by allowing us to assume the policy would be the same as the R ships and it is only now, less than three months before the maiden voyage, that this new information is coming out. I cannot believe that the management did not know about this long ago. If they didn't they should be replaced immediately.

"Deception"? "Misled"?

Look, first of all, I am NOT a "defender" of Oceania who sees "no flaw and take criticism as if it were about their grandchildren"...

Anyone who knows me or has read my volume of posts knows that I cruise several lines--including Oceania--and that I actually prefer Celebrity and that I see, in morst lines, both the good and bad...

Oceania, like all cruise lines, has its good points and its bad points...If they are doing something right, I will commend them...and if they've done something wrong...or that might be improved, I will point it out...

If I saw anything here that Oceania had done or is doing wrong, I would jump right on it with you...

BUT, as I said many posts ago in this thread, even before Don pointed it out, you are getting the SAME four specialty reservations you always got...there is NO downgrade here...

And, remember, you can always get additional nights in these specialty restaurants when available...

Anyone who read the policy as it applied to the older ships with two specialty restaurants and somehow applied that to the Marina and assumed it meant they were doubling their restaurant reservation allocation, well, that was a misunderstanding on YOUR part...nothing that Oceania did to be "deceptive" or to mislead you...

It seemed fairly clear to me from Day One that the policy would have to be different on Marina...As has been well pointed out here by Don and others, the numbers don't otherwise add up...

"Allowing you to assume the policy would be the same as on the R ships"??

YOU are the one who made invalid and illogical assumptions...

A realistic and logical assumption would be things would be different...

Perhaps the "same" as on the R ships would mean four reservations ONLY, split between Polo and Toscana ONLY...that would be the same as on the R ships...

I, for one, assume a few things will be different than on the R ships...after all, it is a different ship with different facilities.

What I find troubling is that veteran cruisers with considerable cruising experience would be so indignant regarding this particular "issue" which is based, for the most part, on their own misconceptions...

I, for one, am EXCITED about the opportunity to cruise on the Marina...I cannot wait to experience the two new specialty restaurants (and still would even if I could only visit each one time for certain on the cruise...I know I will still get a great meal in one of the venues EVERY night of the cruise)...I cannot wait to see whatever entertainment they come up with in the new dedicated showroom...I cannot wait to experience the new and larger stateroom facilities...And I also cannot wait to return to the things that I DO like about Oceania--the excellent food, the great service, the uncrowded ships, the great itinerary, the friendly crew, etc.

Even if I thought, wrongly, that I was getting more reservations , that NO WAY would cause me to bolt from my chosen cruise and head elsewhere...

Does one REALLY book cruises based on the number of specialty restaurant reservations one gets?

I am really having trouble understanding the reason for such unwarranted indignation...

Finally, someone brings the topic back to where it should be. I really think all the joking around in this thread is out of place here. Since I spend a lot of my time in the Floataway Lounge goofing off, I think levity is a good thing, but it has no place when there is an important topic being discussed.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Anyone who read the policy as it applied to the older ships with two specialty restaurants and somehow applied that to the Marina and assumed it meant they were doubling their restaurant reservation allocation, well, that was a misunderstanding on YOUR part...nothing that Oceania did to be "deceptive" or to mislead you...

"Allowing you to assume the policy would be the same as on the R ships"??

YOU are the one who made invalid and illogical assumptions...

Steve, the only thing I want to add to your post is that those who "allowed themselves to assume the policy would be the same as on R ships" are in VERY good and distinguished company - that of Jancruz herself. Thus they were just as foolish as Jan was ;)

See her post #12 on this thread only 5 days ago.

Not to mention that Oceania never did officially say that the dining policy on Marina would be different (until a couple of days ago).

Why didn't they if, as you say, (quote) "It seemed fairly clear to me from Day One that the policy would have to be different on Marina"

Why was is not so clear to the powers that be at Oceania?

PS FWIW, I do agree that the numbers on the Marina do not add up. I rarely (if ever) sail in PH, so I do not have much vested interest in this topic. I just don't like the way it is/was handled (or mishandled).

"Deception"? "Misled"?

I, for one, assume a few things will be different than on the R ships...after all, it is a different ship with different facilities.

What I find troubling is that veteran cruisers with considerable cruising experience would be so indignant regarding this particular "issue" which is based, for the most part, on their own misconceptions...

I, for one, am EXCITED about the opportunity to cruise on the Marina...I cannot wait to experience the two new specialty restaurants (and still would even if I could only visit each one time for certain on the cruise...I know I will still get a great meal in one of the venues EVERY night of the cruise)...I cannot wait to see whatever entertainment they come up with in the new dedicated showroom...I cannot wait to experience the new and larger stateroom facilities...And I also cannot wait to return to the things that I DO like about Oceania--the excellent food, the great service, the uncrowded ships, the great itinerary, the friendly crew, etc.

Even if I thought, wrongly, that I was getting more reservations , that NO WAY would cause me to bolt from my chosen cruise and head elsewhere...

Does one REALLY book cruises based on the number of specialty restaurant reservations one gets?

I am really having trouble understanding the reason for such unwarranted indignation...

Me, too. It will be a thrill just to be on Marina. :D

Steve, the only thing I want to add to your post is that those who "allowed themselves to assume the policy would be the same as on R ships" are in VERY good and distinguished company - that of Jancruz herself. Thus they were just as foolish as Jan was ;)

See her post #12 on this thread only 5 days ago.

Not to mention that Oceania never did officially say that the dining policy on Marina would be different (until a couple of days ago).

Why didn't they if, as you say, (quote) "It seemed fairly clear to me from Day One that the policy would have to be different on Marina"

Why was is not so clear to the powers that be at Oceania?

PS FWIW, I do agree that the numbers on the Marina do not add up. I rarely (if ever) sail in PH, so I do not have much vested interest in this topic. I just don't like the way it is/was handled (or mishandled).

I guess let me say it SHOULD have been evident if one had thought about it for awhile, perhaps...

As far as the powers that be at Oceania, I don't think they intended to misrepresent or mislead anyone. Compared to the larger cruise lines, they operate with a smaller staff...and my guess is that with launching a new ship and all, they've been busy...They've had other more important issues to deal with and probably just put this one aside until they had time to address it--probably not realizing some people wouldn't quite get it on their own...and figuring, no one was close to the process of making those reservations quite yet...

Having run some major operations myself, I know that it's near impossible to hit the ground running on a new venture...to have every policy, rule and procedure laid out from day one...especially on a completely new operation...

Heck, in 53 days I am cruising on the RCCL Allure of the Seas...Royal Caribbean's got a much bigger staff than Oceania...and the Allure is identical to the Oasis that they rolled out last year...You would think everything would be up and running like clockwork, right? Well, 53 days from my sailing and three weeks from their inaugural sailing and one still cannot rent a tuxedo on the ship...the "pull down" menu on their formalwear web page doesn't yet list the Allure on the list of ships!

So, I really do not think it is a big deal that Oceania didn't get the specialty dining system and rules posted until now...No way anyone should have assumed that the same rules apply for a ship with four specialty restaurants as for ones with two...Everyone should have known some tweaking was coming...Hey, the R ship policy also doesn't even acknowledge Oceania Suites--like the two new specialty restaurants, those didn't exist on the R ships...So, what were those same people assuming for those? Not mentioned as getting reservations, did they think those got zero?

Most importantly of all, I certainly do not think Oceania in any way meant to mislead, misrepresent or deceive anyone...That is where I think those stamping their feet and threatening to cancel are really way off base. Rather than blaming Oceania for "deceiving" them, they should be reflecting on their own assumptions and saying, "Gee...how did I miss that one?"...And, if they really booked their cruise solely or materially on the basis of getting 8 advance reservations rather than four, they should either downgrade their cabin category choice and/or take the four reservations and then, while on the ship, talk to the Maitre d' and ask about additional reservations...my guess is they can get them.

I guess let me say it SHOULD have been evident if one had thought about it for awhile, perhaps...

As far as the powers that be at Oceania, I don't think they intended to misrepresent or mislead anyone. Compared to the larger cruise lines, they operate with a smaller staff...and my guess is that with launching a new ship and all, they've been busy...They've had other more important issues to deal with and probably just put this one aside until they had time to address it--probably not realizing some people wouldn't quite get it on their own...and figuring, no one was close to the process of making those reservations quite yet...

Basically you've said something I started to post yesterday and then decided not to. (Or I think I decided not to.)

I doubt this is deliberate on their part, it's just that there is SO MUCH to consider. And clearly they didn't think the reservation policy would upset so many people.

Now, it does not upset us. We tend not to use all the reservations we're entitled to anyway ... that's because we really like the GDR and are not all that wild about Toscana. I'm sure on MARINA we'd want to try each restaurant at least once (on our first cruise), but whether we'd go back more than once? Probably not. (Okay, let me re-phrase that ... we might well want to go back to one or two of the restaurants, but probably not all.)

That doesn't mean I don't sympathize with those of you for whom this is a serious issue. It's your vacation, you have the right to have it go the way you want it to!

But in the grand scheme of things, the number of reservations available to the various cabin levels probably wasn't at the top of the list for management. That doesn't mean they are bad people and it doesn't mean they won't address the issue when Frank starts reading this thread!

I seem to recall that when Oceania first started up, the inaugural cruises on Regatta and Insignia had a fair number of wrinkles ... I would think that is to be expected.

Having run some major operations myself, I know that it's near impossible to hit the ground running on a new venture...to have every policy, rule and procedure laid out from day one...especially on a completely new operation...

Heck, in 53 days I am cruising on the RCCL Allure of the Seas...Royal Caribbean's got a much bigger staff than Oceania...and the Allure is identical to the Oasis that they rolled out last year...You would think everything would be up and running like clockwork, right? Well, 53 days from my sailing and three weeks from their inaugural sailing and one still cannot rent a tuxedo on the ship...the "pull down" menu on their formalwear web page doesn't yet list the Allure on the list of ships!

So, I really do not think it is a big deal that Oceania didn't get the specialty dining system and rules posted until now...No way anyone should have assumed that the same rules apply for a ship with four specialty restaurants as for ones with two...Everyone should have known some tweaking was coming...Hey, the R ship policy also doesn't even acknowledge Oceania Suites--like the two new specialty restaurants, those didn't exist on the R ships...So, what were those same people assuming for those? Not mentioned as getting reservations, did they think those got zero?

Most importantly of all, I certainly do not think Oceania in any way meant to mislead, misrepresent or deceive anyone...That is where I think those stamping their feet and threatening to cancel are really way off base. Rather than blaming Oceania for "deceiving" them, they should be reflecting on their own assumptions and saying, "Gee...how did I miss that one?"...And, if they really booked their cruise solely or materially on the basis of getting 8 advance reservations rather than four, they should either downgrade their cabin category choice and/or take the four reservations and then, while on the ship, talk to the Maitre d' and ask about additional reservations...my guess is they can get them.

You certainly stated what a lot of us have been thinking. Thank You:)

Lets put things in perspective:

Would you rather be living in Somalia/Haiti or limited to one reservation in each restaurant!!

Lets see the glass as half full, not half empty, be happy we can be on a cruise ship and have a good bed and good food.

Archived