Handicapped room - pros and cons?

Alsmez

I agree that HC rooms should be for those who need them, and applaud X for requiring a Special Needs form be filled out.

It read to me that the OP poster was not only NOT looking to "take" a HC cabin away from someone, but sensitive to that fact!! Kudos to you :)!

However there is a point at which X feels that it is time for an unbooked cabin to go into the available pool. Which seems to be the case here as the OP saw it on sea scanner.

It does X no good to sail with an empty cabin so, here's my question: when is it okay to "snag" one of the HC open rooms (meaning close to sailing date, not meaning pretending you need it) ?

btw - for those who need some assistance, but not a full-out HC room, X's Special Needs dept is very helpful. I'll be traveling in less than two weeks :D with 2 BFFs. One just had a hip replacement and is still using a cane. X is providing a shower stool and a raised toilet seat. There are also wheelchair porters available at embarkation and disembarkation so she won't have to stand in line.

Sara

Thanks for the btw - that is the situation I am in when travelling with my mother. She is not wheelchair or scooter yet... but walks very unsteadily and slowly and is prone to lightheadedness and even blackouts. Therefore we really appreciate the help with transporting her in airports or cruise terminals in a wheelchair. Otherwise, we'd be the first ones on and the last ones to our room.

The one area that is a real concern is that my mother always uses a handicapped restroom and has a great deal of difficulty with showers and baths. It's frustrating for her to have to have me help her in and out of the shower or tub. Even more frustrating for her with the toilet. So, may end up having to see how she progresses the next few years...l God willing.

Hopefully we have many more years to travel together.

I am glad that cruisies are a viable option for disabled travellers. I am always happy to see those brave folks out on the seas, I am sure there are many that don't travel for one reason or another.

We booked an inside guarantee for a Nov. 17 mini on Eclipse and 2 weeks ago they gave us an inside handicapped room. I thot it was odd as we never requested this and obviously with 30 days left to sailing they had a reason for doing this. We doing a b2b and moving up to a hump C2 on the 20th. It's not even the same floor so who knows what X is up to. I just hope no one thinks that we requested this.
When you book a guarantee for a B2B, there is always a chance you will end up having to switch cabins. Since X assigned you the cabin and it is relatively close to sail date, I don't see it being an issue that you were given an HC cabin. I don't think anyone expects an HC cabin to be reserved until sail date just in case someone needs it. If it's less than 6 weeks until sail date, the cruiseline should start assigning any empty cabins to the guarantee holders. Most people who need HC cabins book their cruises well in advance.

Uh, what's not true?
That's what I was wondering. I've sailed with my mom three times in HC cabins because she needs one. Two of the three times, the shower drain did not function well and the cabin would flood if we didn't lay a towel across the doorway while showering. I had quite a river going into the cabin one morning. :o I didn't realize it until my mom started pounding on the bathroom door. Our cabin steward seemed used to it and was very gracious about getting the wet-vac out to take care of the problem.

Also, I've never been in an HC cabin with a couch, but I haven't stayed in a suite (2 balconies, 1 OV). We've always had a single chair instead of a couch or loveseat with a chair like the non-HC cabins had. That arrangement was okay for the two of us since I could use the chair and my mom preferred to stay in her wheelchair. A couch would have been nice but there wouldn't have been enough space for my mom to get around with one in the cabin. I don't know if the cabin steward would bring an extra chair into the cabin if it was occupied by AB people who don't need the space for moving around.

DMH15,

It sounds like your mom might want to consider renting/borrowing a wheelchair or scooter for her cruise and trying to get an HC cabin. The bars and shower seat would help her be more independent. Taking a showing during rough seas can be difficult, even for us AB folks. If she's having dizzy spells, standing in the shower could be dangerous for her. A wheelchair or scooter could also make it easier for her to get around in ports. If she can't get an HC cabin, a folding wheelchair could fit in the closet when she's not using it so it won't be in the way. Definitely request a shower seat and raised toilet seat if you have a regular cabin.

That's just not true.

How many HC cabins have you been in?

I always have to book HC cabins for my mom. Around 10 different HC cabins on different ships and different cruise lines. The HC bathroom always floods. We always have to lay towels down. We may get a small chair in the cabin but never a table or couch. They just get in the way. It is more important for the mobility device to have room to manouver.

Perhaps they have furniture in HC suites. I wouldnt know. Can never afford a suite.

Kyriecat-

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful suggestions. Very much appreciated by a fellow Texan.

Mom really doesn't do too many ports, she can walk slowly to the spa... Haha.

She is very open and frank so I know when she feels she needs to transition she will definately let me know. She gave up driving about 5 years ago due to the blackouts. Although she's fine with giving me advice when I'm driving (haha)... But I want her to be the one to decide her own degree of disability so that she is in control of her own self and it doesn't feel I am taking over for her.

Thank you again.

DMH15,

It sounds like your mom might want to consider renting/borrowing a wheelchair or scooter for her cruise and trying to get an HC cabin. The bars and shower seat would help her be more independent. Taking a showing during rough seas can be difficult, even for us AB folks. If she's having dizzy spells, standing in the shower could be dangerous for her. A wheelchair or scooter could also make it easier for her to get around in ports. If she can't get an HC cabin, a folding wheelchair could fit in the closet when she's not using it so it won't be in the way. Definitely request a shower seat and raised toilet seat if you have a regular cabin.

If and when she's ready for a wheelchair or scooter there are companies that do this for cruises. X is not the one you rent from, but you may need to fill out the Special Needs form to bring it on.

Sara

If and when she's ready for a wheelchair or scooter there are companies that do this for cruises. X is not the one you rent from, but you may need to fill out the Special Needs form to bring it on.

Sara

Thank you so much. We both enjoy cruises and hope to take many more together. We sometimes travel with my cousin who is also our TA and we have loved every cruise to date.

Thanks again.

We ended up with a handicapped room on our last Carnival cruise. The cabin, and especially the bathroom, was HUGE...the other people we were traveling with were jealous, because their cabin was much smaller, and we paid the same price.

I actually wouldn't mind if they DID hassle me before I could book a handicap-accessible cabin! I know it's against the law as it is now written, but I'm fine with telling them that I need a wheelchair for mobility, and fine with getting a doctor's letter to back that up. In fact, when I've cruised on NCL, Carnival and Hurtigruten, I have in fact had to provide those before they would confirm my reservation. I've not cruised on Celebrity so don't know their policy, though.

She never said she wasn't willing to provide one to complete the reservation BUT X wasn't even going to request such a cabin in Miami for her with out this letter. X was expecting her to pay (yes Dr. here are allowed to take payment for such services but at the same time they are liable) for a letter confirming her medical status BEFORE X here would even move a finger and even option one of those cabins for her. If it had been part of the booking process like others have mentioned within 30 days of booking then no problem. Just for your information it isn't legal here either.

She never said she wasn't willing to provide one to complete the reservation BUT X wasn't even going to request such a cabin in Miami for her with out this letter. X was expecting her to pay (yes Dr. here are allowed to take payment for such services but at the same time they are liable) for a letter confirming her medical status BEFORE X here would even move a finger and even option one of those cabins for her. If it had been part of the booking process like others have mentioned within 30 days of booking then no problem. Just for your information it isn't legal here either.

Sorry..I'm still confused. The cruise lines I've been on most recently, Carnival, NCL, and Hurtigruten, all requested a letter from my doctor before allowing me to book an accessible cabin. I could not complete the reservation -- reserving a handicap accessible cabin -- until I could produce the letter. How is that different from what you describe?

My doctor, by the way, produced the letter (or at least it came out of his office) at no charge.

We ended up with a handicapped room on our last Carnival cruise. The cabin, and especially the bathroom, was HUGE...the other people we were traveling with were jealous, because their cabin was much smaller, and we paid the same price.

Yep, we were sitting in our cabin with the door open. Some passers by saw inside and also said they were jealous. I told them to lose their ability to walk and use a wheelchair full time and they wouldnt have to be jealous anymore. :eek:

Yep, we were sitting in our cabin with the door open. Some passers by saw inside and also said they were jealous. I told them to lose their ability to walk and use a wheelchair full time and they wouldnt have to be jealous anymore. :eek:

I chose green (the envy color). It is the "walk a mile in my shoes" situation.

My wife received here nutrition by vein for many years. Initially we did not have a good insurance policy and it was necessary to go onto Medicaid, the state program. Only her medical bills were paid. We received no stipend, stamps, discounts or monthly payment. A neighbor said that she would rather die than accept "welfare". My wife said, if you are starving to death, tell me then what you would do.

Some greater empathy is needed by the public for us to become as great a universe as many of us hope we can be.

and what happens if a handicapped person wants to book, but the ship is full and you have the HC cabin?

Then that handicapped person must go without his cruise.

I don't really understand the point here. If a handicapped person waited to try to book until a ship was already full, then how would they get a cabin anyway? If you want a particular cabin or type of cabin, be it handicapped or otherwise, it behooves you to book earlier before the ship fills up.

I am not insensitive to this issue BTW, as I have often traveled with senior relatives who required handicapped rooms (and in most cases, had to fill out paperwork ahead of time to confirm their needs). I understand the frustration and wish there were more handicapped rooms onboard. There should be some point in time, though, past which anyone can book these rooms. Maybe 30 days out or something similar. At a certain point, it becomes foolish to hold open rooms just in case someone who is handicapped wants to book at the last minute.

While we are on a handicapped topic, let me also say that throughout the years of traveling with my disabled relatives (who were not wheelchair bound, but often needed assistance), I have found Celebrity lacking in accomodating their needs. True, they can get wheelchair assistance at the piers, but on numerous occasions we had to wait a long time to get it and/or had to send one of us able-bodied on a search. There is also little to no accomodation on even the most sedate of shore excursions. There were often high steps into the buses, with no footstool or similar help. They were often ignored as they struggled to find their excursions (we helped when we could but did not always go on the same trips). Celebrity consistently let able-bodied passengers take the first few rows on buses even though they should be designated handicapped, requiring our relatives to struggle through a crowded bus (we tried to get people to move when we could, but they did not always comply, and I resent having to fight for this simple courtesy when X should have handled it). Anyway........I feel cruise ships have a long way to go towards making disabled travelers comfortable.

I booked a cat W (guarantee) on the equinox and they assigned me 2136 which is an ADA. My TA told me to be happy about it as I would get a larger cabin and to keep my mouth shut. I asked her to try and have me put back into the guarantee pool and she said she could not do that. After reading this post and a few others I decided to be more forceful with her and she finally called for me and I am now back into the pool. I may end up with the same cabin, but I just did not feel right taking it. Most likely they will just assign it to another passenger that does not need it, but at least I will feel better about it. I am just hoping that it will now be available to someone that really needs it. Do I care if the room I am in is smaller? Heck no, I am going to be on a cruise!

Phoenix Dream, you're missing a point here, a very important point. Disabled persons live the same life as you. Many of us do not know if we can take a vacation from our jobs months out. Able bodied persons can wait for the better prices, and can book at the last minute if their vacation plans are up in the air, but you're expecting the disabled not to have the same accommodation just because? My friends in the disabled community DO have jobs, just like all of you. They have to schedule vacations, sometimes at the last minute because of work responsibilities, just like you. But, the disabled can't take advantage of the perks that all you get, like the lower prices, because we're forced to book early due to the fact that a lot of travel agents, and selfish passengers, book the HC cabins months out. Is that fair? Why can't the disabled book later in the process, just like you can? It's because of those individuals who can't look beyond their own needs of wanting the larger cabins, despite the fact they are able bodied.

I will repeat. We are NOT saying those cabins go unsold. We are saying that they should NOT be released to the general population until late in the process.

Sorry..I'm still confused. The cruise lines I've been on most recently, Carnival, NCL, and Hurtigruten, all requested a letter from my doctor before allowing me to book an accessible cabin. I could not complete the reservation -- reserving a handicap accessible cabin -- until I could produce the letter. How is that different from what you describe?

My doctor, by the way, produced the letter (or at least it came out of his office) at no charge.

We may not be eye to eye on what is concidered a completed booking. Remember we are into cancellation from day one so to be sure she would get a cabin that suits her needs she needs to know which one she is getting. That means Miami has to open one up for her (because remember which ones if any are available is not open to the public) then she has to sign the contract with in a week. However she was told she needed to bring her Dr Letter BEFORE even THAT happened.

I have been on four cruised, the last two I needed a HC room. On both Princess and RCI, the room I was assigned was lovely. The room had both a chair, table and sofa. The bathroom was perfect for my needs and did not flood with water at all. I am going on Celebrity for the first time in May and cannot wait. The room diagram shows table and sofa and I sure hope it is there as noted. I used a scooter on the last cruise but found so many inconciderate people who would crowd on the elevators that I ended up leaving it in the room most of the time and using my walker instead. Much more painful and slow, but at least I could get where I was going.... To those who knowingly book a HC room just for the size, I pray that no actual passenger in NEED of the HC room has to go without because of it....

I booked a cat W (guarantee) on the equinox and they assigned me 2136 which is an ADA. My TA told me to be happy about it as I would get a larger cabin and to keep my mouth shut. I asked her to try and have me put back into the guarantee pool and she said she could not do that. After reading this post and a few others I decided to be more forceful with her and she finally called for me and I am now back into the pool. I may end up with the same cabin, but I just did not feel right taking it. Most likely they will just assign it to another passenger that does not need it, but at least I will feel better about it. I am just hoping that it will now be available to someone that really needs it. Do I care if the room I am in is smaller? Heck no, I am going to be on a cruise!

Interesting discussion. Folks have the right to discuss/debate their views--in fact, it seems the OP of this thread opted immediately to do the right thing after "hearing" some other viewpoints. For that and for shamda's decision to step up and return the HC room--bravo! This is a good month for reflecting on things to be thankful for--I'm thankful for still being able bodied for now; having the means and ability to go on a cruise in the first place; and for being reminded that ethics and thoughtfullness is still alive and well :).

Archived