Bringing on food - Port of Tampa

crislen

I am looking for cruisers experiences in bringing on food when boarding at Tampa.

I am getting married on the Legend next year and as part of our favours we want to use either handmade cookies or personalized m&ms or such. A food item.

When I called the wedding department, they said you couldn't bring on any outside food items, be it commercially sealed or not. That it is a customs issue and not a carnival issue. (note, these items will be small and most likely eaten by the kids in the group before everyone debarks)

However, on the wedding boards some wedding parties have had luck bringing on food items for their favours and others have been told the same as me.

But.. as I see it many people not in a wedding most likely bring on snacks, special food items etc. without a problem at customs! So why the restriction on wedding favours?

So - have you brought on outside food whether homemade or commercial?

Have you been made to throw it out?

(THIS IS ONLY FOR WHEN WE EMBARK IN TAMPA, not for when we are on the islands and such)

Thanks!

I am looking for cruisers experiences in bringing on food when boarding at Tampa.

I am getting married on the Legend next year and as part of our favours we want to use either handmade cookies or personalized m&ms or such. A food item.

When I called the wedding department, they said you couldn't bring on any outside food items, be it commercially sealed or not. That it is a customs issue and not a carnival issue. (note, these items will be small and most likely eaten by the kids in the group before everyone debarks)

However, on the wedding boards some wedding parties have had luck bringing on food items for their favours and others have been told the same as me.

But.. as I see it many people not in a wedding most likely bring on snacks, special food items etc. without a problem at customs! So why the restriction on wedding favours?

So - have you brought on outside food whether homemade or commercial?

Have you been made to throw it out?

(THIS IS ONLY FOR WHEN WE EMBARK IN TAMPA, not for when we are on the islands and such)

Thanks!

I see you're in Canada..where are you getting these cookies? From someone baking them in Tampa for you? Generally if the food is "made in the USA" coming on the ship at a US port, there isn't a customs issue. Maybe whoever you talked with thought you were trying to bring on homemade food from Canada? That would not get past customs from Canada into the US, much less on the ship!

I also don't know what they meant about not being able to bring on commercial food in sealed packages! That has not ever been a problem.

I'd probably risk it...assuming they were "US cookies, made in the US".

I see you're in Canada..where are you getting these cookies? From someone baking them in Tampa for you? Generally if the food is "made in the USA" coming on the ship at a US port, there isn't a customs issue. Maybe whoever you talked with thought you were trying to bring on homemade food from Canada? That would not get past customs from Canada into the US, much less on the ship!

I also don't know what they meant about not being able to bring on commercial food in sealed packages! That has not ever been a problem.

I'd probably risk it...assuming they were "US cookies, made in the US".

Thanks!

I was thinking my own homemade cookies which have made it across the border many times (I frequently travel between Seattle and Vancouver to visit friends) but now may just stick to commercially prepared in the USA.

But even according to the cbp.gov website:

Bakery items (including bread, cereal, granola bars, crakers, and cakes), candy, chocolate, and cured cheese are generally admissible. Canned goods and goods in vacuum packed jars (other than those containing meat or poultry products) are also generally admissible if being imported for personal use.

Homemade stuff would be admissable.

So maybe it is a carnival / cruiseship thing? I couldn't find anything re:food products on the carnival site.

Carnival Customer service often has wrong information. I would think that the personalized M&Ms would be fine. If the homemade cookies make it into the US, then you should also have no issues bringing them onto the ship

Thanks!

I was thinking my own homemade cookies which have made it across the border many times (I frequently travel between Seattle and Vancouver to visit friends) but now may just stick to commercially prepared in the USA.

But even according to the cbp.gov website:

Bakery items (including bread, cereal, granola bars, crakers, and cakes), candy, chocolate, and cured cheese are generally admissible. Canned goods and goods in vacuum packed jars (other than those containing meat or poultry products) are also generally admissible if being imported for personal use.

Homemade stuff would be admissable.

So maybe it is a carnival / cruiseship thing? I couldn't find anything re:food products on the carnival site.

I think I'd risk the homemade cookies. What's the worst that could happen? They'd be tossed and you'd be without, but that isn't a huge financial loss. I'd just pack them as you usually do, and see what happens.

I sometimes wonder if the people at Carnival that are giving out this info have even been on a cruise :confused:

We have taken food on every cruise we have been on.. Since we usually fly in a day or 2 before the cruise we get snacks for our pre cruise stay and what ever is left we take on the ship with us with NO problem...

Hope you have a great cruise, a Wonderful Wedding and that everyone Enjoys Your Cookies. :D

All I can add is that we have sailed out of Tampa three times and no one has ever looked for food items. No one cares if you take food onto the ship, only if you attempt to take certain food items off the ship.

We and many others have not had a problem bringing on prepackage food such a M&M etc. when we are cruising. I think where this may be coming from is that they are catering your wedding and only want their stuff there but only for that event. I many be wrong but this may be the issue.

Just curious why anyone (besides OP) would bring food ONTO a ship. If I can't get it on the ship, I either don't want it or don't need it.

Now my crock pot is another story. Leftovers never tasted so good!

They never have salty snacks, and I can't see calling room service for a few pretzels, so we always bring pretzels or cheezits with us.

DW and I like to have snacks in the room, if we get hungry we'd like to have a healthier snack option than pizza.

So you are bringing celery??? :confused:

Sorry, slow on the uptake. During the day there are plenty of healthy choices, even at the buffet, which can be brought back to the room. Late night, healthy and snacks are mutually exclusive.

They never have salty snacks, and I can't see calling room service for a few pretzels, so we always bring pretzels or cheezits with us.

Wow.

I like salty snacks. I've brought nuts from Costco in zip lock bags and never had any problems. Once we cruise right after Xmas and I packed a homemade fruitcake and it was enjoyed by everyone in our group.

One way to get rid of the dreaded fruit cake - only kidding, I am sure yours is great. A girl friend and I gave the same fruit cake back an forth for about 15 years - I went into the kitchen one Christmas and my MIL was cutting it up and popped a piece in her mouth and commented on how good it was. She has since passed on and I never told her how old it was. Those suckers have no expiry date.

Just curious why anyone (besides OP) would bring food ONTO a ship. If I can't get it on the ship, I either don't want it or don't need it.

Now my crock pot is another story. Leftovers never tasted so good!

Plenty of reasons: allergies/health issues, need it for excursions, prefer a particular snack the ship doesn't have, a party/group event, picky children or young children, purchased it in the pre-cruise hotel but didn't eat it and don't want to waste the money spent on it, want it for the post-cruise hotel, etc.

Oh, and to the OP, bring the stuff on with you, especially factory sealed stuff. Do be aware that non-factory sealed items are NOT allowed OFF the ship in any port (including getting back into the States), so if your guests don't eat the cookies during the cruise, they won't be allowed to take them home. If your M&Ms are in factory-sealed packages, they'll be allowed to bring them home. (And, BTW, thanks for not going with those silly mints! Haha.)

One way to get rid of the dreaded fruit cake - only kidding, I am sure yours is great. A girl friend and I gave the same fruit cake back an forth for about 15 years - I went into the kitchen one Christmas and my MIL was cutting it up and popped a piece in her mouth and commented on how good it was. She has since passed on and I never told her how old it was. Those suckers have no expiry date.

Oh my, hope it wasn't the 15 year old fruitcake that caused her passing. (just joking of course). ;)

A little off the OP's original post, but we sometimes would love a bag of chips in our cabin. The only time I have seen them on board is with a room service sandwich, and with all the food on board, I don't need to order a full sandwich meal to get a few chips. I have considered taking a bag of chips with me on board, but haven't yet. I wonder if I put one of those big bags in my carry-on if it would make it through.

As far as getting a healthy snack instead of pizza, I think you can order a veggie (crudite) plate from room service on most ships.

We too always bring a few snacks with us...some Cheez Its, granola bars, and nuts generally. While others have mentioned there's plenty of food on board, if I'm showering and getting ready for that evening's dinner, I sometimes like to enjoy a glass of wine and pick on a few nuts or crackers. I don't want to have to get all dressed, leave my cabin, and go search the buffet for a snack...it's more convenient for me to just have it there as I do my hair and makeup.

I just love how people are so eager to question why anyone would need to bring or do anything on a cruise. If I want to bring a can of peanuts to snack on in my cabin, this should be no concern of you. This does not affect your cruise in anyway, why so quick to make people feel foolish for bringing something they enjoy on the cruise? Yes I know there is pizza at midnight but maybe I want peanuts or chips or whatever my heart desires.

Sorry off my soap box now, I feel better :D

We brought a box of granola bars and little packets of beef stick/cheese to take on our excursion in Belize that was to be gone all day. We had no problem bringing that on.

Would the OP's guests have any problem taking homemade/non-factory sealed items OFF the ship at the end of the cruise??

Maggie

Thanks for everyone sharing their experiences! I think as long as I don't tell the wedding coordinators that I'm bringing on food items and not hand them out during the reception, I should be good to go! Then they are just like any other ordinary food being brought on.

drafterdw - the info was directly from the wedding department, our pvp said he didn't think it would be an issue but said to double check with the wedding department.

Off topic, but we can't wait for all the variety of food, that is all my fiance's family can talk about!

Archived