Single Supplement

tkwbear

To me it's discrimination because if I am willing to pay the double occupancy rate, the port charges for two people, and the taxes for two people, I should have the same access to available rooms as do double occupancy guests. As to the suggestion that two people will spend more money on board than a single person, that can be hotly debated and I would like to see proof of that. I have read many posts on this website over the years of "couples" bragging on how little they spend on board by smuggling alcohol, bringing glasses of wine from their stateroom to the dining room and other public areas, etc. For example, as a female solo, I tend to buy most of my excursions from HAL when visiting ports I've never been to before. On my next cruise, I have booked the Club Cabana which is costing me $500 for two weeks. There is no discount because only one person will be using the facility. I will not be consuming twice the amount of the goodies (i.e. champagne, chocolate strawberries, etc) that are provided within that price. Personally, I will also not remove my pre-paid tips and will, as always, leave extra tips for my room stewards equalling the amount they would get from the second passenger.

I am hoping that I still will be able to get a decent solo rate from HAL, or other cruiselines, if I travel in off-season and book far in advance. The economy and safety of travel go up and down, and when the times are not so good for cruise travel, HAL and other cruiselines, will be offering very good deals to solo travellers. Of course, by then, we solos may find other ways of travelling that do not discriminate against us. Of course, this is just my personal opinion as a solo cruiser of 12 years.

What bothers me the most about this new 200% solo pricing is the fact that there are now a "limited" number of rooms available to solos at this price. If I am willing to pay 200% for a room, I should be able to book any available room without restrictions. This is pure discrimination.

Yes, it's discriminatory - but there's no law against it... and why should there be?

The fact is - even if a 'solo' pays 200% for a stateroom, the vast majority of solo pax will not generate as much onboard revenue as two people, and thus not as much profit. Cruise lines are businesses that exist for one reason and one reason only - to generate profit for shareholders. Carnival Corporation and HAL could care less about you as an individual, or your personal circumstances. If a certain 'demographic' doesn't generate as much profit as another, they can, will (and do) restrict that demographic with the aim of maximizing profits.

Discrimination is a fact of life; and until cuisines become government-controlled, non-profit entities (God help us!... LOL) it will continue to be so. In the meantime, 'solos' can use competition and market forces to book cruises for less than a 100% single supplement where all the people crammed two (or more) into the same stateroom space as one, 'subsidize' them.

Personally, I have no fanatical brand loyalty and will cruise with who ever give me the best 'bang for my buck'. As others have 'said' forget about percentages and ask yourself -Is the price a good deal for what I'm getting? Many times the answer will be "No" (but nobody said life was always fair) and sometimes it will be “Yes”.

As others have 'said' forget about percentages and ask yourself -Is the price a good deal for what I'm getting? Many times the answer will be "No" (but nobody said life was always fair) and sometimes it will be “Yes”.

Agreed. The answer I gave myself when I booked my single Eurodam January sailing at CAD$1057 incl tax cruise only for category H obstructed ocean view was to go for it and I'm glad I did. :)

The fact that so many of the mass market cruise lines charge such hefty single supplements and even limit the number of singles allowed at a 100% surcharge is an indication of how little is spent per person on variable costs (e.g., food).

The cruise line expects to have a higher net profit from the profit margin on the add-ons (booze, shopping, etc.) then they spend on the included variables.

I'll tell yuh, I'm leaning toward Crystal for my next cruise as a solo....I see that they charge 125%-175% depending on your accommodation, but then if you deduct the air as well as maybe being able to deduct other "2 for 1" offers, the price is very good.

I'll tell yuh, I'm leaning toward Crystal for my next cruise as a solo....I see that they charge 125%-175% depending on your accommodation, but then if you deduct the air as well as maybe being able to deduct other "2 for 1" offers, the price is very good.

Crystal has excellent single pricing. When figuring the cost, don't forget the included on-board credit and various "things" which cost extra on HAL but are included with Crystal (water, soda, expresso, specialty restaurants (but you are expected to sign for a tip of something like $7 or $8 per person), etc. Also, Crystal actually gives almost reasonable credit for the "free" air.

We usually cruise on Crystal and there are a lot of singles. They even have "singles" tables in the specialty restaurants for those who want to eat there but have not made other arrangements for dining companions.

Nobody likes to pay the single supplement. Vigilance is the key to a good deal (watch how a cruise is selling and what rooms are availabe) and 'strike when the iron is hot' because, up until final payment, you can always get a lower fare if the price goes down... but you can't 'turn back the clock' if the price goes up.

My Volendam 14-day, 'Pacific Treasures' in January was a total of $2579.88 with single supplement, port charges and taxes for a Cat. HH outside, obstructed view. I have $100 OBC; and, was able to book a specific stateroom. $2479.88 divided by 14 days = $177.13 per day.

Currently, (on the HAL website, so no OBC), two people booking an Cat. HH Guarantee (only guarantees available now) will pay $2004.88 per person. $2004.88 divided by 14 days = $143.21 per day.

Compared to a couple who now decide to book the same Cat. on the same cruise, this works out LESS than $34/day for me to cruise 'solo'.

What bothers me the most about this new 200% solo pricing is the fact that there are now a "limited" number of rooms available to solos at this price. If I am willing to pay 200% for a room, I should be able to book any available room without restrictions. This is pure discrimination. I guess if you want a cruise bad enough, you can always book it for two by using a relative or friend's name, and then show up at the pier alone. Can they not let you on the ship just because the other person doesn't show up as long as everything is paid for, including all port charges and taxes? Of course, they will probably come up with some kind of restriction in their contract to cover this. I am very disappointed with HAL and the other cruiselines who have adopted this discriminatory position.

Actually had this happen to 'moi' about 8 or so yrs ago...Booked for 2 and then a 'bailout'..and the ship was sold out..The suite for 2 was paid for along with port charges & taxes.

I thought, great - just for 'moi' alone..:)..No problems boarding - told staff other pax not coming..I did get asked once at my 2T in the MDR if the other pax was going to come and other than attempting to seat someone else at the table with me that same eve - without asking by the way - no problem..I tipped as if there were 2 of us though...for the MDR & cabin...Service in those days especially was great and certainly worth it!!

Had a fabulous cruise, worth every penny..! :D

I do not believe they cld refuse u passage - that wld be discrimination - if your partner doesn't show up and likely cldn't be contracted either.. Of course, u must be willing to pay 200% of the price plus the extra port charge & tax..so if thats not a problem..go for it!! :)

Have happy cruisin'!

What bothers me the most about this new 200% solo pricing is the fact that there are now a "limited" number of rooms available to solos at this price. If I am willing to pay 200% for a room, I should be able to book any available room without restrictions. This is pure discrimination.

I agree. If there is a room available and they won't give it to you at the stated double occupancy price, I believe that would violate open housing laws in the states. I would encourage anyone who has experienced this to file a complaint with whatever agency handles hotel matters in the state where the cruise departs.

(Note: I am referring only to cruises that depart from the United States. Different rules might apply to international cruises. Also, I am referring only to the situation where occupancy is denied to a single person willing to pay the 200% rate. I am NOT referring to situations where the "supplement" is less than 100%, ie: a 150% rate.)

Nobody likes to pay the single supplement. Vigilance is the key to a good deal (watch how a cruise is selling and what rooms are availabe) and 'strike when the iron is hot' because, up until final payment, you can always get a lower fare if the price goes down... but you can't 'turn back the clock' if the price goes up.

My Volendam 14-day, 'Pacific Treasures' in January was a total of $2579.88 with single supplement, port charges and taxes for a Cat. HH outside, obstructed view. I have $100 OBC; and, was able to book a specific stateroom. $2479.88 divided by 14 days = $177.13 per day.

Currently, (on the HAL website, so no OBC), two people booking an Cat. HH Guarantee (only guarantees available now) will pay $2004.88 per person. $2004.88 divided by 14 days = $143.21 per day.

Compared to a couple who now decide to book the same Cat. on the same cruise, this works out LESS than $34/day for me to cruise 'solo'.

I have just started cruising solo, and like you I spend a lot of time looking for the best bang for my "solo" bucks. Would you mind sharing some of your strategies for searching out good deals? I am finding it very time consuming to check prices -- often solo pricing isn't available over the internet and you have to call and speak to an agent, which takes more time.

I travel for the destination, not the ship. I got what I thought was a good deal on my recent Westerdam Egypt/Holy Land trip. Is HAL more apt to give good discounts to solos on these cruises? (I'm hoping so!)

However, I'm finding it does pay to consider lines that initially appear more expensive in their pricing. For example, the Voyages to Antiquity cruise that I'm taking in two weeks includes airfare, ALL shore excursions, gratuities and wine/beer/soft drinks with dinner. Throw in their deal of NO single supplement, and this cruise is costing me quite a bit less than my recent Westerdam cruise.

I have just started cruising solo, and like you I spend a lot of time looking for the best bang for my "solo" bucks. Would you mind sharing some of your strategies for searching out good deals? I am finding it very time consuming to check prices -- often solo pricing isn't available over the internet and you have to call and speak to an agent, which takes more time.

On the HAL website proceed to make a booking and enter '1' and the number of pax.

Thanks; I generally have found better pricing for solos on sites other than HAL's.

Well sure... but to find out what the single supplement is (without contacting my TA), I use HAL's website. Plus, you can track how the cruise is selling and what rooms are available.

I'm unaware of any agencies' sites that list single supplement prices.

Well sure... but to find out what the single supplement is (without contacting my TA), I use HAL's website. Plus, you can track how the cruise is selling and what rooms are available.

I think it only show a couple of the available rooms so I'm not sure that gives a very good indication. Am I missing something?

I think it only show a couple of the available rooms so I'm not sure that gives a very good indication. Am I missing something?

For any Cat. it shows up to six of the available rooms; if there are more, you can enter the room number to see if that room is available. If there are five or less, you know those are the only rooms left for that Cat. and when they are gone the Cat. will turn into a 'Guarantee'. You can also check to see if Cats. they 'hold back' (such as HH) have suddenly become available for booking.

For any Cat. it shows up to six of the available rooms; if there are more, you can enter the room number to see if that room is available. If there are five or less, you know those are the only rooms left for that Cat. and when they are gone the Cat. will turn into a 'Guarantee'. You can also check to see if Cats. they 'hold back' (such as HH) have suddenly become available for booking.

Thx for the info. It does give you some idea....I guess at how the cruise is booking. I don't know if that gives you a great picture....but could give some idea.

Thx for the info. It does give you some idea....I guess at how the cruise is booking. I don't know if that gives you a great picture....but could give some idea.

Yes, it takes a little 'work' and it doesn't give you clear, overall 'snapshot' picture, but over time you CAN glean information the line isn't exactly keen to have known by the public.

Archived