Single Supplement

tkwbear

It depends on the date you're sailing and the category of cabin you're booking. I booked a solo obstructed view outside cabin for a Jan. 21, 2011 sailing on the Westerdam, and paid about 140%.

Roz

On most cruises the port taxes/fees make up such a small % of the total fare that in essence you ARE paying double if the cruise line doesn't give you a break on the supplement.

Roz

On most cruises the port taxes/fees make up such a small % of the total fare that in essence you ARE paying double if the cruise line doesn't give you a break on the supplement.

Roz

Guess it just depends on whether or not you think a few hundred dollars is real money! :p

It depends on the date you're sailing and the category of cabin you're booking. I booked a solo obstructed view outside cabin for a Jan. 21, 2011 sailing on the Westerdam, and paid about 140%.

My single supplement was something similiar when I booked my Eurodam sailing in Jan, though notice now it's gone up quite a bit lately. Surely this has to do with the whole occupancy make up of the specific sailing as HAL would want to encourage more doubles and less singles for onboard revenue management enhancement. :eek: I sounded like a corporate spokesman spouting bizspeak for a second so apologies but would imagine this is why HAL will change solo cruise pricing.

I just priced some cruises this morning, and it appears the single supplement of 1.4x-1.6x has now become 2.0x. In effect you are paying for a second person.

When did this start?

DITTO! I was looking at either Alaska or Canada/New England for Summer 2011 and could NOT find a single cruise that did not have a small "markup" for sailing SOLO! Everyting was 200%! Thanks Stein! I've been on 27 cruises since 1987. It was my money and a lot of other Singles that grew HAL into what it is today! :(

Please, NO FLAMETHROWERS!

Wow! That is very scary to me. I am glad I have my cruises booked into 2012......but I plan on doing a lot more cruising after that. 150% is stretching my budget as far as I can go....200% will make it out of the question. Feeling sad it that is true.

In general, the amount of the single supplement depends on the itinerary and/or how difficult it is to fill the ship. It seems the more 'exotic', the less the supplement.

In Alaska, I have always paid 100%. For S.A./Antarctica, 50% (same for my upcoming 'Pacific Treasures' out of Sydney).

HAL is charging 200% for a slice of baloney?! :eek: That's highway robbery! Seriously, Bill B is correct, the single supplement varies, so it's difficult to make general statements. That said, you can almost count on paying 200% for a veranda or suite. When I cruise the Caribbean, which has a lot of ship capacity, I can generally get something in the 140-150% range.

There was a post a few weeks or months back stating that HAL is capacity controlling solo cabins, which I thought they were doing all along, which is why I usually book far in advance. I was surprised that I was able to get such a reasonable fare on my upcoming Westerdam cruise in January, because I didn't book it until October 28.

Roz

Is it really that difficult to find a friend who would enjoy going on a cruise and sharing a cabin w/ you?

My very first cruise I paid 200% for the suite - after booking I found a pal who wanted to go and he ended up paying the other expenses (Airfare, hotels, onboard spending, shore excursions, tips, transfers) - it all worked out just fine.

This can't help you now but last year during the Swine Flu Saga when they were practicaly giving Mexican cruises away, I got my own cabin with no supplement. It wasn't advertised, I just found it when I was trying to book a cabin for 3. So, if there is ever another epidemic...

Ah the single supplement, the one thing that I truly hate about cruising!

As a rule, I've found HAL pricing better (compared to some other lines) with solos. But as of late, the cruiselines are taking another turn on this.

I know on my upcoming HAL cruise, my rate is running around 150% on my September cruise, I managed only a 15% (yup you read right, 15%)! This is mainly due to major water damage in my cabin this April and Carnival offer me a nice discount rate to sail with them again :D:D! But the same cabin for that sailing is running 200%.

You have to really research and be flexiable as a solo cruiser. It's going to come down to three options on any sailing after 2011. I can bite the pill and book a cruise early and pay 200%. I can wait for my travel agent to run "free tips", "free spa treatment" reduce deposits or "free shore tours" to soften the blow or wait for last minute, under 90 days sailing rates for sailings that I may or may not want to do.

HAL often have a large number of solo cruisers on board. The ones that I know spend heavy in the bars and do more ship tours than a couple. I know solo cruisers final bill twice and triple of a couple. Having two in a cabin may mean money upfront for HAL, but that don't always translate to additional income on the sailing.

This can't help you now but last year during the Swine Flu Saga when they were practicaly giving Mexican cruises away, I got my own cabin with no supplement. It wasn't advertised, I just found it when I was trying to book a cabin for 3. So, if there is ever another epidemic...

I know, I was booked on a five day cruise during that time in the lowest inside cabin. My cruise was changed from a five to seven day and I was given a major upgrade to a very nice outside midship and OBC!! :D:D

Is it really that difficult to find a friend who would enjoy going on a cruise and sharing a cabin w/ you?

My very first cruise I paid 200% for the suite - after booking I found a pal who wanted to go and he ended up paying the other expenses (Airfare, hotels, onboard spending, shore excursions, tips, transfers) - it all worked out just fine.

Lucky you! None of my friends or family are interested in cruising. It is not as easy as you make it out to be.

I will continue to pay the 200% single supplement for the cabin of my choice and the vacation I desire until the well runs dry. Besides, I'm spoiled rotten having my own space and have no desire for a roommate on a cruise ship....no way no how.

Archived