You're Fired !!!

Yes We Can

I can see how my original "who care's" post was misunderstood. Shame on me for not being clearer in what I meant.

I don't care that these folks got fired. They should have been fired for wasting passengers time and money, wasting time of the other people who work in the port (probably cost those other port employees money, too), and wasted the cruise lines time and money.

It's not that I didn't care that some got stuck not being able to take their excursions. Or not getting a refund for the excursions.

I can see how my original "who care's" post was misunderstood. Shame on me for not being clearer in what I meant.

I don't care that these folks got fired. They should have been fired for wasting passengers time and money, wasting time of the other people who work in the port (probably cost those other port employees money, too), and wasted the cruise lines time and money.

It's not that I didn't care that some got stuck not being able to take their excursions. Or not getting a refund for the excursions.

They didn't get fired. Sometimes it is not all about me me me being on vacation........

as long as they replace them it shouldnt be a problem. Someone has to direct the big boats in and out

We care because they are the ones to get the ship to the dock!! They are supposed to know the underwater topography to get to the dock safely. What if one replacement pilot isn't totally familiar with the area?:eek:

As I understood the article, these were not the pilots, but the coxswains (small boat operators) that brought them out to the ships or picked them up once their piloting duties were complete.

They didn't get fired. Sometimes it is not all about me me me being on vacation........

Then what's the OP talking about with regards to the thread's title?

I didn't see it as "me, me, me". These folks (regardless of their actual jobs) inconvenienced several thousand passengers. They could have (may have) cost them thousands of dollars. Plus, the crews of the cruise ships were inconvenienced. The cruise companies could have lost thousands.

The tour operators probably lost thousands, too.

In my estimation, that's criminal. If they weren't fired (as the OP said), they should be.

If anyone has the "me, me, me" attitude, it is/was these few boat drivers that tried to strike.

Whomever the powers are that hire for these positions, I'd be taking resumes and applications for those positions right now. There are way too many people unemployed, at least in the U.S., for workers to be going out on strike.

If they don't like the job, the pay, no one is stopping them from quitting and finding a different line of work.

Then what's the OP talking about with regards to the thread's title?

I didn't see it as "me, me, me". These folks (regardless of their actual jobs) inconvenienced several thousand passengers. They could have (may have) cost them thousands of dollars. Plus, the crews of the cruise ships were inconvenienced. The cruise companies could have lost thousands.

The tour operators probably lost thousands, too.

In my estimation, that's criminal. If they weren't fired (as the OP said), they should be.

If anyone has the "me, me, me" attitude, it is/was these few boat drivers that tried to strike.

Whomever the powers are that hire for these positions, I'd be taking resumes and applications for those positions right now. There are way too many people unemployed, at least in the U.S., for workers to be going out on strike.

If they don't like the job, the pay, no one is stopping them from quitting and finding a different line of work.

Obviously you know nothing about collective bargaining:rolleyes: And obviously if you would have read about it you would know it was not about disliking their jobs. If you want to blame anyone blame the employer....it is not like they didn't know it was coming:rolleyes: Striking is all about inconvenience......otherwise what would be the point:D And at least for now they might get the ball rolling........

Oh and they didn't try to strike....they did LOL!

If I were one of the strikers/fire-ees, whatever they are, I think I might want to be looking for another line of work. Not like these folks have a skill set that's unusual or not readily replaceable. I'm betting there are a lot of people that would be thrilled to have their jobs. These people screwed with the passengers, the other port workers, the crew of the cruise ships, and the cruise companies themselves. That's intolerable.

Whomever their boss or employer is, I'd be lining up the interviews now.

Probably won't be any follow-up to this story, but I'm guessing that in the next 90-days, none of these workers will be employed, at least not in these same positions.

I was on the Dream when this strike happened in St. Thomas.

When we first started approaching the island, I noticed 3 other ships just stopped in the water off shore, the Oasis being one of them.

We were informed that there was a strike, and we had to stop offshore, too. But within an hour, we were finally able to dock.

Apparently, it was the workers that drive the boats carrying the pilots out to the cruise ships to help them dock, not the actual pilots.

Carnival sent one of their rescue boats to shore to pick up the pilot & bring him back to the Dream and he guided us into port.

I assume all the other cruise ships did the same, because we all managed to dock that day IN SPITE of the strike.

For an island that depends on tourism, and this day being one that had 5 total cruise ships docking, the workers' strike did cause alot of problems.

But, it all worked out without them & I'm sure they weren't too happy that we all made it into St. Thomas anyway! Can you imagine how much money the cab drivers, tour operators, restaurants, etc would have lost if 5 cruise ships missed out on docking in St. Thomas?

The workers could have caused problems for alot more people than themselves. I'm glad it worked out the way it did, and if they got fired over it, then I'm sure the prevented future problems by doing so.

If I were one of the strikers/fire-ees, whatever they are, I think I might want to be looking for another line of work. Not like these folks have a skill set that's unusual or not readily replaceable. I'm betting there are a lot of people that would be thrilled to have their jobs. These people screwed with the passengers, the other port workers, the crew of the cruise ships, and the cruise companies themselves. That's intolerable.

Whomever their boss or employer is, I'd be lining up the interviews now.

Probably won't be any follow-up to this story, but I'm guessing that in the next 90-days, none of these workers will be employed, at least not in these same positions.

Thanks for making my point about not understanding what is going on;)

When we first started approaching the island, I noticed 3 other ships just stopped in the water off shore, the Oasis being one of them.

We were informed that there was a strike, and we had to stop offshore, too. But within an hour, we were finally able to dock.

Apparently, it was the workers that drive the boats carrying the pilots out to the cruise ships to help them dock, not the actual pilots.

Carnival sent one of their rescue boats to shore to pick up the pilot & bring him back to the Dream and he guided us into port.

I assume all the other cruise ships did the same, because we all managed to dock that day IN SPITE of the strike.

For an island that depends on tourism, and this day being one that had 5 total cruise ships docking, the workers' strike did cause alot of problems.

But, it all worked out without them & I'm sure they weren't too happy that we all made it into St. Thomas anyway! Can you imagine how much money the cab drivers, tour operators, restaurants, etc would have lost if 5 cruise ships missed out on docking in St. Thomas?

The workers could have caused problems for alot more people than themselves. I'm glad it worked out the way it did, and if they got fired over it, then I'm sure the prevented future problems by doing so.

Actually according to the article the employees agreed to come back to work that same day after the Lt. Gov. stepped in to help them with their negotiations......

Obviously you know nothing about collective bargaining:rolleyes: And obviously if you would have read about it you would know it was not about disliking their jobs. If you want to blame anyone blame the employer....it is not like they didn't know it was coming:rolleyes: Striking is all about inconvenience......otherwise what would be the point:D And at least for now they might get the ball rolling........

Thanks Wyattcruiser.

In addition, shut outs, sick out and strikes are a common negotiating tool in the US. In ever sector of life things can happen, it's just what happens that affect YOU that seems to matter. They did a strike for a reason, we have no idea what the reason was. I never won't anyone to lose their jobs unless they are just NOT doing their job. This was a isolated incident.

You people can be sooo mean and inconsiderate. If someone wants to write the sky is falling, just don't REPLY. Just think so of these meannies are on your cruise:eek:.

Thanks Wyattcruiser.

In addition, shut outs, sick out and strikes are a common negotiating tool in the US. In ever sector of life things can happen, it's just what happens that affect YOU that seems to matter. They did a strike for a reason, we have no idea what the reason was. I never won't anyone to lose their jobs unless they are just NOT doing their job. This was a isolated incident...

The coxswains are/were public service employees. In all likelihood, they were under a no-strike clause just like police officers or Air Traffic Controllers. (remember them?)

If they were fired, and I can't tell from this thread if they were, it was for that reason. An article referenced in this thread notes that the coxswains' union had been working without a contract for 4 years. If that is so, then it would appear that they WERE under a no-strike, and this action would be classed as a wildcat strike.

The coxswains are/were public service employees. In all likelihood, they were under a no-strike clause just like police officers or Air Traffic Controllers. (remember them?)

That was my first thought when I started reading this post. Ronald Ragen Fired the wildcat's. And the union boss was an a$$hole for telling them to strike. He broke the union.

Glad to hear someone who was there.

Good points about cruise companies finding a way to work the whole thing out by using their own tenders. The amount of money that the cabbies, tour operators, etc that would have been lost because of these "strikers". If they were fired, they deserved to be. If not, at the very least the cruise lines obviously emphasized that they weren't as needed as they thought they were. If nothing else, they won't be trying to strike again.

Excellent point about the probable "no strike" clause. Again, just like the air traffic controllers during Reagan's terms. He did indeed break them for the exact same reasons.......costing people and companies untold amounts of money when their union agreed not to strike. We probably won't find out if these people were fired or not. But, we're not talking about a lot of people (who drive the tender boats). And, we're not talking about highly skilled positions.

I'm betting there were plenty of people lined up to take their jobs as soon as they sent on strike. While I was pretty young when the air traffic controllers went on strike, I do remember that I had a cousin who went to some school for controllers through the local airport to take the place of striker who was fired. They offered him a job immediately. Best I can tell, he loved it. He kept that job for many years and just retired from it.

More info....

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/vipa-sick-out-delays-docking-of-ships-1.1054899

In short, it looks like it was only a few folks who actually did a "sick-out". It was indeed unauthorized. No one seems to know why they did it. And, no one really knows if they've actually replaced them. Although there's been some reports that they used replacement workers.

Lots of people in St Thomas really are mad at them from what I read, though.

I am a local on St. Thomas. I heard on our (TV 2 news) and a few talk shows that the FOUR pilot boat employees was fired and the union are planing to take the Goverment to court. For some unknown reason the Virgin Islands Daily News (did not) print this in the media:confused: I don't think the they should have been fired. They just wanted they voice to be heard.

great. unions are worthless scum. fire em all.

So your suggestion is that someone who was required to join a union as a condition of employment should be fired? I think there's enough unemployment in this country already. Let's not make it worse.

Or are you talking about shop stewards, business agents, trustees and other officers? Even there, you are paintiing with a pretty broad brush. As frequently happens, a whole category of people are being stigmatized for the malfeasance of a few individuals.

There is one question that hasn't been addressed - were these individuals following union orders, or did they act on their own accord? If they did it on their own, I really feel sorry for them. If following union orders, there's a BA that needs to read up on NLRB rulings, and four individuals that should be allowed to retain their employment...

WE were aboard the Dream while the strike was going on. There was a brief panic among us in our group because we were going to go to St John by ourselves. We were only about an hour late getting in, but decided against going. We were not sure if the strike was going to affect the ferries etc. We found out that the guys were promised raises for a few years, and were not given them. Who knows. It WAS pretty awesome seeing all 5 boats in the water just sitting right offshore. Prayers are going out to those on the Spendor tonight.... pretty scary.

I just heard on our local talk show that the Virgin Island Port Authority just Fired 4 Pilot Boat Employees for going on Strike Last Week on St. Thomas!! I will look into this and post more info soon!!

I think it's fine for someone to get fired when they decide to go on strike. The employer should always be in charge.

Doug

President Reagan fired all of the US Air Traffic Controllers because they went out on strike........;)

So your suggestion is that someone who was required to join a union as a condition of employment should be fired? I think there's enough unemployment in this country already. Let's not make it worse.

i think they should be a scab and negotiate directly with management and let the union crumble. i don't think management should ever let it get to closed shop status (in hypothetical world where you can fire employees for unionizing.)

Or are you talking about shop stewards, business agents, trustees and other officers? Even there, you are paintiing with a pretty broad brush. As frequently happens, a whole category of people are being stigmatized for the malfeasance of a few individuals.

these people are the worst of them.

I am a local on St. Thomas. I heard on our (TV 2 news) and a few talk shows that the FOUR pilot boat employees was fired and the union are planing to take the Goverment to court. For some unknown reason the Virgin Islands Daily News (did not) print this in the media:confused: I don't think the they should have been fired. They just wanted they voice to be heard.

As mentioned, we saw that coming from a mile away (or in this instance, about 3,000 miles away). These folks affected 1,000s of passengers and crews. They probably cost taxi divers, tour operators, store and restaurant owners, etc untold thousands upon thousands of dollars.

And, for what? They didn't get a raise? Not going to get much sympathy from the people here in the U.S. where millions are unemployed, even more millions haven't received a raise in years and years.

Of course they were going to be fired. At best, they were ill-advised. At worst, they just were.....ummmmm.....how can I put this gently........very mentally deficient.

As I said, I'm certain people were waiting in line for their jobs as soon as the others went on strike.

Like Reagan vs the Air Traffic Controllers, the workers agreed not to strike. When they did, he fired them (as he should have). Same deal here. I don't know how the legal system works in St Thomas, but I suppose it's similar to here. Anyone can sue anyone else for anything. These fired people don't have a leg to stand on. They screwed over other employees (i.e. taxi drivers, tour operators, etc), the cruise lines, the passengers, etc). I predict their law suit won't go well, if it's even heard in court, at all.

Archived