You're Fired !!!

Yes We Can

I just heard on our local talk show that the Virgin Island Port Authority just Fired 4 Pilot Boat Employees for going on Strike Last Week on St. Thomas!! I will look into this and post more info soon!!

And are you saying this is a good thing or a bad thing?

You are all missing the point. OP posts these notes so he can shout. Look at his previous posts. (Even his post here already uses larger fonts!)

'tis still smaller than the font selected for regular use by one of the hosts.

You are all missing the point. OP posts these notes so he can shout. Look at his previous posts. (Even his post here already uses larger fonts!)

:confused:

Every monitor is different, and my eyesight may be different from yours.

I prefer a larger font (like the one I used here) rather than the one I used in my previous post on this thread.

And EITHER is better than those tiny little fonts used by some people. :(

I guess my question would be..."why do we care?".:confused:

We care because they are the ones to get the ship to the dock!! They are supposed to know the underwater topography to get to the dock safely. What if one replacement pilot isn't totally familiar with the area?:eek:

We care because they are the ones to get the ship to the dock!! They are supposed to know the underwater topography to get to the dock safely. What if one replacement pilot isn't totally familiar with the area?:eek:

Sorry...still don't care. I'm of the belief that these folks felt the same way....that they were indispensable. Not true. More than one Pilot Boat employees out there who I'm sure knows the ports.

The striking people are gone. I'm sure the new people that took their place are thankful for the promotions they just received.

Sorry...still don't care. I'm of the belief that these folks felt the same way....that they were indispensable. Not true. More than one Pilot Boat employees out there who I'm sure knows the ports.

You would have if you were on one of the ships that were affected:

(October 26) -- Numerous cruise ships, including 225,282-ton, 5,400-passenger Oasis of the Seas, were delayed from docking in St. Thomas this morning due to bizarre and still-unresolved staffing issues.

A Cruise Critic reader tipped us off that local St. Thomas radio station AM 1340 is reporting that the boatmen who take the pilot from shore to cruise ship, called coxswains, are on strike. Pilots are required to board each cruise ship in St. Thomas and oversee its safe berthing. However, Monifa Marrero, a tourism representative for the port of St. Thomas, tells us that it is still unknown whether or not the workers are actually on strike. "We're still investigating," said Marrero. "We had a lot of call-ins [workers out sick]."

Either way, a contingency plan has gone into effect, and the cruise ships will use their own tender boats to pick up the pilots, who will then lead the ships in port as usual. The plan will remain in place until the situation with the seaman is resolved. There are five ships -- Emerald Princess, Carnival Dream, Carnival Liberty, Oasis of the Seas and Norwegian Sun -- scheduled to call today in St. Thomas.

star2.bmpRoyal Caribbean spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez tells us that Oasis of the Seas suffered about a 1.5-hour delay. The ship will depart St. Thomas for St. Maarten an hour later than originally scheduled.

star2.bmp There is no change in the schedule for Norwegian Sun, according to NCL spokeswoman Courtney Recht. Sun is set to dock in St. Thomas at noon.

star2.bmpCarnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen said both of the line's ships have now docked in St. Thomas, but each was about an hour late in doing so.

star2.bmp We have yet to hear from representatives of Princess Cruises.

We'll keep you posted.

--by Dan Askin, Associate Editor

Just had to post and now look really ill-informed for pre-judging the OP, to I guess feel better about your post. Funny how we never wait to see if something is genuine before spouting off at the mouth about it and then looking silly afterwards. This was a very dumb comment to make....

You would have if you were on one of the ships that were affected:

(October 26) -- Numerous cruise ships, including 225,282-ton, 5,400-passenger Oasis of the Seas, were delayed from docking in St. Thomas this morning due to bizarre and still-unresolved staffing issues.

A Cruise Critic reader tipped us off that local St. Thomas radio station AM 1340 is reporting that the boatmen who take the pilot from shore to cruise ship, called coxswains, are on strike. Pilots are required to board each cruise ship in St. Thomas and oversee its safe berthing. However, Monifa Marrero, a tourism representative for the port of St. Thomas, tells us that it is still unknown whether or not the workers are actually on strike. "We're still investigating," said Marrero. "We had a lot of call-ins [workers out sick]."

Either way, a contingency plan has gone into effect, and the cruise ships will use their own tender boats to pick up the pilots, who will then lead the ships in port as usual. The plan will remain in place until the situation with the seaman is resolved. There are five ships -- Emerald Princess, Carnival Dream, Carnival Liberty, Oasis of the Seas and Norwegian Sun -- scheduled to call today in St. Thomas.

star2.bmpRoyal Caribbean spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez tells us that Oasis of the Seas suffered about a 1.5-hour delay. The ship will depart St. Thomas for St. Maarten an hour later than originally scheduled.

star2.bmp There is no change in the schedule for Norwegian Sun, according to NCL spokeswoman Courtney Recht. Sun is set to dock in St. Thomas at noon.

star2.bmpCarnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen said both of the line's ships have now docked in St. Thomas, but each was about an hour late in doing so.

star2.bmp We have yet to hear from representatives of Princess Cruises.

We'll keep you posted.

--by Dan Askin, Associate Editor

I saw the original post, didn't think anything else about it until I saw this one. Quite interesting to see how things worked out and what happened to those involved. Yes, had the person that responded earlier been involved, this would've been welcomed news I'm sure. I swear folks on this site are too much at times...:mad:

I saw the original post, didn't think anything else about it until I saw this one. Quite interesting to see how things worked out and what happened to those involved. Yes, had the person that responded earlier been involved, this would've been welcomed news I'm sure. I swear folks on this site are too much at times...:mad:

I have a friend who was beside herself when she heard this news, with a land excursion already booked and paid for.

I just heard on our local talk show that the Virgin Island Port Authority just Fired 4 Pilot Boat Employees for going on Strike Last Week on St. Thomas!! I will look into this and post more info soon!!

Why do you need to look into this?

I have a friend who was beside herself when she heard this news, with a land excursion already booked and paid for.

Paid for in what manner? Credit card, right? Dispute the charge as she didn't get the service. Regardless of wether she wanted to but couldn't get there..the CC company should not have much issue with the reversal...and for those who feel that it isn't fair to the excursion operator:rolleyes:...just make a claim to the insurance company..because we all know that we should travel with insurance.

I was caught up in Hurricaine Frances and had prepaid my return limo from Canaveral to Orlando..in order to save 5 bucks:D...so when we never got back to Canaveral due to the storm and we docked in FLL, I didn't need the ride back. When I got home I called the limo company and asked for the refund..they balked at first...but when I suggested I would dispute the charge..the credit appeared on my statement.

This is no big deal.....unless of course the woman actually sent cash to St. Thomas..or even worse...allowed them to debit her Checking account.:eek:

Archived