You're Fired !!!

Yes We Can

i think they should be a scab and negotiate directly with management and let the union crumble. i don't think management should ever let it get to closed shop status (in hypothetical world where you can fire employees for unionizing.)

these people are the worst of them.

All it takes is to have every Governor in closed states (a state where one MUST join the union if there is a union) to decertify the unions and rewrite the legislation to make it an open state. Then, if unions wish to form, they can, but no one has to join if they don't want to.

I think it's fine for someone to get fired when they decide to go on strike. The employer should always be in charge.

Doug

Employers are not always “Right”. Their main concern is profit and not necessarily what is in the employees’ best interest including a living wage and a decent quality of life (including health care). Remember, it was the employers (CEOs and stockholders) that shipped so many American jobs overseas and eroded this country’s middle class job market. Unions and employee organizations is what created this country’s middle class. Without them, employees would still be living in third world conditions making 17 cents an hour.

If the longshoremen went on strike we would have to load and unload our own luggage. And cross a picket line. What would the travel Ins. Co. ]

Actually they have been on strike several times down in San Pedro......didn't affect cruise ships only container ships.......

People like You are the reason we have Labor Unions!

Unions have done wonders the auto and airline industry and the companies that support them. Don't forget about the all the companies that fled to Mexico to avoid the union high labor costs.

Unions have done wonders the auto and airline industry and the companies that support them. Don't forget about the all the companies that fled to Mexico to avoid the union high labor costs.

I think the blame for sending American jobs off shore lies with corporate greed, not the employees. Rather than paying hard working Americans a living wage so they can support their families and have a decent quality of life, corporations and their greedy shareholders CHOSE to leave the country and are now paying foreign workers pennies, treating them like slaves with no health care, safety standards, or any other benefits.

While this is not the proper forum for this discussion one of the reasons companies leave is our tax structure here. We have one of the higher business tax rates in the world. Remember before everyone starts crying how the rich businesses should pay high taxes that when business pays a fee or tax they just add it to the pricing structure of the product and the consumer actually pays the tax/fee

While this is not the proper forum for this discussion one of the reasons companies leave is our tax structure here. We have one of the higher business tax rates in the world. Remember before everyone starts crying how the rich businesses should pay high taxes that when business pays a fee or tax they just add it to the pricing structure of the product and the consumer actually pays the tax/fee

Just a little reminder, businesses pay NO taxes. ALL taxes paid by a business are passed directly along to the consumer in the form of higher prices, so YOU are paying the taxes, not the business. This is why the Fair Tax is the best way to go and would bring some of those jobs back to the US (except for the guys on St Thomas....we need them there to bring the ships into port!).

I think what most aren't taking into consideration, these are not "skilled" labor positions. Plus, we're talking about what...4 people?

I've yet to hear any evidence that they were in any way abused.

Don't forget, these strikers had absolutely zero concern for the other workers....the taxi drivers, the restaurant workers, the tour operators, the shop employees, etc. These strikers cost them a ton of money. And, they certainly didn't care about the cruise passengers, nor the cruise employees.

Hard for me to see that they cared about anything or anyone.

Now, they're unemployed, and may very well be unemployable due to their actions. All the local businesses have to know who they are by now. This isn't exactly something you'd highlight as part of your experience when you revise your resume.

I think what most aren't taking into consideration, these are not "skilled" labor positions. Plus, we're talking about what...4 people?

Not a skilled position? Let's see you bring a pilot craft alongside a moving ship in sea state 3 and safely transfer the pilot, without injuring the pilot or damaging your boat! Sometimes I get real peeved by people pontificating when they know absolutely nothing about the subject.

Only 4 people? What if you were one of those four? Might that change your perspective?

Archived