Cruise Reviews

Bridge Maven

What is your favorite type of cruise review thread?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite type of cruise review thread?

• Concise summary of cruise itself
    • Concise summary comparing cruise to other ships in cruise line's fleet
    • Concise summary comparing cruise with other cruise lines
    • Every detail from a few days before cruise until a few days after cruise
    • Every detail from embarkation to disembarkation

A lot depends on who is doing the review. I really don't care much for the kind of reviews where it seems the person goes around like a critic with a checklist and their report focuses on varnish on the rails and so forth. I like reviews that actually help me virtually experience the cruise.

Radio does the most entertaining and useful reviews I have ever read. He is currently doing one from the Enchantment of the Seas. Last year he did one on a Mercury cruise out of Baltimore, and, as we were going to go on the same cruise a few weeks after his, it was fantastic. Luckily, we are going on the Enchantment in December, so I will be reading his every word (and pictures).

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Enjoy the review of the cruise itself - a summary about that cruise. Also like it when the reviewer says why they specifically liked or disliked (especially disliked) something so I can tell if their opinion is something I'd care about. Not meanly, but if they are bothered by something I don't care about - they complain about the wine because it didn't have the ones they enjoy, then I know I don't have to worry about that as an issue for me - I drink pretty much any wine just so it hasn't 'turned' or it's too sweet. The rest if fair game for me!

But I like the summaries of the cruise, maybe a few comments about each port especially if they took a private tour, don't really care about the before/after comments on their flights and if they think it took too long to get on or off and so on. Not too interested in most people's comments on entertainment, and if they liked the food unless there is a specific recommendation or one that is very bad - a specific dish. If someone starts the, 'hated all the entrees', I usually stop reading right then.....boy, this is a heck of a review of reviews isn't it!

Denny

I don't mind details about ports of call, but I really hate reviews that give a negative impression of the cruise simply because the reviewer didn't like the ports or their excursions. Those things have very little to do with the ship or anything that is under the cruise lines' control (other than ship-sponsored excursions, of course). Excessive details about bad transfers from the airport, bad flights, bad hotels, etc. are also not helpful.

Mainly, when I'm reading a review of a ship, I want to read about the SHIP.

I want to hear everything about everything. Going to the airport, hotel stays etc...

Love it all

I agree.

I much prefer narratives about the journey over step-by-step reviews. We can all use our imaginations when we read someone's story about a trip, but a step-by-step review -- we went to the pool, the bolt on the M class ship had rust... (duh); we went to lunch at 2 and the food on the buffet was bad (you tried everything?) -- becomes a tedious, canned, bulleted Powerpoint, that makes the reader question the reviewer's authenticity. Surely one would not take a cruise just to write a review about a ship. Write about the vacation!

For me I love to hear about the experience of the cruise, whatever the poster may have to say. For me the destination is the ship, not the ports, they are just an added benefit! Please do not bore me with the painful details about the rust or the hand rails needs to be stained. There is rust and all the railings need to be stained! Thanks!

I am tired of reviews that tell what they ate.. we all like different food. but i do want to hear about a cabin as i might upgrade or downgrade depending on price of cruise. if they been on two cruise lines that ships are about the same size i want info - maybe i want to try that line.

What is your favorite type of cruise review thread?

Sadly none of the choices offered, at least not here at this point.

I don't read them anymore, and stopped contributing.

IMHO CC censors too much. Once tried to post a very negative review about the Sea Diamond, Louis Cruises newest member a few weeks after joining the fleet. Told no way, CC could not verify my complaints and observations as none of their "people" had sailed her. :rolleyes::mad:

Within a year, the Sea Diamond sank to the bottom due to incompetence and two lives were lost.

Nope, don't read the reviews here anyway.

Sorry CC. Love the BB and the news feeds... don't bother with the reviews. :cool:

cruisership2.jpg

BTW I still occationally contribute to Trip Advisor....

Interesting to read the responses; will help me write my review. I recall a very helpful review a few months back that rated the various categories (cabin, food, entertainment, service, etc.). Sure, this is the opinion of one person, but it does give you a quick snapshot of their experience on that particular ship on that sailing. Opinions and experiences vary from sailing to sailing and based on the person's likes and dislikes obviously.

I do like the food photos as the menu descriptions are often not the most illuminating!

Excessive detail for me tends to get tedious and I'll stop reading.

I'm really not concerned with what flight # people take and what they pack.

ORV, I feel the same way. It reminds me of a Dicken's novel but that author had a good excuse. He got paid by the word :)

Archived