River Cruise Company for O-lovers?

pacheco18

I am thinking of taking my first river cruise. After doing some research, it seems like Avalon and AMA would be the right fit. I have also heard great things about Tauck, although those prices seem to be a bit higher. Itineraries are almost identical.

I would like to hear from regular O cruisers who have river cruise experience and get their recommendations about which line would be comparable to O. One of my biggest concerns is that we usually do not take ship sponsored excursions because we like small groups. On a river cruise we would participate in the excursions. I would love information about the size of the groups on the included excursions.

Another issue -- I would probably do the "cruise only" and do the pre and post land on my own. I do not need a guide in a large city and I have so many Marriott points I can stay at hotels for free. What are your thoughts on going that route?

Have been on AMA on the Danube (Amacello) and highly recommend them. River cruising is cosier than ocean cruising but I notice that AMA continues to make vessels that seem to get better and better. The newest have real balconies (rare on river boats). If you are travelling in winter (which in Europe on the Danube was gorgeous) I recommend the top deck as the noise on lower decks if the river is icy can be annoying. Ama dining is excellent.

AMA has an Oceania like feel, although the passengers include a bigger european mix. The excursions were good and because river boats usually cruise into the centre of town often only involve minimal "coaching" and are mostly easy walking tours. There are only up to 100 or so passengers on board and there are normally many tour groups at each site so they are never too large. It's not the same as a private tour but quite different from a ships tour on an ocean cruise.

On the Nile I strongly recommend Abercrombie & Kents Sunboat III and IV.

Ocean and river cruising are very different but both wonderful for the right itinerary.

We are huge Vantage fans. We especially have enjoyed our President's Cruises, which include a few more "bells and whistles" than the regular cruises (see my sig line for the ones we have taken). On a President's Cruise, if you care, wine is always included with meals.... you never pay for shore excursions -- and their Program Managers are marvelous. Local guides manage the tours, and you are offered the little headsets that let you hear a guide without pressing in on the crowd. Okay, it isn't as luxe as some might wish, but we have always felt utterly cared for on Vantage cruises!

Do contact me directly if I can answer any questions, traveler to traveler. (I am not an agent)

We have just arrived home, mid October, from a most enjoyable cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam on a Scenic Tours cruise. This is an Australian company, our fellow guests were 50% Australian, 30% Canadian(arranged by a tour agent in Vancouver) and 20% mainly from Britain. It is one of the few companies which have river boats with full balconies which we used a lot as there is always something of interest to see along the banks. All shore excursions were included as was beer and wine with meals. There were 160 people on board. I would thoroughly reccomend this company. We will meet a lot of you again next week on Nautica en route to Cape Town.

We have just arrived home, mid October, from a most enjoyable cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam on a Scenic Tours cruise. This is an Australian company, our fellow guests were 50% Australian, 30% Canadian(arranged by a tour agent in Vancouver) and 20% mainly from Britain. It is one of the few companies which have river boats with full balconies which we used a lot as there is always something of interest to see along the banks. All shore excursions were included as was beer and wine with meals. There were 160 people on board. I would thoroughly reccomend this company. We will meet a lot of you again next week on Nautica en route to Cape Town.

Thanks for the update on Scenic ..I am leaning towards them but now have to convince DH to go ;)

enjoy your upcoming O cruise

Lyn

With respect to the balconies (French or full), veteran river cruisers I know told me not to waste money on a balcony on a river cruise. They claim that most of the cruise there is something to see on BOTH sides of the ship so passengers want to be on the outside or inside decks with a panoramic view.

In 2007, we cruised on the Avalon Artistry on a 20 day holiday which included 3 days pre-cruise in Prague, 14 days from Nuremberg on the Danube to the Black Sea, and 3 days in Bucharest post-cruise. The meals on board were outstanding as were the red and white wines served with every dinner. The French balconies are all you need for sightseeing while sailing; we spent most of time on the upper deck when not ashore on the included tours.

Last year, we spent 14 days in Egypt which included 4 days pre-cruise in Cairo, 7 days on the Nile including Abu Simbel and 3 days in Cairo/Alexandria post-cruise. The food and wine were excellent but not up to the European standard. Again, we recommend the longer 7 day cruise on the Nile to enjoy this fascinating experience.

Would we do another river cruise, most definitely. We are considering Moscow to St Petersburg next year.

Don

We have only cruised with Avalon and love river cruising and Avalon. Their ships are quite new and the crew is young but experienced and aims to please. The food was wonderful and we especially enjoyed the lunches since they prepared the foods from the area we were passing through. Free wine of the region flows freely at dinner.

Don't worry about bus excursions because most of the time you will be docked in city center and can quite literally walk a few hundred feet and you are in an ancient town. Sometimes buses will be used to take you to places you might want to see but are too far to walk, such as Nuremberg, Cesky Krumlov, or Saltzburg. On Avalon, you will pick up a listening device to wear as a necklace that is color coded. You will then board the bus that matches your color; this makes it easy to avoid someone or to join someone by observing which color they choose!!

I think you will probably be fine choosing any of the companies although I would advise you to check the age of the ship. Some of the navigation aids would be newer as well as the fixtures within your cabin. If you can afford it, the top deck of cabins are wonderful.

BTW, on our trip from Budapest to Amsterdam there were 148 passengers: 6 Americans, 2 Canadians and the rest Aussies and Kiwis! Great travel mates!! River cruising is wonderful and a great DIY way to see some wonderful towns.

Pacheco, here's an interesting thread from the River & Canal Cruises Forum that asks your question slightly differently. You'll find that some posters got quite nasty in making their points, but nevertheless, there's great comparative info here. Hope it helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1195055&highlight=oceania

We have cruised with AMA, Uniworld, Vantage and Viking. As someone who loves the O experience, I think AMA and Uniworld come closest. With Vantage you cannot use a TA and there is not a real international mix of pax. Viking would compare to a mass market line with up to 200 pax on a boat. You really have to choose an itinerary and then look at the lines offering it and what they include. We have only had a french balcony on our Vantage trip because all other cabins had day beds not hotel style beds. The food on both AMA and Uniworld is very good. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style with a few items that can be ordered. Dinner is plated--usually a meat, fis and veg. entree choice. They both serve regional cuisine and wines. Have fun finding the perfect trip for you. Pat.

PS Wehave have taken 13 river cruises.

I am looking at Scenic cruises or AMA on the new ships (with partial balcony)

I am still leery of river cruise ...I do not want to end up on a bus tour ;)

Lyn

one river cruise, that was a holiday cruise on Viking and all the tours included were walking tours. It was a wonderful experience, especially because we really enjoy Xmas!! LuAnn

one river cruise, that was a holiday cruise on Viking and all the tours included were walking tours. It was a wonderful experience, especially because we really enjoy Xmas!! LuAnn

I do not think DH would go for a Holiday cruise ...we like to get away from the cold

People in SD may like it but we get 5 + months of it here ;)

Lyn

Pacheco, here's an interesting thread from the River & Canal Cruises Forum that asks your question slightly differently. You'll find that some posters got quite nasty in making their points, but nevertheless, there's great comparative info here. Hope it helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1195055&highlight=oceania

Painful to read. LOL Thanks for the link.

Seems like I am back to where I started -- maybe AMA, Avalon, Tauck and adding Uniworld as a possibility.

Painful to read. LOL Thanks for the link. a certain poster has knocked O on many forums ;)

Seems like I am back to where I started -- maybe AMA, Avalon, Tauck and adding Uniworld as a possibility.

I would look at the itinerary & the cabins ..some have the fold up bed and very small cabins compare to O.

I like the ones that have full beds.

Most include wine with dinner

so far I have learned

Scenic includes it with lunch & dinner along excursions & gratuities included

Some do not include excursions

They all seem to come in at the same price point give or take a couple of hundred $

Hope you find one to suits your needs

Lyn

We did a river cruise a few years ago and used Uniworld thru Amex platinum card because they were the only line at that time that had some suites on the ship that were slightly larger than the regular cabins. Be aware that the beds are extremely narrow.

We have taken only one river cruise--Grand Circle in Nov. Budapest to Prague. We loved the cities, and the price and food were terrific, but the weather was bitterly cold. The problem for us was the feeling of being cramped and crowded. The beds were singles, one pulled down from the wall. Even though we had a small balcony, it was too cold to use and it was too cold for the upper deck. There was never a comfortable place to go and read or relax and be quiet. All public spaces were filled all the time.

Which lines have rooms with real double or queen beds? We would love to do another river cruise, but need larger beds, a room where we can really relax, and windows that open or a balcony. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ddcruiser

On Avalon, there are french balconies with doors that open and I think that you will be unable to find river ships on the Rhine/Danube that could have "real" balconies because the ship must fit through very old locks. At 2:00am. I looked out our window and could only see very old, wet mossy rocks; we were going through a lock and I could easily touch the rocks....very cool!! BTW, the top deck also collapses, including pilot house, so that the ships can scoot under the ancient bridges!

We had hotel beds and nothing pulled down from the wall. Avalon also has on the "royal deck",(the deck just beneath the sun deck,) 2 suites that are larger than the other cabins. There are 2 ships new this year that have 4 suites so there are some possibilities if you want larger cabins.

As others have said smoking may only occur in one little nook outside and then in the back of the sun deck.

River travel is a very relaxing way to travel and you'll probably come home hooked. We're going on Avalon September 2011 from Paris to Normandy then back to Paris and on to the Provence. (Grand France with extension). Can't wait.

We have taken only one river cruise--Grand Circle in Nov. Budapest to Prague. We loved the cities, and the price and food were terrific, but the weather was bitterly cold. The problem for us was the feeling of being cramped and crowded. The beds were singles, one pulled down from the wall. Even though we had a small balcony, it was too cold to use and it was too cold for the upper deck. There was never a comfortable place to go and read or relax and be quiet. All public spaces were filled all the time.

Which lines have rooms with real double or queen beds? We would love to do another river cruise, but need larger beds, a room where we can really relax, and windows that open or a balcony. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ddcruiser

The Vantage ships have what they refer to as "suites" which are rooms with "real beds."

Details of the ships here:

http://www.vantagetravel.com/Ship/Fleet_RIVER_VANTAGE

ddcruiser

I'm sure this is not considered a "luxury line" but we had a cabin that was larger than a standard balcony cabin on O..it was somewhere between that and a PH in size. It was really very spacious, had a good size bathroom, a huge amount of storage and sliding windows that opened but no balcony. There were 2 double beds. There was a very small library area on board and the lounge area was free during the day so that you could read or relax there if you wanted to. They offered complimentary excursions into the towns (walking). The ship was not quite full (this was the week of Xmas) but even if it had been I don't think it would have been crowded. Good luck on your search! We definately plan to do more of this type of cruising! LuAnn

Avalon is a definite plus. We have sailed on her 2 times. There is a new company, Scenic Tours, which I understand is out of Canada. Their river boats have balconies on which you can actually sit. Go to their website.

I don't know anything about them, but our agency is booking them and has had a good response.

Archived