Typical Teens Charges to Seapass

I note in other posts that we may place a limit on our two grandson's seapass charges. Is this done by specifying a daily limit, or an overall not to exceed total? They're pretty conservative kids, and naturally frugal, but I'm curious what types of items they might be required/ expected to pay for when engaged in the on-board organized teen program? Do they charge for use of wave-rider/zipline/climbing wall/computer games and similar recreational stuff? How about soft drinks and other snacks outside of regular dinner hours? I'd like to be able to give them some pointers before turning them loose....what's a legit charge and what to avoid!

Flow rider and climbing wall are free, but an adult will have to sign consent forms for them on the first day. In our case, or son (first cruise began on his 14th birthday) mainly uses his card for the video arcade. We don't place restrictions on his card, but allow him a "discretionary budget" of $50. Likewise, our daughter has a similar budget, she's more likely to spend hers on t-shirts, souvenirs and Ben and Jerry's.

From memory, they've never been asked to pay for any activity organised by the youth team, and I've certainly never come across any untoward attempts to get them to hand over their card.

They both have soda cards, so drinks are not an issue, as regards Johnny Rocketts, we have a rule that we will go as a family and they don't go independently. We've always found that trusting them to stay within budget works, it gives them experience at budgetting, and they know if they go over, it comes off their pocket money when we get home!

I would get them soda cards so you don't have to worry about that.

If they go to the arcade, there is a machine in there where you can add cash to the card. So you put in $20 and swipe the card and now they have $20 to spend. They can't go over that amount.

I don't think there is much besides Ben & Jerry's or Johnny Rockets that they would have to pay for.

Our first cruise with the kids we didn't know any better and when checking our Sea Pass Account Balance on the TV about halfway through the cruise we noticed several internet charges. My then 15 yr old had been going on line to check his MySpace:eek: Luckily it was only about $30 worth and we were able to nip it right then. That was 5 years ago and and now with the way kids are "connected" (texts, facebook, etc) just be aware that this is an additional opportunity for your grandkids to add charges to the Sea Pass account. I'm sure if you lay out the rules ahead of time you'll have no problem. Have a great cruise! I cannot wait to cruise with my grandkids someday.

Last year I gave my son (age15) a $50 spending limit for the entire cruise. He ended up just buying his own soda pass, and ate one afternoon at Johnny Rockets with some friends he made at the Teen Program. So it total, he used about $20. He is normally a frugal child also, so he didn't think the charge for the video games was worth it, and besides, a few nights at the teen center, they gave the kids free access to some of the games for a while (some type of game competition). He also told me they had "Rock Band", and "Guitar Hero" competitions (both free of charge). My two daughters (age 16 and 19 at the time), spent about the same onboard.

Last year I gave my son (age15) a $50 spending limit for the entire cruise. He ended up just buying his own soda pass, and ate one afternoon at Johnny Rockets with some friends he made at the Teen Program. So it total, he used about $20. He is normally a frugal child also, so he didn't think the charge for the video games was worth it, and besides, a few nights at the teen center, they gave the kids free access to some of the games for a while (some type of game competition). He also told me they had "Rock Band", and "Guitar Hero" competitions (both free of charge). My two daughters (age 16 and 19 at the time), spent about the same onboard.

Our experience is about the same. We buy the soda package for them and they don't charge anything to their seapass. They don't have much interest in the arcade and they get ice cream in the dining room if they want it.

My Grandson has a limit added to his SeaPass. He and a nephew, in the past have had an inside cabin directly across from ours. On our next cruise, he and a friend will have a Promenade cabin across from us. He uses his OBC for the following:

Internet fees: He always has some excuse as to why he needs to contact friends at home.

Johnny Rockets: He's hooked on the shakes and even though we give him our BOGO coupons, he still have a few trips on his seapass (especially on sea days).

Arcade: He uses it very little, but still there are a few and they add up quickly.

Ben & Jerrys: He's only gotten a couple of ice creams there during the course of a week long cruise.

He keeps a jar with 1's and change in his cabin for tips. He LOVES room service late in the evening. He orders cookies, pizza and soft drinks. Even though he has a soda card, and the food is free, the drinks ordered through room service are charged to the Seapass (because they bring canned drinks). He tips in cash but the canned drinks are charged at $2.25 each to the Seapass.

Even with these charges, he's never used over $50 for the week.

I liked giving my son the option of buying his own soda pass with his spending money so he could see that it was coming out of his money...hoping he would decide NOT to drink soda...lol...but I guess he felt soda was "worth it" :rolleyes: At home, my son has his own junior bank account and when he makes some money (babysitting, mowing lawns, etc), he goes to the bank on friday after school and makes his own deposits (usually keeps about $10 dollars in his pocket and deposits whatever is left). He has an ATM card that allows him to withdraw his money from a machine, but does not allow him to make direct purchases (store or internet). It's great and has taught him to budget :)

We have always told kids that they have a limit (whether it be daily or for the entire cruise) as to how much they can spend. They understand that there will be consequences if they abuse the privilege. Our kids are very responsible and we have never had them go over the limit. Most of the time they never even get anywhere near it.

I agree with the others here, get them a soda card, then there really are not a lot of other things that they should be charging. Personal note here, if the teens will be out and about on their own I feel a soda card is imperative for them. One of our rules is if your drink is out of your sight for a second, dump it and get another. With the soda card it is so much easier for them to follow this. You never know who else is on the ship and what they will be doing to others drinks. Do they actually drink enough soda to pay for the card, who knows, but my peace of mind is worth it.

The main things for teens (especially the boys) are the arcade and the internet. For my DD we have never had to worry about it. If she wants a frozen virgin whatever she will usually ask for it when we are around. My DS on the other hand, we check his charging daily. We limit him to no more than $10 a day (most of which goes to the arcade). If he goes over 1 day, he looses the next days chargining privledges. Our thought, set the rules before you board to make sure everyone knows what they are and what the consequences are. Then follow through. It only takes 1 consequence and they learn.

Everything they need is free...

Activities

Snacks (promenade if buffet is closed; ice cream by pool)--plus meals are so large there was little need for anything other than a bedtime snack

We did buy soda card for oldest.

Any purchases they wanted to make had to go through us (the each bought a few trinkets in Mexico...)

We gave our kids a $100 budget on our DCL cruise & each spent less than $30. So this time we told them $30 & they each spent $15! Go figure!

(they also just gave me their Xmas lists & the oldest 2 said "I don't want much"--huh??!! Luv em!)

I note in other posts that we may place a limit on our two grandson's seapass charges. Is this done by specifying a daily limit, or an overall not to exceed total? They're pretty conservative kids, and naturally frugal, but I'm curious what types of items they might be required/ expected to pay for when engaged in the on-board organized teen program? Do they charge for use of wave-rider/zipline/climbing wall/computer games and similar recreational stuff? How about soft drinks and other snacks outside of regular dinner hours? I'd like to be able to give them some pointers before turning them loose....what's a legit charge and what to avoid!

I would suggest that you give them a specific amount. Tell them the amount long in advance. Then allow them to earn / save / accumulate their own funds and do not worry about a thing. Let them spend it however they please.

They will learn the value of a dollar when they find out it is their money and it had to be earned by them.

Also, you can check what is spent by just turning on your TV and viewing their account.

Hhmmm, maybe I could get my wife to be to take a leaf out of these very sensible teenagers books?

I know right? I spend my money like its going out of style. Wonder if any us non-kids could limit ourselves to 50$ a cruise. :) sounds like no fun at all

Archived