Laptop Gone Missing?

martyz

I keep my laptop in my bag, sometimes on the couch, sometimes in the closet. While there is always the chance of theft, odds are it won't be from your cabin steward who knows that he or she will be the first one questioned/blamed. Frankly, so many people have laptops and the prices are so cheap for many of them, their security is not as big of an issue as it used to be. If you are really worried, keep it out of sight and you should be fine.

Just leave it on the desk. I dont' think the room steward is going to steal your computer..

While being correct the room steward isn't going to steal your personal property, while they are breaking down the rooms daily (bedding, towels, cleaning) the usually leave your door open while at their cart gathering items. If they get distracted by another one of their guest (extra towels, ice etc) someone can walk into your room and grab what is out in the open.

I generally don't worry about my electronics, however while I was on the Rhapsody, I left my iPad on the desk. When I returned to the room, I noticed the door was propped open, no big deal. I hid at the end of the hall to see how long it took the steward to return, I gave up after 10 minutes. Anyone passing by the room could see the iPad sitting on the desk, unattended. Our steward was extremely nice and helped me with other matters so I didn't really count it against her, but it's something others should be cautious about

Where do you put your laptop when not in the cabin? Has any laptops gone missing? How’s the wifi reception on the Navigator in the cabins? I am on Deck 9.

Just curious . . . .

Thanks

I leave mine on the desk in the cabin plugged in and then just carry it to the wifi area when I want to check email. Wifi reception in a cabin depends on how close you are to a wifi hotspot. If near enough it will work -- otherwise you will have to go to that area to connect.

Where do you put your laptop when not in the cabin? Has any laptops gone missing? How’s the wifi reception on the Navigator in the cabins? I am on Deck 9.

Just curious . . . .

Thanks

I leave mine in the cabinet above the TV, along with my DSLR and video cameras and all my other electronic gadgets (Kindle, MP3 player, etc.)

WiFi in your room on Navigator will be spotty. If your room is close enough to one of the Hot spots then it may work. For what its worth I've never been successful using Wi-Fi in the room on Navigator and I've been onboard 8 times.

The first time we ever brought a laptop on a cruise, we kept locking it in the safe whenever we left the cabin. That quickly got to be a pain, needing to keep taking it out and putting it back.

Next, we tried the cable, which also turned out to be a nuisance so we took it off. We like the freedom of easily moving the laptop around from desk to couch to balcony, as we wish.

So ever since, we have just been leaving it out on the desk or table and have never had a problem.

We keep a short password on it, enough to deter someone snooping who might open it up to try to use it or see what we have on it.

It is unlikely that anyone on the ship would try to steal it. As previously pointed out, prices of laptops are now so low that a thief would more likely be tempted by other, more valuable items.

Archived