Eating on board

ikajus

How does the whole eating thing work? Do need to show a card to get into the main restaurants? Do they keep track of how much you eat? Can you eat in one main restaurant and then get up and go eat at another? Can you order room service and then go the the dining room?

How does the whole eating thing work?

Do need to show a card to get into the main restaurants?

No (or at least I don't remember...I'm old)

Do they keep track of how much you eat??

No. You can eat yourself to death on a cruise!

Can you eat in one main restaurant and then get up and go eat at another??
Many have tried. No really, there will be more food than ANYONE can eat. Order 2 entres at each sitting. Relax, enjoy. Unless you plan on sprinting around the boat in constant search of food.

Can you order room service and then go the the dining room?

Yup, sure can. But let your Doctor know what cabin you're in. They'll might find you passed out under a Turkey sandwich. LOL

You will have an assigned table and an assigned dining time to eat dinner each evening, unless you're on one of the luxury lines where they have open seating, or you go on Princess and they have Personal choice dining. There's only one main restaurant for a more formal breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the buffet for breakfast and lunch---some ships also have the buffet open for dinner. On some ships there is an alternate restaurant, where you have to pay extra to eat, some as high as $30 a person.

Don't worry about food, believe me, you cannot go hungry. You have breakfast, mid morning snacks, lunch, mid afternoon snacks, dinner, and late night snacks. There's always pizza and ice cream available somewhere on the ship. For lunch there's a burger, hot dog and pizza place in addition to the main restaurant and buffet. Room service menus are usually very limited unless you're in one of the big fancy suites. But, you don't have to stress over food. No one goes hungry on a cruise. If you want everything on the menu at dinner, you can do that, but that means you will have four appetizers, two soups, two salads, four main courses, and four desserts. I hope that's enough food for you LOL.

Only you can keep track of how much you are eating, there are no spies following you around the ship watching you. Unless you sail on a Freestyle (NCL) or Personal Choice (Princess) you may not be able to go to two dinners in the main dining room. You could eat dinner in the dining room, go to the buffet, pizza counter, shushi bar, order room service. Possibly, if you have early seating, go back at late seating and ask if there is an available table to eat again. Or, make reservations at a specialty restaurant (extra $$) and also go to your assigned dinner time. Many times ships have midnight buffets or chocolate buffets.

For breakfast or lunch, you could eat at the buffet and be seated in the dining room before or after. I have witnessed people in the buffet taking enough food for a family of 6 and no one stopped them. Then there is also the pool grill, if you can possibly eat the shoe leather burgers that are served.

Bottom line, don't worry, you will definitely not go hungry on a cruise.

How does the whole eating thing work? Do need to show a card to get into the main restaurants?

no

Do they keep track of how much you eat

they ask your spouse to do that

Can you eat in one main restaurant and then get up and go eat at another? ?

yes if your spouse lets you

Can you order room service and then go the the dining room]

yes if your s----e lets you (fill in the missing letters)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ? too about the dining room??? I am assuming the main dining room is where you can't wear jeans and need to dress business casual. Now is there other options for dinner where jeans and shorts can be worn. Are there other restaurants that offer more casual meals like burgers, pizza and things like that.

I printed off a menu from the Glory and the food did not look like something I would like to eat every night.

I am hoping that was maybe a sample of a menu and not all the choices.

Was just wondering, I am sure I will not go hungry there are plenty of other options I am sure.

Thanks for any input...

This could also be a very big deciding factor in what I need to pack, as if I don't go to the dining room everynight I can drastically reduce my packing....

Leave in 16 days!!! Yipeeee!!! :D

Laurie, if you want to wear the jeans and shorts, you can have room service or the buffet, but you're going to miss out on the much better food in the regular dining room if you chose not to go there. The menu you saw was just a sample and it changes every day. Also, if you don't do formal night in the dining room, it's probably not a good idea to walk around the ship in shorts after 6pm, that is if you want to go to the shows or lounges and everyone is dressed formally.

Laurie;

Do yourself a favor and try the formal dining room. I can hear it calling my name. They have prime rib, escar??, eskarg?? snails, mahi mahi, tiger shrimp,and my favorite, decadence of chocolate. If you don't like the esca?? Esk??, snails, order the lobster, or 2 lobsters. But by all means, try it. It is one of the main reasons to cruise.

Have a great trip and eat a shrimp for me.

Clackey

I'm really looking forward to trying all the menu items (except shrimp because of allergy). It's my kind of food. We love eating out at restaurants that serve that level of dining. Filet mignon, prime rib, interesting soups, desserts, MMMMMMMM. We plan on hitting the dining room for every meal we're on board. I can do a buffet, bugers or pizza anywhere and anytime. I may even try escargot. Although the slime factor is making me think twice. LOL:)

OK, I will definately pack accordingly to eat in the dining room every night. We are planning on going to both formal nights. That is the main reason my husband is crusing is for the food so the dining room would be the best choice.

What do you feel about the supper club that you have to pay extra for? Is it worth the extra money???

Thanks for the input!!

Laurie:)

Most lines have a rotating nightly menu but they also always have a few other things like a plain steak, grilled chix or fish and a pasta. BUT half the fun is trying new things. If you don't like something, ask for another item. The staff is used to people doing this! Some nights I had 2 appetizers and no salad....never had more than 1 entree or dessert but a couple people at my table did! No problem!

NOW...as for where and how much to eat.....what happens on a cruise stays on a crusie and CALORIES CAN'T SWIM!!! So....as long as your traveling companion won't rat you out.......EAT UP!!!

I suggest maalox, tums, prevacid, prilosec, nexium, rolaids and pepto!!! just in case....BUT we didn't get sick from anything on the ship!!!! And I think i lost a pound or 2.....I took the steps when I was alone roaming about and the elevator with mom......

It took me 6 cruises to talk my SO into trying the SUpper CLub on the Miracle last month. Now he is sorry that he did not try it before. To us it was well worth the 50.00 plus $10 tip. It takes 2 1/2 hours and does not feel like it at all. (thats one of the reasons he balked at going) The food was good. The ambiance of the place was fabulous. The servers are great. Only problem in the SUpper club is you can only order one entree unlike the dining room where you can have as many as you want.

Kitty 9

Sorry, I haven't been on in a couple days... We are on the Carnival Glory leaving March 19th!! Yippeee!!

Also, can men wear khakis and a dress shirt for regular dining room. He has some shirts that are knit but has no collar can he wear that type shirt, or do they all have to be collared shirts.

We are going to start packing this weekend so don't want to pack alot that he won't be wearing.

They are like ribbed knit shirts but they just have the neck no collars

Hard to explain.

Thanks

Laurie :cool:

Archived