Jumping ahead of myself and considering voyage #2 before even our first is done. . .

mimito4

Finding myself extremely jealous of the people on the current Voyager crossing, and having fond memories of a Crystal transpacific crossing, I started looking at Regent's upcoming crossings. This in spite of the fact that we won't have taken our first Regent voyage until Aug 31, 2011.

Anyway, March 2012 would work for us, so I'm looking into it, justifying it by saying these repositioning cruises are such good deals. On such a crossing, we would likely go for a category H stateroom, but already I see that it is wait listed. I e-mail our TA today and she suggested proceeding with confirming a G while wait listing the H.

She explained that while we would get the past passenger discount (since we will have cruised once with Regent by then), that the only way to get the on-board booking discount is to wait until our voyage in August and book, well, on-board. She even called Regent to try and see if she could work around this, and got a no answer.

I have several questions that I hope you'll indulge:

1) how much is the on-board booking discount?

2) is there a way to get around the "must book on-board and not ahead of time" rule to get the on-board booking discount?

3) how likely is it that the lower level staterooms would fill by then if we waiting to book (7 months before sail date?)

4) what is the likelihood that we'll ultimately get the H since it is wait listed already this far out?

5) does the Voyager have stateroom levels that should be avoided (i.e., the dreaded Navigator aft cabins)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1) how much is the on-board booking discount?

2) is there a way to get around the "must book on-board and not ahead of time" rule to get the on-board booking discount?

3) how likely is it that the lower level staterooms would fill by then if we waiting to book (7 months before sail date?)

4) what is the likelihood that we'll ultimately get the H since it is wait listed already this far out?

5) does the Voyager have stateroom levels that should be avoided (i.e., the dreaded Navigator aft cabins)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have been told to avoid the H category in Voyager--we have almost always booked a G, deck 6, mid-ship. I believe some H cabins are aft, which is the same deal as Navigator (or similar, the issue is vibration.) So your G might be a real prize.

Onboard booking discounts vary depending on the voyage, I believe there is a list somewhere. I believe you can have an onboard discount "transferred" to an existing booking, but ask your TA about that (I've done it a few times.)

And don't forget the Seven Seas Society discount. Not all voyages have them, but there's usually a list somewhere (applies to everyone who has done at least one voyage previously.)

Thanks Wendy.

edited to say that I don't know what I was thinking, but just noted that this particular voyage is on the Mariner, not the Voyager. Does that change your thoughts on stateroom selection?

You can book NOW and then when on the cruise in August you ask to have an onboard booking applied retroactively to your previously booked cruise. As long as the fare has not gone up and the category you booked is still available for sale they will do this for you. Your TA or the Cruise Consultant on board and can request the onboard booking be added to your cruise.

If the category is no longer available or the fare has gone up you are better off booking now anyway rather than waiting to book onboard as those savings would probably be worth more than the onboard booking. If you also manage to apply the onboard booking in August you are really ahead of the game.

Absolutely no sense in waiting until you are on the ship in August to book this cruise.

Agree with all the advice given above. If it's Mariner , there is no problem with vibration. Therefore, you can book a G guarantee if that's the cheapest available with no fear of getting a suite in an area with vibration. We were recently on the Mariner in one of the suites with large shower and loved that. Some of the suites have a large shower, others have a tub/shower combo.

I booked my upcoming Dec. 3rd , Mariner cruise in July, 2009.

In Dec, 2009 I was on the trans Pacific Mariner cruise and I just took my deposit receipt to the travel consultant on board and between he and my TA the discount was arranged with no hassles.

There are no bad cabins on the Mariner, so you will have no problems with any cabin.

You will love the Mariner and like you we also enjoy the long crossings. With those wonderful sea days, one really gets the benefit of being on a luxury line. Many would disagree with me but personally, I feel it a waste of money going on a luxury ship with a port intensive itinerary. One is often too tired to enjoy all the ship has to offer.

Happy cruising.

Many would disagree with me but personally, I feel it a waste of money going on a luxury ship with a port intensive itinerary. One is often too tired to enjoy all the ship has to offer.

You're right! I've never looked at it that way, but I think I TOTALLY agree with you. Following our transpacific Crystal crossing, we then did an eastern Med and while the Crystal experience and ship was lovely, the itinerary was so brutal, albeit interesting, leaving us too tired to do much of anything on port days other than shower, dine and plop in bed.

Some of the suites have a large shower, others have a tub/shower combo.

Oooh, I shall have to check into that large shower. I'd prefer that.

Many thanks for the help. To be quite honest, it's difficult at best, both physically and emotionally, for us to make plans so far ahead, but I would like to take advantage of the least costly stateroom. Our daughter was diagnosed with an aggressive, inoperable brain tumor (anaplastic astrocytoma) 18 months ago, so obviously that is always in our thoughts. Presently she is doing great (continues to teach and has even run a couple of marathons), but her prognosis is grim. The first 6 months we were paralyzed with grief and afraid to do anything. We remain hopeful that she will be one of the outliers in the statistical nightmare.

With that hope, we proceed through life.

Mimito4,

So sorry to hear of your great worries . Your daughter sounds a fighter and seems to be making the most of her life at the moment. While her quality of life is good, every day is precious.

It must be good therapy for you to be thinking of cruises.

I also second cruiseluv re the shower only cabins. The showers are very large, with a bench syle seat and a rain shower head plus a hand held type. They are great.

Enjoy your planning and every good wish for your daughter. Your times with her will be so special from now on. I hope they will be many.

Thanks Wendy.

edited to say that I don't know what I was thinking, but just noted that this particular voyage is on the Mariner, not the Voyager. Does that change your thoughts on stateroom selection?

Although I haven't been on Mariner, I've been told by my trusted TA what several others have stated here--there are no bad cabins, so waitlist the H if that's what you'd like.

So sorry about your daughter.

Thanks for your thorough answers. I look forward to meeting you on-board someday.

I awakened this morning and decided I would indeed reserve. Don't even intend to tell my husband because he'd balk at it being too far out, but he doesn't understand about wait-listing and taking advantage of early booking fares, etc. As you can surmise, I am our own in-house TA (not to worry, I do use a luxury TA to actually book). ;)

As for my daughter, I don't usually get into all that (at least not on the internet), but in case you find me shifting, canceling, or so on, you hopefully won't just think I'm a flake. Again, thanks for your kindness.

Hi Mrs. T. Dan and I have fond memories of sailing with you and Don on our Crystal transpacific cruise. We hope to see you both on another one. Caveat: No You Tubing us again. Our friends are still laughing.:D

Dan and I are sending postive thoughts for your daughter.

Big Hugs,

Miles & Dan

Thank you. So much.

And Miles, stop warning these good people about my photo/filming habits. They'll start running when they meet me. :p

Back to topic, my TA is holding a res until next week. I see that there is a penalty of a couple hundred $ for cancellation, even within the cancellation period. That's new to me. . .never had that with another line.

Archived