Video of Interview with Splendor Passenger

mathgeek1978

Travel insurance WOULD cover the cost. If one didn't have insurance, then Carnival would be the one you would try to recover costs from. My parents had this happen. They got very quick resolution from travel insurance. I suspect it would have taken a lot longer to go another route.

Also, now that I think about it, seems I've read that when luggage accidents happen outside the ship, it's not even Carnival employees at fault, it's the port employees.

Maybe they should, but the passenger signed the contract, and it tell you what you will get. Not many people read the contract. Thats another reason to get the insurance.

We get insurance to cover anything from the time we leave the house till we get back.

© Carnival shall not be liable for: (1) Guest’s failure to comply with the requirements set forth in Clauses 4(a) and 4(b); (2) any loss or damage before baggage comes into Carnival’s actual custody on board or after baggage leaves Carnival’s actual custody on board, including, but not limited to, loss or damage by airlines or other transportation services; (3) any loss or damage of baggage while not in the actual possession, custody and control of Carnival; (4) damage due to wear, tear or normal usage; (5) any loss or damage of perishable items, medicine, liquor, cash, securities or other financial instruments, or (6) any loss or damage while in the custody and control of stevedores.

(d) It is stipulated and agreed that the aggregate value of Guest’s property, does not exceed $50 per guest or bag with a maximum value of $100 per stateroom regardless of the number of occupants or bags and any liability of Carnival for any cause whatsoever with respect to said property shall not exceed such sum, unless the Guest shall in writing, delivered to Carnival, prior to embarkation, declare the true value thereof and pay to Carnival prior to embarkation a sum equal to 5% of the excess of such value. If Carnival shall be held liable for the loss of or damage to Guest’s baggage or property it is agreed that such liability shall not exceed the lesser of: (1) the actual cash value, or (2) value declared in the manner above provided (up to U.S. $100 if no such declaration has been made). Declared value amounts to be proportionately reduced in any case where less than all of Guest’s baggage or property is lost, delayed or rendered unusable due to damage. In no event shall Carnival be liable to pay any compensation if the nature or value of the property has been misrepresented.

Wow! There is soooo much hidden in the fine print of these contracts! Their upper limit is $100 per stateroom? Simply amazing.

I wonder who was actually in control of the basket of baggage that landed int eh drink. My guess is that fingers will be pointing at the other party.

The good news is that any attorney worth his salary can shred that clause if gross negligence can be proven in the handling of the baggage. If a security net is normally deployed during loading (proof of reasonable accommodation against accident), but wasn't in this instance, that could be grounds for a case against Carnival.

Maybe they should, but the passenger signed the contract, and it tell you what you will get. Not many people read the contract. Thats another reason to get the insurance.

We get insurance to cover anything from the time we leave the house till we get back.

Don't know why you are quoting me here. I said insurance WOULD pay.

I guess I am smarter than some folks who just walk on the ship with a small bag. I learned from someone at work who had their luggage lost by the airline, three weeks later when their vacation was over it still was unaccounted for. I pack a full change of clothes (all undies, bras, a tank top, capri, shorts, and one shirt) in a carry on bag along with my "health and beauty" items. If my luggage was dumped unceremoneously into the water while loading I would be pissed, but I could get by cuz I have everything I need in my carry on bag. it may way a tonne, but it is there!!!

I will now say the ONE item that is essential on every cruise, and especially for those in interior cabins--A FLASHLIGHT!!!!!!!! I have two small flashlights that come with me each cruise and I use em if I need to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night without turning the light on....also when I have a cabinmate and don't want to wake em by turning the lights on.....

There is plenty of space on deck of they put out all of the deck chairs for people to sleep under the stars--drag the duvet and try to sleep on the loungers...alas I couldnt' cuz they are hard on my back, but then again, I would have a balcony cabin.....I would be nice, I'd be willing to let someone crash in my cabin for the night if they had a low deck inside cabin and wanted to be higher up and have some light.....You can even sleep out on the balcony too using two chairs, the table, and a robe or something to lie on and then a blanket...my cabinmate did that on the Liberty and said it was comfy, but she was a skinny person, not fluffy like me....

If anyone who was on the cruise and didn't want to go cruisng again I will gladly offer to go in their place and back on the Splendor to boot!!!

I thought they put a net between the ship & dock to prevent this??

I shot this video from my balcony on the Splendor last December. As you can tell, the cages of luggage are placed right at the edge of the water, with a filmsy "fence" behind them. There's little room for the forklifts to move around. If a forklift accidentally backs into a cage, down into the water it goes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mathgeek1978?feature=mhum#p/u/31/_kkrfprIAAE

I don't get it, how in the world did 30 pcs of luggage end up in the water? I have been down there on that dock, and you would have to be pretty wreckless to do that. I would have been a little miffed about that...

Who cares about clothes and insurance? If I have to stand in line for two hours for a cold Spam sandwich, I'll wear a robe. They do still have robes in the cabins, right? Geez, the last thing I'm worried about is the stank in my Dockers.

I will now say the ONE item that is essential on every cruise, and especially for those in interior cabins--A FLASHLIGHT!!!!!!!! I have two small flashlights that come with me each cruise and I use em if I need to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night without turning the light on....also when I have a cabinmate and don't want to wake em by turning the lights on.....

There is plenty of space on deck of they put out all of the deck chairs for people to sleep under the stars--drag the duvet and try to sleep on the loungers...alas I couldnt' cuz they are hard on my back, but then again, I would have a balcony cabin.....I would be nice, I'd be willing to let someone crash in my cabin for the night if they had a low deck inside cabin and wanted to be higher up and have some light.....You can even sleep out on the balcony too using two chairs, the table, and a robe or something to lie on and then a blanket...my cabinmate did that on the Liberty and said it was comfy, but she was a skinny person, not fluffy like me....

We totally agree, misguidedangel.......we would hope that a lot of folks with balcony and suite staterooms would do exactly that, and let the folks from the inside cabins use either the balcony or the pull-out sofa in the stateroom.......and the crew could even put sun loungers out on the balconies for those folks to make it a tad better.

Let's remember - nobody was hurt-or worse; the ship IS afloat, and all will eventually be taken care of........

Rick/John

:p

Ok everyone knows insurance is good to have for future reimbursement. However, insurance doesnt clothe them in this situation. I am with the person who posted earlier, no one could offer or "lend" something to the poor souls that have nothing? I usually overpack and pack a lot of comfortable clothes and tank tops/tee shirts. Just saying...

Well said...insurance does them no good until they are on dry land. Don't know why people ???.....never mind !!! Grrrrr

Charleyann

Thirty pieces of luggage were dropped in the water before the ship left the dock??? He made is sound as if the luggage was not retrieved because the owners of the dropped luggage are walking around in bathrobes. I've never heard of luggage being dropped in the water at the dock.

The guy is a journalist. He is employed by a TV station in Denver. Typical sensationalism designed to help ratings.

I suspect that he has not investigated all of the decks and is speculating about conditions. His report is also contradictory to what Carnival is saying about toilet facilities.

The guy has one job, and that is to create interest so that his station sells advertising. I give him as much credibility as I do all of the other talking heads on TV. All fluff and no substance.

Thirty pieces of luggage were dropped in the water before the ship left the dock??? He made is sound as if the luggage was not retrieved because the owners of the dropped luggage are walking around in bathrobes. I've never heard of luggage being dropped in the water at the dock.

I've heard of it happening many times on these boards (not just Carnival board). That's why a lot of people cross pack, so that if one suitcase goes down, they have a chance at having some clothes in another suitcase.

OMG I just died when I heard about the luggage. Can you imagine those poor people as if it isnt already bad enough?

Me too!!! :eek:

Yeah, nothing to wear to Formal Night.

Chateau de Spam :p

Thats why you get insurance.

Amen!

Well said...insurance does them no good until they are on dry land. Don't know why people ???.....never mind !!! Grrrrr

Charleyann

Yeah, but having no clothes for a week is easier to deal with if you know you're going to get reimbursed...at least it would for me. I'd be mighty despondent if I didn't have insurance and lost 4 suitcases full of clothing on top of everything else.... That would just suck.

Charleyann

When this happened to my parents, they were given a stipend to buy some clothes in one of the gift shops. But that was on Princess.

The guy is a journalist. He is employed by a TV station in Denver. Typical sensationalism designed to help ratings.

I suspect that he has not investigated all of the decks and is speculating about conditions. His report is also contradictory to what Carnival is saying about toilet facilities.

The guy has one job, and that is to create interest so that his station sells advertising. I give him as much credibility as I do all of the other talking heads on TV. All fluff and no substance.

zqvol - Sorry friend but your making me a tad ill. You claim the video interviews a chap who is a journalist and, as such, gives us nothing but "fluff and no substance".

Aren't you the fellow who enlightened us all by stating on the first day of this misadventure that Splendor would be back in service very quickly because it would only need slight repairs and a quick paint job? It must be wonderful to be able to offer engineering analysis and information sitting at a computer keyboard typing nonsense on a subject about which you know nada, zilch zero.

Fluff and no substance? Stones? Throw? Glass houses?

zqvol - Sorry friend but your making me a tad ill. You claim the video interviews a chap who is a journalist and, as such, gives us nothing but "fluff and no substance".

Aren't you the fellow who enlightened us all by stating on the first day of this misadventure that Splendor would be back in service very quickly because it would only need slight repairs and a quick paint job? It must be wonderful to be able to offer engineering analysis and information sitting at a computer keyboard typing nonsense on a subject about which you know nada, zilch zero.

Fluff and no substance? Stones? Throw? Glass houses?

there's a major difference here, zqol is on a internet chatboard, this other guy is on the national stage.

OMG I just died when I heard about the luggage. Can you imagine those poor people as if it isnt already bad enough?

OMG OMG OMG I think I just might die...You mean that they have to give me new clothes to wear because they dropped mine. Oh - the horror, absolute horror. :rolleyes:

there's a major difference here, zqol is on a internet chatboard, this other guy is on the national stage.

I'm not really sure what he said that sounded too out there or sensational... I mean, that some people don't have toilets running? We'll know soon enough, but it's not like he was saying "it's HORRIBLE, people are crying and covered in dirt, we are starving and being fed only SPAM, it stinks and blah blah", he was saying that people were making the best of it, that the mood is fine other than some people that are complaining, and that some people don't have running water or toilets working. Is that very hard to believe just because he happens to be a journalist at his day job?

I'm not really sure what he said that sounded too out there or sensational... I mean, that some people don't have toilets running? We'll know soon enough, but it's not like he was saying "it's HORRIBLE, people are crying and covered in dirt, we are starving and being fed only SPAM, it stinks and blah blah", he was saying that people were making the best of it, that the mood is fine other than some people that are complaining, and that some people don't have running water or toilets working. Is that very hard to believe just because he happens to be a journalist at his day job?

all i'm saying is that there is a difference between what somebody says on the internet versus national media, because that other yahoo was trying to compare the two as if they are of equal standing.

When this happened to my parents, they were given a stipend to buy some clothes in one of the gift shops. But that was on Princess.

On one of my RCCL cruises a passenger we meant was wearing RCCL clothes all week and I asked him why and he said that the ship lost his luggage and RCCL gave him enough clothes for the week including a tux for formal night.

Have insurance, when good old delta lost my luggage, I called the insurance number, I was assigned a person to handle the problem, I gave them all my info and numbers, she told me I can get up to $500 of whatever I need. Keep the receits. I had one set of shorts and a shirt in my carryon and the meds so no problem. I used $300 first 3 days then used the rest. They will replace up to $1500 for that one bag. 8 days after I got home I got a check for $1500. A week later the bag showed up in rough shape. But it showed up. I still got to keep the $1500. This was about 4 years ago. I get insurance for all our vacations not just cruises.

Carnival will give you $50 if it would have happened on the ship. Its all in your contract what happens. You agree to the contract so there is not much you can do.

You might be able to get t-shirts, shorts etc. even a dress. BUT I have NEVER seen underwear on a cruise ship. Been on 3 different lines and have yet to see underwear for men, women or kids.

I have also never found anything that would fit me on a cruise ship except an evening wrap. Their 2x and 3x sizes are deffinitely not comparable in size to garments in land stores. I also cross-pack for both of us. Hubbys and mine are intermingled with day and evening stuff. And we take 2 carry-ons with necessities and clothing for 2 days.

I think after this incident LOTS more people will do things differently. I know I'll now take a flashlight AND some snacks and candy.

Archived