Motion sickness

sara mom

Leaving on my 1st RCI trip in December aboard the Enchantment. I have previously traveled on Carnival where you could get dramamine from guest services (or whatever that desk was called) should you need it. Does RCI have the same option? Or do I pack that along with everything else?

Leaving on my 1st RCI trip in December aboard the Enchantment. I have previously traveled on Carnival where you could get dramamine from guest services (or whatever that desk was called) should you need it. Does RCI have the same option? Or do I pack that along with everything else?

duplicate post...

Take everything you think you would need. I get the patch and I take imodium, pepto, advil, eye drops, after sun care (we forgot this one year and my husband had a severe sunburn) and just about my whole medicine cabinet :D You may be able to go to the ship's doctor and get something for seasickness but the purser's desk won't have anything.

Enjoy RCI...I think they offer a great product!

While I pack my own, it was more convenient to us to go by the Purser's Desk (there wasn't even a line) and ask for something. They have Bonine if you ask.

I have my own Bonine as well, but "if" we need extra, do they give one tablet per day, and we need to go back each day for more, if needed?

Thanks!

I have my own Bonine as well, but "if" we need extra, do they give one tablet per day, and we need to go back each day for more, if needed?

Thanks!

They will give you a few packets of Medi-Meclizine if you ask, each packet has two tablets....Also you might want to try sucking on a lemon wedge...an old wives tale that works...

Obviously, prepared travelers will bring any necessary medications with them. You can get remedies on board, but the selection is limited. They are not intended to eliminate the need to pack necessities. Of course, there are people who stoop to intentionally "forgeting" to bring their medications, so they can save a few dollars. There are always bad apples, but I think most people bring what they need, and enjoy the cruise.

We were on the Enchantment in October and I wore sea bands which helped until we hit rough seas. My husband went to the ship's doctor and brought back medicine..don't know what it was..didn't care! Made me feel better but also made me sleep for several hours. So if you don't want to get sick and don't want to be sleepy, bring the non-drowsy stuff from home!

I bring my own Bonine. I start 1-2 days before the cruise and take it every night before I go to bed. That way the "sleepiness" is when it needs to be and I can enjoy the cruise...I would not depend on the ship to have it available to me, but they probably do.

I bring my own Bonine. I start 1-2 days before the cruise and take it every night before I go to bed. That way the "sleepiness" is when it needs to be and I can enjoy the cruise...I would not depend on the ship to have it available to me, but they probably do.

Does that work.. taking it the night before? I always take it a few hours before I cruise... but even the non-drowsy makes me tired. My whole family took some non-drowsy before a whale watching trip in Maui and it make us ALL tired. My son was too tired to even enjoy it. We all went back and took a nap. I also don't usually drink coffee at night but find that the 1st night of my cruise I always drink some with dinner to wake me up from the medicine!

They will give you a few packets of Medi-Meclizine if you ask, each packet has two tablets....Also you might want to try sucking on a lemon wedge...an old wives tale that works...

Thanks

Hmm, never heard of the lemon wedge, doesn't hurt to try, especially if they have lemon wedges in the Windjammer or perhaps in a bar.

We drove across the border to the U.S. to buy our Bonine, since it's not available in Canada. Ours says non-drowsy. Do you find yours makes you drowsy?

Try eating a green apple if motion sick. The skin is the key, so don't peel it. I read about it on these boards, and it works!

I recommended it to a family whose little girl was very sick at breakfast one morning on a cruise a couple of years ago, and the next day at the pool she was playing and laughing. They thanked me and said that their cabin steward was keeping them supplied with the green apples!

Doreen

I just got back today from a Carnival cruise (not the stranded one thank goodness) and I wore the bands and they really helped. I did need something more so I went to the service desk to ask about Dramamine. They had it and charged me $3.29 for 2 packs which each had 2 pills in them. I was told to take one pill every 12 hours and they totally worked. I still kept the bands on as I was seasick the first night and didn't want that to happen again.

I can't believe RCI gives them free. Would have been nice.

Ginger tablets are good too - but start them a day or two ahead of time - if you don't get any, go to the jade section in the windjammer and ask one of the guys behind the food bar for a little ginger and they are most hospitable - our friend did this and it worked fine

Good luck, never been sea sick, even in a tail end of a hurricane on our first cruise - had the wrist bands, gravol - dramamine, but didn't need it, the motion made us sleep like babies:)

I have bonine, ginger capsules and some homeopathic/naturopathic remedies to bring onboard. One of the reasons we never took a cruise (ever), is because of my motion sickness, so I'm really being brave about our first cruise!

I tried the sea bands and they don't work for me, the patch was not recommended by my doctor (too many side effects).

Just wondering, does the ginger capsules, the green apple, bonine, etc, work for dizziness?

When people say motion sickness, I'm not sure if they mean nausea or dizziness? I get both.

When people say motion sickness, I'm not sure if they mean nausea or dizziness? I get both.

Motion sickness as referring to both! Since I was a child I always had a problem with motion sickness. Would get car sick easily! Same with canrival rides when I was young! I cannot do any of the 3D type rides that have motion without getting real sick (Like Star Wars at Disney or any type of motion ride at Universal).

I have taken 15 cruises. For the first time cruiser I honestly would recommend taking the Bonine. Don't take a chance that the other things won't work for you. Because if you start to get sea sick it is hard to stop it once it starts. It could put you down for the first night at sea!

Whether I take Bonine or Dramamine it does make me tired. One thing I also do is I always make sure I have some food in my stomach...apples or crackers or something. Don't sail on an empty stomach. I usually do first seating so I make sure I also eat bread while I am waiting for my meal. Especially that first sail away!

Prescription Scopolamine FTW!

I get motion sick snorkeling in rough water......

I get motion sick riding in the back seat while driving around Lake Tahoe.....

the patch WORKS! On our last cruise I stood on deck looking at the waves thinking "OMG this should be making me so sick right now...." and I felt great!

All packed and ready to go!!!

edit: word of warning - don't scratch it and then touch your eyes. It will dialate your pupils! Learned that the hard way LOL. (but it goes away of course)

Archived