Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

I didnt say that I was concerned they would open fire - jeez. However, I do think the "adventure" doesn't end once the ship is back in port. I think they have a long week ahead of them and actually today is probably ok compared to lugging all of your crap off a ship in Mexico and going onto a bus for potentially an all day ride back to your home port (which was Long Beach not San Diego). If I was elderly or traveling with kids, this would be a huge stress for me. Add into that the lack of security in Mexico and it is for sure an added concern.

I never have had concerns cruising to Mexico ever, but I would absolutely have concerns tracking across Baja in a bus. And you are wrong, this is exactly the situation the cartel would love to play into for press. They are terrorists and want nothing more than to incite fear. I would for sure be asking about security until they cross the border. And in addition to all the other issues these vacationers are facing this is just another added stress.

It definitely makes you think about the possibilities while on a ship when things go wrong.

As as side note - I think all of the crew members should be given some sort of added compensation or time off for what I am sure are very difficult circumstances for them as well.

why apprehensive?? Id be yippee, knowing it was under control and I was getting a free future cruise plus this experience .. the fire is out, things are moving along, why apprehensive now??

I agree. The ship that is sound & seaworthy, you have the closest Navy coming to assist along with, of all things, an aircraft carrier. The only people apprehensive about that are those that get apprehensive about everything; i.e. the woman who always worries that the oven is on, or makes sure her 5 year old has a cell phone at all times.

Even if the bars are closed, so long as the stewards don't lock the mini-bars it would be cruise as normal for me.

Maybe some were really looking forward to a cruise now and not the future:confused: Not really getting the vacationing for free thing:rolleyes:

In life you don't always get what you want. Sometimes you gotta make lemonaide out of lemons. I'd be enjoying the experience that's for sure

In my posts I have not been trying to downplay the seriousness of the incident as some people seem to think.

But the passengers can not change a single thing about the condition of the ship or the future plans for getting the passengers back into the US. The LUCKY passengers are the ones who are able to make the best of a bad situation. Of COURSE I'd want working toilets, and of course I'd want cold drinks and hot food, but if it isn't available, then I am the kind of person who could find some shread of entertainment in spite of everything that is going wrong. That doesn't mean I am downplaying the seriousness of the situation.

Well said.

I live in San Pedro, Belize. I am not comparing sitting on a ship, with being on an island. During Hurricane Richard We lost all power and water. We also had no phones or Internet.

While some people left the island, (not a option on a ship ) Most made the best of the situation. After notice was given that we would not get hit bad, A lot of folks headed to the beach bars. Without power or water we were able to find cold beer and water for two days. The bars still charged full price

I hope that Carnival is doing all they can to help people make the best out of a horrible situation. I am sure they are under an "Emergancy ". So Icand see them charging for anything.

Wow, how to people think that being stranded in close quarters with 3000+ people with no air, no water, no food except cans, small closet sized cabins and the headache/safety issues of Ensenada qualifies for a vacation???? Frankly the conditions are probably really gross and unhygenic (we all poop every day and there no way to flush it down and you are in that cabin smelling that for 3 days with no way to wash your hands and no air to vent it out -- HELLOOO!!!).

I wouldn't want to be on that ship if they PAID me. I would rather be in the comfort of my home or a hotel. Yes, we all need to make the best of any situation but there really is no best in this case. Just total misery for those poor folks until they finally get home.

Katherine

I feel bad for anyone traveling who is handicapped. I am taking my mom on her first cruise (Celebrity) in 5 weeks...she needs a scooter to get around. If there is no elevator service, she would be "stuck" on one floor and probably "stuck" in our cabin. She would not be able to charge her scooter so we would have to save the battery for when we arrived at Port.

I am sending positive thoughts to all these passengers and am hopeful conditions are livable and tolerable for the next day or so. I am glad no one was hurt in the fire. May they all make there way home, safe and sound. :)

I hear she has 3,500 passengers and looks like something I use to see come into port often in Oman from Australia. Lot of people on those big ships nowdays.:D

The ship is carrying 3,299 guests

why is everyone determined to say its 4000 and now 3500 and rounding up? why not say, almost 3500 etc? sounds to me like everyone wants it to be worse than it is.

Wow, how to people think that being stranded in close quarters with 3000+ people with no air, no water, no food except cans, small closet sized cabins and the headache/safety issues of Ensenada qualifies for a vacation???? Frankly the conditions are probably really gross and unhygenic (we all poop every day and there no way to flush it down and you are in that cabin smelling that for 3 days with no way to wash your hands and no air to vent it out -- HELLOOO!!!).

I wouldn't want to be on that ship if they PAID me. I would rather be in the comfort of my home or a hotel. Yes, we all need to make the best of any situation but there really is no best in this case. Just total misery for those poor folks until they finally get home.

Katherine

Let's see the toilets were out for about 15hours not 3 days. There is plenty of food plus an interesting sight just off the side of your boat. No misery at all. A very interesting experience for sure

Does anyone else find it strange that not one passenger has been able to make contact with the real world?

Nowadays with global phones, etc. it is somewhat of a surprise to me. Do you think Carnival can restrict the communications coming off the ship including phone and internet? It seems to me that people have there own mobile networks they travel with and can communicate at any time.

I find it even more surprising that one of our CC members hasnt made it online somehow to post their review at this point (lol).

It is amazing watching all the posts here. As I was reading one page, the last page kept moving to one higher number! I know we are all concerned for those aboard the ship. It is a mixed blessing that we have CC to keep informed and share thoughts. Having a cruise booked on this ship in January I have a "vested interest" of sorts but I also know it will be at least a week before any reliable news is out on ship repairs. I hope for all those aboard now they can get to Ensanada as soon as possible so this will come to an end for them. I love an adventure and would make the best of a bad situation but a dark and quiet ship, that is a different story. I am certain that having John on board as CD is a real blessing for the pax and Carnival. I for one can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics from those on board when they all are safely home!

I spoke with my fiance this morning (figures, he is away on a biz trip when this happens) and we both agreed that if we had our wedding scheduled for last Sunday instead of 12/19 we both would have looked at this an adventureous start to our married life and would try to enjoy the adventure! At least the wedding would have taken place already. Our only concerns about being on the boat would have been for his 91 year old mom and my 86 year old dad who are sailing with us...along with other family memebers. My kids are in the 20's, as are his and as long as they had cocktails (we pre-order from Bon Voyage) they would be fine. My dad would probably have no problems as he cruises 3 times a year and would enjoy this one being a freebie, along with a future one. But since our wedding hasn't happened yet and until the damage/repairs are know, I don't know to keep the plans as they are, or find that plan B.

Sure hope Carnival contacts me ASAP if we have to make alternative arrangements!

Count me in that group who would LOVE to be on that ship right now! Don't get me wrong, the no toilets, etc. would suck, and it would be hard for people onboard with kids or the elderly, etc. I'm just saying that for ME personally, i would be thrilled to be a part of an adventure....now...i HAVE been on 11 cruises, and I can certainly understand how disappointed people would be who are on their first cruise, etc....but for me....i would be outside, watching all the goings-on...and making the best of it...:)

Count me in! I would have been scared in the beginning but after that i would have found a nice spot to read.

I think I see both points. My husband and I would make the best of it and I love a good story, especially a unique one. Once the toilets were fixed as long as edible food and water were available and I wasn't worried about the state of the ship I think it wouldn't be as bad (the no a/c would be an issue, but I can always cold shower...)

However, it wouldn't be a vacation exactly. My inlaws who usually cruise with us would be another story. My father in law walks with a cane and can't climb steps. I don't even know how we would have gotten him up the ship at 6 AM. It would have been really, really hard for them. Both take medicine and let's face it, are elderly and it would be a hard thing for them.

My son who is 10 would probably go back and forth about enjoying it and telling the story.

I think about people who might have medical conditions that the loss of refrigeration would be a problem (some diabetics), or who are mobility disabled/challenged (as in the previous poster's mother) or children who might be scared or adults who might have anxiety disorders. Can you imagine having obsessive compulsive disorder during this time? Even if well managed it would make it harder.

I am sure the stories will be mixed but no matter what I think we need to side with the passengers and the majority of the non officer crew on the fact this probably is pretty bad. And while making the best is relative, even the best of this situation could be really horrible for lots of people on board.

Count me in that group who would LOVE to be on that ship right now! Don't get me wrong, the no toilets, etc. would suck, and it would be hard for people onboard with kids or the elderly, etc. I'm just saying that for ME personally, i would be thrilled to be a part of an adventure....now...i HAVE been on 11 cruises, and I can certainly understand how disappointed people would be who are on their first cruise, etc....but for me....i would be outside, watching all the goings-on...and making the best of it...:)

I's be right next to you. ;)

Katherine

I thought I read where they had food and water and flushing toilets????

Given their distance from shore you would need a satellite grade phone, not a normal cell. Unless you find yourself far away from civilization on a regular basis you are not going to have one (service fees start at around $300 per month).

Also, at this point, options to charge phones are probably limited as well and I am certain wifi is down.

So not, not strange.

Does anyone else find it strange that not one passenger has been able to make contact with the real world?

Nowadays with global phones, etc. it is somewhat of a surprise to me. Do you think Carnival can restrict the communications coming off the ship including phone and internet? It seems to me that people have there own mobile networks they travel with and can communicate at any time.

I find it even more surprising that one of our CC members hasnt made it online somehow to post their review at this point (lol).

Cell phones require cell phone service from towers. On board cell towers require electricity. The internet routers and modems also require electricity.

It's quite possible that the captain has determined the little power they are able to generate should be used for toilets and running water. Outside communication is probably somewhere down the wish list, I'd put it after ovens and hot water.

Unless someone on board happens to have a fully charged satellite phone, which is normally only carried by people on trips to places with no services, the public won't have outside access to the world.

While I could certainly appreciate the adventure of this for a while, the bloom would soon be off that rose, and frustration would set in. Me thinks this is the 'easy' part of this journey and even the hard-core enthusiasts will have their last nerve tested before this is over (they'll just handle it better).

I think the biggest restraint is limited access to power. Only essential systems are operational at this point, from what I have read.

They covered this on the Princess UST and I am sure the Splendor is similar in this respect. The Medical bay is one of the places that receives emergency power and has battery backups and they have plenty of space for med storage. In the event of an emergency, medical staff will store the meds and if needed deliver them at dosage times.

I think I see both points. My husband and I would make the best of it and I love a good story, especially a unique one. Once the toilets were fixed as long as edible food and water were available and I wasn't worried about the state of the ship I think it wouldn't be as bad (the no a/c would be an issue, but I can always cold shower...)

However, it wouldn't be a vacation exactly. My inlaws who usually cruise with us would be another story. My father in law walks with a cane and can't climb steps. I don't even know how we would have gotten him up the ship at 6 AM. It would have been really, really hard for them. Both take medicine and let's face it, are elderly and it would be a hard thing for them.

My son who is 10 would probably go back and forth about enjoying it and telling the story.

I think about people who might have medical conditions that the loss of refrigeration would be a problem (some diabetics), or who are mobility disabled/challenged (as in the previous poster's mother) or children who might be scared or adults who might have anxiety disorders. Can you imagine having obsessive compulsive disorder during this time? Even if well managed it would make it harder.

I am sure the stories will be mixed but no matter what I think we need to side with the passengers and the majority of the non officer crew on the fact this probably is pretty bad. And while making the best is relative, even the best of this situation could be really horrible for lots of people on board.

Archived