Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

I go thru the border many times a week. The trip on a bus requires little wait. They

will probably go thru Otay Mesa. I would think Carnival has made arrangements that

will speed up the process. Paying overtime for more ICE officers, advance notice that

there will be 3000 plus pax. The real problem will be getting enough buses. There are

many in Tijuana and Ensenada but they will still have to bring some from San Diego.

Ensenada handles large cruise ships every week, they will have no problem with this one.

They have at least 24 hrs notice.

Depending on who and what you are listening to/watching or reading they are anywhere from 50 to 80 miles off the Mexican Coast. I do not believe, note this is my own opinion, that tenders can do a 100 to 120 mile round trip...

Joanie

And i personally would not want to BE on a tender for that long...:eek::D

Wow, how to people think that being stranded in close quarters with 3000+ people with no air, no water, no food except cans, small closet sized cabins and the headache/safety issues of Ensenada qualifies for a vacation???? Frankly the conditions are probably really gross and unhygenic (we all poop every day and there no way to flush it down and you are in that cabin smelling that for 3 days with no way to wash your hands and no air to vent it out -- HELLOOO!!!).

I wouldn't want to be on that ship if they PAID me. I would rather be in the comfort of my home or a hotel. Yes, we all need to make the best of any situation but there really is no best in this case. Just total misery for those poor folks until they finally get home.

Katherine

I'm enjoying my popcorn with this thread.

I just love it....people who complain about things like....the food was too cold...the meat was too tough....the waiter didn't know my name....I didn't get my animal towel....someone wore a t-shirt in the MDR....there are too many chair hogs...someone touched a roll with his bare hands in the buffet....are now these "armchair heroes"....wishing they were on board!

Yeah...it's real easy to enjoy stuff when you're reading about it in the comfort of your home. It's rather different when it's your long planned annual vacation......running up to the Lido Deck @ 6AM. Those people are so lucky that it wasn't worse. And I'm sure there will be a lot of praying going on until they step foot on "American terra firma".

I'm enjoying my popcorn with this thread.

I just love it....people who complain about things like....the food was too cold...the meat was too tough....the waiter didn't know my name....I didn't get my animal towel....someone wore a t-shirt in the MDR....there are too many chair hogs...someone touched a roll with his bare hands in the buffet....are now these "armchair heroes"....wishing they were on board!

Yeah...it's real easy to enjoy stuff when you're reading about it in the comfort of your home. It's rather different when it's your long planned annual vacation......running up to the Lido Deck @ 6AM. Those people are so lucky that it wasn't worse. And I'm sure there will be a lot of praying going on until they step foot on "American terra firma".

Totally agree.

I just can't picture this situation being anything but a nightmare.

I never have had concerns cruising to Mexico ever, but I would absolutely have concerns tracking across Baja in a bus. And you are wrong, this is exactly the situation the cartel would love to play into for press. They are terrorists and want nothing more than to incite fear. I would for sure be asking about security until they cross the border. And in addition to all the other issues these vacationers are facing this is just another added stress.

It definitely makes you think about the possibilities while on a ship when things go wrong.

This is silly. I live 45 minutes north of Ensenada and there has been little or no cartel violence in northern Baja, except in Tijuana. Further, the cartels are fighting against each other for control, not terrorism! No tourists or foreign residents have been affected at all. Ever.

Ensenada has a nice port; it is the jump off port for a Carnival RT to Hawaii. To do that, they bus passengers back and forth from San Diego... happens all the time. This is a bonanza for the charter companies, who will take passengers from Ensenada, along the beautiful Pacific Ocean coastal highway in northern Baja back to Long Beach.

The Paradise returns friday morning. Either the Splendor or Paradise may have to go to San Pedro or S.D.:confused:

i think they will try to fix the engine so the ship can travel on its own in mexcio before it sails back to long beach or another port. Towing is expensive and very slow

Anyone that has been through a hurricane has been through a similar situation. When Ike hit Galveston/Houston two years ago we were without power for over a week. We did still have a roof over our heads, but ate out of cans and bottled water. IF you had gas in your car (we did) it took forever to get anywhere because of all of the traffic lights being out. So while I can empathize with the passengers, I know that we would have been able to handle it.

We were hit with winds from Ike in 2008. Lost all power for 5 days. We're on well water, so we didn't even have water to flush the toilets! We were scooping buckets of water from the pool & filling the toilet tank to flush. We were fortunate enough to have a few cases of water to drink because we'd recently been to Sams. We ate a lot of peanut butter that week & grilled up what we could out of the freezer. The city got power back before we did, so we could then go out to eat, although then the restaurants had to get restocked. It wasn't the most fun, but we survived. Not sure if it would be better or worse to be stuck out on the ocean. Better to have someone else worrying about the food & water. Worse to be stuck in one place.

How do you think they'll be handling all those passengers crossing the border with only birth certificates? This is one situation it pays to have a passport.

Excellent point.....

The next time someone boldly exclaims that it's better to save a few $$$ to avoid the cost of a passport....this situation should be pointed out.

I'm wondering....do you think the safes are working? They are electrically powered...right? That's where my passport would be...... Oy!

This is silly. I live 45 minutes north of Ensenada and there has been little or no cartel violence in northern Baja, except in Tijuana. Further, the cartels are fighting against each other for control, not terrorism! No tourists or foreign residents have been affected at all. Ever.

Not Baja, but

An American college student majoring in business was shot to death in

Ciudad Juarez, becoming the fifth U.S. citizen to be killed in the violent border city in less than a week.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/11/04/2010-11-04_us_college_student_eder_diaz_killed_in_in_ciudad_juarez_mexico_5th_american_deat.html?r=news/national

Does anyone else find it strange that not one passenger has been able to make contact with the real world?

Nowadays with global phones, etc. it is somewhat of a surprise to me. Do you think Carnival can restrict the communications coming off the ship including phone and internet? It seems to me that people have there own mobile networks they travel with and can communicate at any time.

I find it even more surprising that one of our CC members hasnt made it online somehow to post their review at this point (lol).

Where do you think they have towers in the middle of the ocean?

And how often do you use your computer at home when there's no power, or your PC is unplugged?

Excellent point.....

The next time someone boldly exclaims that it's better to save a few $$$ to avoid the cost of a passport....this situation should be pointed out.

I'm wondering....do you think the safes are working? They are electrically powered...right? That's where my passport would be...... Oy!

Good point on the safes. I do think they'll be able to plug into shore power once they hit ensenada though.

Ensenada has a nice port; it is the jump off port for a Carnival RT to Hawaii. To do that, they bus passengers back and forth from San Diego... happens all the time. This is a bonanza for the charter companies, who will take passengers from Ensenada, along the beautiful Pacific Ocean coastal highway in northern Baja back to Long Beach.

I dont think there are issues in Baja - I think the major problem areas are border towns. And I dont think it is ridiculous to be concerned especially since there are travel alerts specifically for this reason. And you are wrong - there have have americans killed in Tijuana in the last couple of years. They were kids traveling over the border to party - but killed nonetheless.

I am not slamming Mexico - I love Mexico and have spent alot of time all over the country my entire life. But I do think right now it is a valid concern coming back across the border. That is all I was saying.

Archived