Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Well I guess I am another (@*&^(*%&^*% idiot posting questions on a message board....Thank you for all of your infinite wisdom.

I don't find you a whatever you said, since many ships are equipped for cell phone service so it isn't a stupid question. The ship we were just on was equipped for Verizon Wireless at 2.49 a minute for cell phones. Haven't checked Carnival's.

I don't wish to be an alarmist but I am really surprised that Carnival is not pressing all of their west coast fleet into service to pick up passengers in Ensenada for disembarkation in Long Beach.

I would want to know how tight security will be for the caravans of buses that will be headed to the U.S. I'm not thinking illegal aliens - but more drug cartels who are beyond out and out war with not only each other but the Mexican government as well.

Cruising attractive beach resort ports on the western coast just ain't the same as being an attractive target in the middle of no man's land in the desert.

I really don't mean to sound alarmist -- but the hairs on the back of my head are standing up as I had been considering this very cruise again for summer of 2011 with my nieces.

Carnival -- are you listening???

lol. Are you serious? Take their west coast fleet and transfer the Splendor's passengers disrupting every ship on the west coast? Is Carnival to comp every passenger on the west coast in all ships?

That would truly be a nightmare. The Splendor's passengers will be fine being bused from Encinada. They do it all the time. It's Mexico, not Afghanistan.

I don't find you a whatever you said, since many ships are equipped for cell phone service so it isn't a stupid question. The ship we were just on was equipped for Verizon Wireless at 2.49 a minute for cell phones. Haven't checked Carnival's.

Do those MANY SHIPS have power? :rolleyes:

I don't wish to be an alarmist but I am really surprised that Carnival is not pressing all of their west coast fleet into service to pick up passengers in Ensenada for disembarkation in Long Beach.

I would want to know how tight security will be for the caravans of buses that will be headed to the U.S. I'm not thinking illegal aliens - but more drug cartels who are beyond out and out war with not only each other but the Mexican government as well.

Cruising attractive beach resort ports on the western coast just ain't the same as being an attractive target in the middle of no man's land in the desert.

I really don't mean to sound alarmist -- but the hairs on the back of my head are standing up as I had been considering this very cruise again for summer of 2011 with my nieces.

Carnival -- are you listening???

Today the Paradise is in Catalina. Tomorrow it will be in Ensenada. What would Carnival do with 5,000 passengers on a ship designed for 2,000 passengers?

The Spirit is in Manzanillo today. Tomorrow it starts heading back to San Diego. Same question, how would a ship designed for 2,100 handle 5,000?

lol.

That would truly be a nightmare. The Splendor's passengers will be fine being bused from Encinada. They do it all the time. It's Mexico, not Afghanistan.

That made me laugh out loud....need to clean my screen of coffee now!

LOL

You know I love this board because I get all kinds of amazing information. I like to consider myself somewhat of resourceful person who may not have all the answers but I am thankful for a place like this when I do have questions.

It is beyond me why people use a travel forum to slam other people, be sarcastic, insulting and not only bully and put people down but treat them like they are stupid because they didnt have the answer in the first place. I didnt know you had to be exactly 55 MILES from a cell phone tower.

All I know is that I have been out in the middle of the ocean before and damn if I am not getting emails from work on my Blackberry. Hense the question and the fact that I do think it is surprising that not one little blip of information has come thru from a passenger on the Splendor in this day and age and it is a reminder of the fact that these people are stranded out in the middle of the ocean, hours from help.

I am one that believes ANY QUESTION is a GOOD question. Half the fun is finding out the answer.....or perhaps being SCOLDED the answer from a fellow CC member...

All this talk about passports, seriously does anyone really think in this type of situation the U.S. citizens won't be allowed to return home? I have a passport BTW but there are so many posts about passports on this thread and they should have gotten one instead of thinking about how the passengers are coping with this situation and how you would cope. We can sit here all cozy and think we would be fine but realistically do you think last night was pretty for them?

I imagine that it will be a mad panic to get off the ship. Everyone will have to pack up their belongings and get ready to disembark without AC or elevators. It will be hard on some people with physical limitations. I just hope that everyone stays calm and cooperates. There will be complainers, but I hope they wait to do that once they get home, and not incite others into a panic. The whole situation is bad enough without some loudmouth voicing his/her useless opinions.

They should do a deck by deck with no cutting. period. just like you were in school, to get everyone out safely. There would be more than enough staff to help with peoples luggage. Now if everyone crowds in and acts stupid it will cause a problem. Everyone will get off the ship. They need to be nice to one another this time.

lol. Are you serious? Take their west coast fleet and transfer the Splendor's passengers disrupting every ship on the west coast? Is Carnival to comp every passenger on the west coast in all ships?

Totally agree.

The Paradise returns friday morning. Either the Splendor or Paradise may have to go to San Pedro or S.D.:confused:

Carbival has used San Pedro many times in the past and I'm booked on Spirit from San Pedro next December for a Hawaii cruise.

It is true, most ships do offer cell phone service - when they have electricity to spare. Not when they are running on emergency power.

All this talk about passports, seriously does anyone really think in this type of situation the U.S. citizens won't be allowed to return home? I have a passport BTW but there are so many posts about passports on this thread and they should have gotten one instead of thinking about how the passengers are coping with this situation and how you would cope. We can sit here all cozy and think we would be fine but realistically do you think last night was pretty for them?

Passports will be a non issue......just lucky they are not going thru the border on a Sunday......now that would be a real nightmare.........

They should do a deck by deck with no cutting. period. just like you were in school, to get everyone out safely. There would be more than enough staff to help with peoples luggage. Now if everyone crowds in and acts stupid it will cause a problem. Everyone will get off the ship. They need to be nice to one another this time.

ROFLMAO!!! In a perfect world:D

LOL

You know I love this board because I get all kinds of amazing information. I like to consider myself somewhat of resourceful person who may not have all the answers but I am thankful for a place like this when I do have questions.

It is beyond me why people use a travel forum to slam other people, be sarcastic, insulting and not only bully and put people down but treat them like they are stupid because they didnt have the answer in the first place. I didnt know you had to be exactly 55 MILES from a cell phone tower.

All I know is that I have been out in the middle of the ocean before and damn if I am not getting emails from work on my Blackberry. Hense the question and the fact that I do think it is surprising that not one little blip of information has come thru from a passenger on the Splendor in this day and age and it is a reminder of the fact that these people are stranded out in the middle of the ocean, hours from help.

I am one that believes ANY QUESTION is a GOOD question. Half the fun is finding out the answer.....or perhaps being SCOLDED the answer from a fellow CC member...

Your question was valid, no harm no foul

There is a group of magic afftionados on board this week. I imagine they have been pressed into service by John to help keep the pax entertained.

If so, they are probably brushing up on their disappearing tricks.

All this talk about passports, seriously does anyone really think in this type of situation the U.S. citizens won't be allowed to return home?

Of course they will be allowed in. There will just be a delay. Of how long, I don't know. But there is a reason for having a passport, and it is not just so the government can get a picture of you.

I imagine that it will be a mad panic to get off the ship. Everyone will have to pack up their belongings and get ready to disembark without AC or elevators. It will be hard on some people with physical limitations. I just hope that everyone stays calm and cooperates. There will be complainers, but I hope they wait to do that once they get home, and not incite others into a panic. The whole situation is bad enough without some loudmouth voicing his/her useless opinions.

Sorry if this has been answered but are the elevators considered the 'bare minimum' of power? In other words, with the elevators be working when all of these poor people try to lug their baggage out?

Of course they will be allowed in. There will just be a delay. Of how long, I don't know. But there is a reason for having a passport, and it is not just so the government can get a picture of you.

I doubt there will even be a delay. They will have no problem getting across the border.

Sorry if this has been answered but are the elevators considered the 'bare minimum' of power? In other words, with the elevators be working when all of these poor people try to lug their baggage out?

mostly likely, by law (think ADA) they are required to have atleast one elevator hooked up so disabled passengers can use them in a case of emergency when there is no main power

Archived