Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

I dont think there are issues in Baja - I think the major problem areas are border towns. And I dont think it is ridiculous to be concerned especially since there are travel alerts specifically for this reason. And you are wrong - there have have americans killed in Tijuana in the last couple of years. They were kids traveling over the border to party - but killed nonetheless.

I am not slamming Mexico - I love Mexico and have spent alot of time all over the country my entire life. But I do think right now it is a valid concern coming back across the border. That is all I was saying.

Having personally read and watched local media reports, both US from San Diego and Mexican, and involved in discussions with officials in Baja, there have been NO innocent students killed or injured... certainly none by drug cartel violence. Sorry, but I live here, and I am not wrong. The only "Americans" who have been killed were binational (Mexican-Americans) with criminal records and involved in drug deals gone bad, or in crime-ridden areas far away from the typical business/tourist locales. This never makes the first reports, and is never corrected when reported.

The State Department travel alerts specifically note that northern Baja is not called out for concern, save perhaps Tijuana, and even there notes that if you stay in business and tourist areas, you are in no more danger than most international cities.

You can't say you "don't think there are issues in Baja" and then go on that there is a "valid concern about crossing the border." It is still silly. Sorry, I'm not trying to jump on you, I only need to point out a common misunderstanding that is a discredit to the region.

The Tijuana/San Ysidro is the busiest border crossing in the world in sheer numbers, and millions every year cross without incident. There is a very large foreign community living in this area, one of the largest concentrations in Mexico. We live here safely and without incident. It's a long ways from Juarez, so please be fair. ;)

I am booked on the January 9th sailing on the Splendor. I called today to see if I could switch to the Dream leaving on the 8th. My PVP said the Splendor would be repaired in 1-2 weeks tops. I asked him "Are you sure?". He said, "Let me check and call you back". He did and when he called back said that he was 100% certain that the Splendor would be fixed within 2 weeks. Now I don't know who he spoke to or if this is just Carnival's plan to control the public panic but thought I'd share that with you.

I hope you are right. I am going down there with my company to get guests on buses and drive them back to Long Beach. We have to bring our passports.

Hey Cin! Harold told me you were headed down there to help with debarkation... I don't envy you dealing with that particular group of passengers!!! Wishing you calm and peace; be sure to tell us all about it when you get back.

Then call it on me. Id be one who would enjoy what was going on.

I think it might depend somewhat on how much you cruise. If you are doing half a dozen cruises a year or even more, something out of the ordinary can be fun. ... as long as I wasnt in harms way or my stuff.

I agree. For me it would also depend on my travel party - if I was solo or with my husband, I think I would find it at least interesting, if not downright enjoyable as an adventure. If I was with my kids, it would be much more stressful.

Update on Carnival Splendor

Posted on 08 November 2010

Miami, FL — November 9, 2010 (8:15 pm EST) — At approximately 6 am Monday morning (U.S. Pacific Standard Time), a fire was detected in the aft engine room aboard the cruise ship Carnival Splendor. The fire was extinguished. There were no injuries to guests or crew.

The ship has been operating on auxiliary generators and engineers have been unable to restore additional power to the vessel. Thus far, one tug boat has reached the ship and has begun towing with additional tugs en route to expedite the vessel’s return.

Given the ship’s speed and current position, we have decided to take the vessel to San Diego where it is expected to arrive late Thursday. Additionally, we are in the process of making all the necessary hotel and flight arrangements for our guests. If the ship is unable to maintain sufficient speed under tow, it is possible that we could revert to the previous plan and dock in Ensenada.

wow, nice.. Better idea. I guess that night departure was a bit scary for them with all of the talk about how mexico is bad

I agree with you fully, and I think all of them should get a huge bonus in their paychecks from Carnival. The reason that I say this, is because the crew will not worry about themselves, their first concern will be to make sure the passengers are happy. They should also be compensated for the deplorable conditions that they will have to suffer in their cabins with no A/C to circulate the air.

Hat's off to the crew from the Captain down to even the newest member of the crew.

Bonus??? There are a lot of crew (those depending on passenger tips and sales commision) who will be getting a lot less then normal! They'll get to live on their $50 a month "salary".... As bad as conditions are for the passengers, they're much worse for the crew. No AC on deck 4 is bad..... it's really bad on Deck's A & B...

I just watched a news interview with a Naval officer about the Navy relief effort. He said that the challenge will be getting the supplies from the helicopters onto the Splendor. He pointed out that the ship is not designed for such activity and has no landing pad or unobstructed open area to land a helicopter. And were talking about 70,000 tons of supplies. And in my opinion they won't try during darkness as it is too risky. So the supply effort really won't get under way until tomorrow. The report also said that it will take about 24 hours to tow the ship to Ensenada so earliest could be Wed. evening if all goes well.

Well, they probably should not come back to Long Beach/LA, I am sure there has been at least one murder there as well......

Jen in SoCal

Granted it's not the same area of the border...but that guy on his jet ski got shot and killed not too long ago.....

I just watched a news interview with a Naval officer about the Navy relief effort. He said that the challenge will be getting the supplies from the helicopters onto the Splendor. He pointed out that the ship is not designed for such activity and has no landing pad or unobstructed open area to land a helicopter. And were talking about 70,000 tons of supplies. And in my opinion they won't try during darkness as it is too risky. So the supply effort really won't get under way until tomorrow. The report also said that it will take about 24 hours to tow the ship to Ensenada so earliest could be Wed. evening if all goes well.

I was thinking, maybe drain the lido pool (since the filters aren't working anyway, and lower the pallets there?

It's going to result in another overnight on the ship, BUT it will be much easier to get home from there, and is probably the better option as it avoids documentation problems, plus has access to more hotels, air options, etc..

It looks like it would take around 12-18 hours for the additional distance, based on how long it would have taken to go to Ensenada.

So it's heading to San Diego now?

Could a math whiz work out the distance and the difference between this and plan B?

I had the same idea actually, but then I realized three things. 1> Probably no power for pool pumps. 2> If the ship rocks the pallets could puncture the pool sides and 3> They would then have to lift all the items OUT of the pool before the next pallet drop.

I was thinking, maybe drain the lido pool (since the filters aren't working anyway, and lower the pallets there?

I think that they will be making an exception for them in this case.

They boarded what is considered a closed loop cruise. This will be about 50 to 60 buses if you figure 50 people per bus. Not sure what the capacity will be. I wonder if they will get to stop somewhere for lunch on the way back.

It's only a 45-60 min drive from Ensenada to the border. If they don't get back in port til late it will be late when they cross the border. maybe even after midnight. which actually may make it better.

I actually think this would be a fascinating experience. Yes, it would mean visiting none of the planned ports and the loss of vacation time... but there will be other vacations.

I think that, especially since there is no danger, and since the sewage issue is addressed, that eating cold food and drinking water is not so bad.

Plus, the experience of just quietly floating along, seeing sights you can't normally see at 18 knots, and seeing the Navy and Coast Guard operations nearby, and the tugs, would all just fascinate me.

I am a fan of camping out. I don't need much more on vacation than the very basics (food, water, and space.) So I know I would be most content on that ship.

I'm sure others will disagree, but I really wish I would have been on that cruise!!!

Actually I am one to agree with you. I would still have a good time only because I have been in worse situations. Plus it would be a good story to tell later in life.

Dave

Officially, an 'enhanced' driver's license is acceptable, but as far as I know no states have been certified as such.

Your sister was lucky, she could have (and should have) been held for additional verification. If there are only a few people, and your state keeps on line information up to date, validation can just take a few moments, but with the number of potential people in this situation, I think the chaos factor will expand that.

there are a few states that have enhanced dl and I believe that here in calif. they are starting that because my husband got a new pic and all in oct for his dl and he still hasn't gotten it yet.

I can get the website for enhanced dl if you want.only maybe 7 states doing it so far.

I don't understand your point in the validation area. Do you think they have computer terminals at the border crossing? not!

So it's heading to San Diego now?

Could a math whiz work out the distance and the difference between this and plan B?

Disclaimer: THESE ARE ESTIMATES!

If they are say 30 miles WSW of Ensenada, they would be approximately 66 nm from the San Diego pilot station. Hard to determine exact position as they are outside of AIS coverage.

Worse case, this about an 18-20 hour tow up to San Diego.

Craig

MKE

As bad as conditions are for the passengers, they're much worse for the crew. No AC on deck 4 is bad..... it's really bad on Deck's A & B...

Really? How? It's only 62 degrees outside and there are now no heat sources in the ship, so I can't see why you say that? Stuffy, maybe..but hot? very doubtful.

Archived