Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

:mad:Watching Fox11(Los Angeles) news last night and they had an attorney on talking about lawsuits he does against ship company's. They were asking him if he thinks passengers have a case to sue! Talk about fanning a fire. He was basically doing a commercial for himself. Disgusting! And shame on the news channel.

Just as an aside, I love Fox News. However, I have been glued to this thread and several links thanks to you here, so I've been able to keep abreast of what is happening throughout the last 2 days.

This morning I had to set my husband straight because FOX news reported that, according to him(hubby), the USS Reagan was towing the Splendor, and more.... I also showed him photos of the helicopters lifting pallets of food off the Reagan and the Splendor off in the distance...

I then showed him the AIS which shows now that Splendor appears to be heading directly towards Ensenada instead of San Diego.

My local ABC station was reporting the same as FOX news this morning:( Seems to me these people are more for the scare than for reality and the truth....:rolleyes:

Joanie

Now on Marine Traffic things have gotten quite interesting. She's sped up to 6.6 knots, and took a hard turn towards land about a half hour ago, and looks like to be heading straight towards Ensenada or is going to turn again to keep the ship close to land while heading up to San Diego.

This may be a wierd question, but will the entire staff remain on the ship while it is being towed to whatever port for repairs? Will they, then, have to be without real food, A/C, etc. for another 4-5 days while the ship is being towed? I realize that many essential crew members would have to stay onboard, but what about shop clerks, bartenders, kid's staff, etc. ? It would certainly seem that this additional time during the towing process could be detrimental to their health. I haven't heard anything about the crew being taken off. If some crew is taken off and bused back to San Diego or wherever, where are they to stay for the period of time until the ship is back in order and sailing again?

Amy

I have great memories of my cruise on the Splendor in 2009. I was on the sea bottom helmet diving in Cabo when a storm hit, the Splendor left for deeper water, kite skiers were falling out of the sky...fun time for all.

I like the idea of making a sail from the bedsheets to sail the ship to port, the U.S.S. Intrepid made sails and sailed into Pearl once that way in WW2. But the Splendid has no rudder, it steers by lateral propulsion. I've been to the engine control room on a behind the fun tour, the first given on the Splendor. There'll be a lot of electronics cooked in there.

7.1 knots now. I was under the impression that they weren't going to go that fast.

Sounds like the US tugs have now arrived and hooked up to her. According to the Press Conference with Commander Hicks, there were going to be 4 tugs on her, 2 US and 2 Mexican.

Joanie

I just received a call from my wife who is on the ship. She said "This is a cruise from HELL!"

So for those of you that would rather be there, than at work, you need to throw away your crack pipes.

She said there is no light in her cabin, toilet only got restored yesterday and stinks beyond belief. People are hoarding food, taking platefuls.

The one tug that was pulling them just lost an engine, so they are going even slower.

She had no idea that we knew everything that was going on regarding the USS Reagan, tugs, etc.

I would have asked more but she needs to conserve her cell battery because there is no where to plug in for power.

You must be so relieved to have heard from your wife! I'm glad she is safe and was able to call you. Thanks for the update. I pray she and the others arrive on land quickly. I can't believe there is only 1 tug (and with a blown engine at that)! Sigh. :confused:

I am not going to say I would be enjoying myself, but I do believe I would be coping well , esp if I was cruising with my daughter. My husband and I realize that we are fortunate to be able to take time off whenever we please - we are both self employed(different businesses) and that many other people only get 2 or 3 weeks a year vacation time, for these individuals I feel bad that vacation has been ruined. Keeping things in perspective this is only 5 days of your life, millions live in worse conditions every day and no one died or was even injured that we are aware of. So this too shall pass.

Well said!!! If i were on that ship, while i would HATE eating cold spam, i would be making the best of a difficult situation...i would be on my balcony, taking pictures of the aircraft carrier, etc. I would consider it an an adventure...now...if i had my 6 year old grandson with me, that would make it different....no tv...etc....but I know he would love eating poptarts!:D:rolleyes:

Hopefully for safety reasons they keep her close to land while they head up to San Diego. If anything does wrong, atleast the tugs or the USCG dont have to travel that far

yes, or perhaps also the sea conditions are better (less current).

And of course, to get the disabled ship out of the shipping lanes...

(similar to pulling over to the shoulder of the road when you have car trouble).

MSNBC just reported the passengers will face "a 2 hour bus ride" from Ensenada to Long Beach. Wow, that's gonna be some fast bus!

So she is heading towards Ensenada according to that.

I have a stupid dumb question, the Paradise just arrived at Ensenada about a half hour ago, will she be on her way before the Spendor gets there?

If not, can Ensenada handle both the Paradise and the Splendor? (I've never been to the Mexican Riviera before).

I just received a call from my wife who is on the ship. She said "This is a cruise from HELL!"

So for those of you that would rather be there, than at work, you need to throw away your crack pipes.

She said there is no light in her cabin, toilet only got restored yesterday and stinks beyond belief. People are hoarding food, taking platefuls.

The one tug that was pulling them just lost an engine, so they are going even slower.

She had no idea that we knew everything that was going on regarding the USS Reagan, tugs, etc.

I would have asked more but she needs to conserve her cell battery because there is no where to plug in for power.

First I am so glad that no one was hurt, injured and all appear to be safe and sound physically.

As to the smell of the potties, I can soooooooooooo sympathize.

Many years of Boy Scouting camping and being the only female on many trips. My nose instantly went back to the smell of all the out houses I suffered having as the facilities. :eek: I will not say it was pleasant or I enjoyed that part of the camping trip, but one did get use to it, and you did what you had to do.

Yes, many of us would not mind the things that would be happening on this cruise, but for many this will be a life changing experience.

So, I hope that when all is said and done and everyone is home safe, they can put this experience into where they need to have it for a happy and peaceful life.

Nancy

Me (and my crackpipe) would SOOO be on that ship in the heartbeat.

We love adventure and this is a free SAFE one that folks will get to talk about for years.

No toilets for 12 hours, no fancy food, no hot water for a couple of days and a safe adventure PLUS a free 7 day cruise....sign me up any time !!!

Sheesh. Why does everything on the CCL boards have to turn in to a CCL vs RCI thing? With the exception of one ignorant comment, even the folks on the RCI board aren't badmouthing CCL over this. :rolleyes:

The Carnival bash expert might check some ship history, we were on the RCCL Splendour when it experienced a fire off the coast of Galveston.

So she is heading towards Ensenada according to that.

I have a stupid dumb question, the Paradise just arrived at Ensenada about a half hour ago, will she be on her way before the Spendor gets there?

If not, can Ensenada handle both the Paradise and the Splendor? (I've never been to the Mexican Riviera before).

Paradise will be long gone by then. Currently at present speed the Splendor is 12 hours away.

No, I wasn't suggesting that! Just that they are being very quiet and hoping the media don't notice. I wouldn't expect it to be top story on the BBC news but it is worthy of a few column inches somewhere (although when Princess had their fire a few years back the BBC ran with it). I just think they are maintaining a media silence. If it was happening in UK waters it would be a huge story.

Have you ever sailed on Carnival? Would you?? I think it is a little rude to presume that Carnival is trying to keep the story hush hush...

Archived