Immunizations-did you or did you not?

Sir_Randy

I have read that some recommend getting immunizations for Hep A & B and a few other immunizations. I do not think I have ever has any of these shots except for tetnus.

Curious how many get shots before going on a cruise to Europe/Middle East?

You need to ask your practice nurse for up to date information....they will have your medical records, and know if you're especially vulnerable.

Our practice did mention that we were less vulnerable, being on a cruise ship, but suggested several, some of which last for years, so are good for other regions.

Ask the professionals!

Jo.

I have an excellent travel clinic near my office, and consulted them, as well as the CDC web site, before our visit to Egypt earlier this year on our Med cruise. Based on their advice, I got Hep A and typhoid vaccinations (and of course I made sure my tetanus was up to date). Frankly, having the Hep A vaccine is pretty much a good idea here in the U.S. And it's good for 20 years (if you get the booster, as I did), so I'm covered for a good long while. Might as well be safe. :)

Based on this page and a discussion with our doctor, we decided to get immunized for Hepatitis A, Typhoid, and we got our Tetanus/Diptheria boosters.

We also got Hep B and will be getting yellow fever for upcoming Brazil.

We travel all over the world so always get vaccinated for whatever we can. You just can't be too careful.

I have an excellent travel clinic near my office, and consulted them, as well as the CDC web site, before our visit to Egypt earlier this year on our Med cruise. Based on their advice, I got Hep A and typhoid vaccinations (and of course I made sure my tetanus was up to date). Frankly, having the Hep A vaccine is pretty much a good idea here in the U.S. And it's good for 20 years (if you get the booster, as I did), so I'm covered for a good long while. Might as well be safe. :)

Our travel MD said basicaly the same for Egypt and Jordan. He also recommended a measles and polio booster since we were doing a 14 day land tour as well as the cruises. And you're absolutely right abut Hep A...even in the US and other more modern countries, you never know where the person who's handling your food in the kitchen comes from or more importantly if he/she seriously washes hands the way they are supposed to. We were told we could skip Hep B unless we were actually living or working and would be interacting on a close level with the local population. Basically we got Hep A, tetanus, typhoid, polio booster and shingles (needed it anyway) and had ZERO reaction to anything. A little soreness in the arm was all.

BTW, for folks considering a typhoid vaccination, you have two choices: (1) an injection, which protects you for two years, and (2) four pills (live virus), which protect you for five years. The pills have to be refrigerated, and you take one every other day (and if I recall correctly, they had to be taken at a certain time before/after meals). Turned not to be as simple as it sounded when the physician's ass't said "oh, you can just take four pills for four days and you'll be protected for five years."

BTW, for folks considering a typhoid vaccination, you have two choices: (1) an injection, which protects you for two years, and (2) four pills (live virus), which protect you for five years. The pills have to be refrigerated, and you take one every other day (and if I recall correctly, they had to be taken at a certain time before/after meals). Turned not to be as simple as it sounded when the physician's ass't said "oh, you can just take four pills for four days and you'll be protected for five years."

I was given that option as well and chose the shot...one and done:)...and my MD had to order it because the last time he gave it to anyone was in medical school! FYI, you should check with your insurance carrier before you have the shot.....I was warned that they would not cover it and the shot would cost $100 (which was the dr.'s cost for the vaccine)...insurance did pay, but at least I knew I could be on the hook for it. We also had DPT shots as well, since whooping cough is making a comeback and apparently if you're "of a certain age" and had the dpt when you were an infant, it might not be good anymore.

I was given that option as well and chose the shot...one and done:)....

The funny thing is that my partner and I were at the travel clinic together to get all our shots for Egypt, when the PA told us about the typhoid pills and made it all sound so simple. I was still of the mind to just get the typhoid shot and be done with it. But my partner thought we should go with the pills for the longer protection. So we got prescriptions for them. I wound up filling mine first, and when my partner saw what a pain in the ass the whole thing was, she went back to the clinic and got the typhoid injection! :p

And yes, these various immunizations are not cheap. Hep A is pretty pricey too.

Well, I wil be the "odd ball out" and tell you we did not get any shots, pills or etc. for our recent 15 day tour of Egypt. We were all over the country - from Cairo to Abu Simbel and over to the Red Sea and back...... don't see any real reason for them even after being there.

NOW, if I was going to be there for a humanitarian visit and be out in the villages/homes where there is no real structure of basic sanitary measures, I would definatley rethink that decision. But we were in nice hotels, on a clean nice Nile cruise ship and really pretty protected in a tourist manner. We did visit bazaars, shisha bars etc. but never felt in a comprimised position. WE loved Egypt, the people, the music, the food - oh wait - not the food :eek: Haha.... do not go to Egypt for the food people !!!!!

Well, I wil be the "odd ball out" and tell you we did not get any shots, pills or etc. for our recent 15 day tour of Egypt. We were all over the country - from Cairo to Abu Simbel and over to the Red Sea and back...... don't see any real reason for them even after being there.

NOW, if I was going to be there for a humanitarian visit and be out in the villages/homes where there is no real structure of basic sanitary measures, I would definatley rethink that decision. But we were in nice hotels, on a clean nice Nile cruise ship and really pretty protected in a tourist manner. We did visit bazaars, shisha bars etc. but never felt in a comprimised position. WE loved Egypt, the people, the music, the food - oh wait - not the food :eek: Haha.... do not go to Egypt for the food people !!!!!

You didn't like the food? Wow, we loved the food except for the hummus :D. Of course, not getting any shots is always an option, but for me the risk isn't worth it. We too stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels and our cruise ships were immaculate but there are too many unknowns for me to risk my health. For instance, the restaurants were all wonderful but I didn't get to see where the food was prepared.....the people who interacted with us at the bathrooms selling toilet paper or in the bazaar selling stuff or the children grabbing our hands and trying to get our attention....I loved all of Egypt but I'm glad I got my shots!

Turtle: Wow, that was SO unfair!!!!!:D:D She owes you big time!!

You didn't like the food? Wow, we loved the food except for the hummus :D

The meat was all terribly over cooked. We ate once at the hotel in Cairo (Le Meridien) = so so. Once at Felfala (a highly recommended restaurant) near Le Meridien = eh. Nothing special. I did get a touch of Mummy tummy and missed one night's dinner at Barry's but heard it was much better than other two places. The Antinal worked great but I was somewhat adventurous with trying things and got it halfway thru our trip and also a touch at the end. More nuisance than anything. 8 people out of the 11 in our tour got it.

Our Nile cruise food was edible. But nothing special. Our guide ate with us one night and had tomoatos, feta and olive oil in a bowl..... he let me try it and I was hooked. I came in the next day for lunch and took a stack of tomatos, some cheese and poured some oil over it. Then chopped it all up. Well the dining room staff saw me do it and from then on they had it ready for me for lunch each day. You can add olives, or chili powder etc. But the meat was almost always overcooked. The vegetables were blah and everything was mostly bland.

Our all inclusive resort at Hurghada had some delicious lamb stew and I piled it on top of mashed potatos.....it was good.

We had been forewarned about the food.

As for shots, I have my personal reasons for opting to pass on those. I do always make sure my tetnus is up to date tho.... I am somewhat of a klutz and keep that one current :D

• 2 weeks later...
I have read that some recommend getting immunizations for Hep A & B and a few other immunizations. I do not think I have ever has any of these shots except for tetnus.

Curious how many get shots before going on a cruise to Europe/Middle East?

I don't get any shots for Europe other than keeping my tetanus up to date (mainly because I occasionally ride and it is more of a risk around horses). Anywhere else more exotic, I always get the recommended shots regardless of whether going by land or cruise. I work in Risk Mitigation so tend to be a bit risk adverse.

I don't get any shots for Europe other than keeping my tetanus up to date (mainly because I occasionally ride and it is more of a risk around horses). Anywhere else more exotic, I always get the recommended shots regardless of whether going by land or cruise. I work in Risk Mitigation so tend to be a bit risk adverse.

That's sounds pretty sensible to me! Basically we do the same, keep the tetanus up to date because no matter what country you're in, you just never know, but other than that I don't worry about Europe at all....third world countries are a different matter though and I prefer not to take chances.....I'm too old to have too many more chances left!!!:D

• 1 year later...

Archived