Air travel to BCN

cw2go

Hello and thank you in advance for your input, :p

I am researching flight options out of DTW Detroit USA to BCN Barcelona. Major price difference with a layover in Amsterdam or Paris rather than in the states. Of the two which would be my safest route? Or would it be wiser to pay the extra cost of $1200-$1500 total more in airfare to have a layover in Newark, NJ USA? Also what would be a recommended layover time allowance? I do not want to cut our flights to close but would also like to save financially where I can.

We will be taking a cruise for the med and plan to fly in two or three nights prior, if in any way that makes a difference with planning.

Smiles,

Patty

Hello and thank you in advance for your input, :p

I am researching flight options out of DTW Detroit USA to BCN Barcelona. Major price difference with a layover in Amsterdam or Paris rather than in the states. Of the two which would be my safest route? Or would it be wiser to pay the extra cost of $1200-$1500 total more in airfare to have a layover in Newark, NJ USA? Also what would be a recommended layover time allowance? I do not want to cut our flights to close but would also like to save financially where I can.

We will be taking a cruise for the med and plan to fly in two or three nights prior, if in any way that makes a difference with planning.

Smiles,

Patty

When I booked my flight from JAcksonville, FLA on Delta to Barcelona for a cruise in March 11, I found that Delta flys directly from Atlanta to Barcelona about ever other day of the week, so I am flying in two days before my cruise and coming home two days after. I have only a three hour layover in Atlanta (direct flight to Barcelona). My price was $760 per person.

Of course the time of year matters a lot on transatlantic flights.

My rule of thumb is to fly at least one or two days before a cruise, depending on the best connections and cheapest flights. I also look for either USAirways or Delta, since I am a frequent flyer on both.

As for your main question, saving $$ by scheduling a layover, I think it would be worth $1200-$1500. After all, the cost of a hotel room in Newark and cab fees should not come close to that. I am suprised that a layover in Amsterdam or Paris would cost so much.

I think you mean a connecting flight and not a "layover" which means staying at a hotel over night??

Doesn't Delta fly from Detroit now that they merged with Northwest??

You could fly to JFK and then directly to BCN.

I have been told by frequent fliers many times to avoid connecting in CDG(Paris) because it is big and takes a lot of time.

I'd leave about 3hours between flights to make sure you have plenty of time in case your first flight is late. It is better to be in the airport waiting than to worry about missing flights.

Amsterdam, hands down. This assumes, of course, a reasonable amount of time to make the connection.

While CDG (Paris) is one of my least favorite European airports, I would still take it in preference to Newark.

Why do you think making a connection in the US is better?

I hate connecting flights, no matter where the connection takes place. Since all the flights you are considering involve a connection , I would save the $1,500 and do it in Europe. Try to avoid CDG airport. As mentioned previously , it's a confusing airport. I did a connection there once with 3 hrs in between and I had enough time, but I wouldn't try to do it with less time to connect.

Thank you again,

I may be over thinking this but I thought flying with connecting flights it was always best if out of US to do so in the US? :confused:

I have been checking prices and no have clue what is reasonable???

I am looking for DTW to BCN one connection in Newark for $4606 for three of us. Sounds very high but this is also June 30th-July 10th?

I have looked over Delta's site and it seems my price with Continental is cheaper by lots. If you have any ideas on what is an expected cost for airfare or the best time to purchase them please share. I feel a little overwhelmed by this. I have the cruise and excursions figured, didn't expect air to cause me stress...:D

Smiles,

patty

UNfortunately you are flying in the HIGH summer season!

In general airfare is UP this year compared to last year and the planes are flying fuller because the airlines have fewer flights.

I MIGHT wait until Jan. to see if there are any "sale" offerings for summer because right now sales only go through April but even the "sale" prices this year are on the high side.

For example, I flew in the fall and the "sale" price was just under $1,000.

Since there are no direct flights from Chicago to Barcelona, we choose to change flights both going and returning in Europe. One of the big reasons was if we flew UA with the connection in Newark onto COntinental, the overseas flight was on a 757, a smaller plane with single aisle. Our overseas flights we chose were on 747 and an A340, both large planes with 2 aisles to get up and walk around since we like to stretch out on long flights. In addition, the overall flight times were pretty similar w/o long layovers.

Hi cw2go. Go to kayak dot com and enter your information to see flights available.

Well I guess I am in the ballpark since Cont. @ $4614 total is still the best price with the best flight times.

WOW :eek: I knew this would be pricey but this ia a bit more than expected.

Thank you

we are going to pay the extra to do nonstop out of atlanta rather than have a stop at CDG (Paris), I have heard horror stories about delays there so I wasn't going to push it with an hour and a half stop!

we always go at least one day ahead of time...and on our last trip to Alaska that almost wasn't enough time (we boarded at 4:20 from a cruise bus pickup for a 5:00 sailing!). you just don't know what might come up.

good luck!

Beverly

we are going to pay the extra to do nonstop out of atlanta rather than have a stop at CDG (Paris), I have heard horror stories about delays there so I wasn't going to push it with an hour and a half stop!

we always go at least one day ahead of time...and on our last trip to Alaska that almost wasn't enough time (we boarded at 4:20 from a cruise bus pickup for a 5:00 sailing!). you just don't know what might come up.

good luck!

Beverly

Can you tell me if my price is on par with the season for the three of us @ $4614? One stop both directions in Newark NJ with very nice flight times coming and going. I have searched and cannot find any direct flights out of DTW. Bummer!!

We do plan to fly in two nights ahead and yes we also were so greatful we did so for our Alaksa cruise this past June. the flights out of DTW were delayed for many hours. I am in agreement and will next be looking for hotels. :D

Thanks,

patty

We are flying Continental from Houston to Heathrow ($840) and then using BA ($320) to fly to Barcelona in early June next year. We prefered to do this so we could upgrade using points. Flying through Newark we couldn't upgrade. We also know our way around Heathrow so it was the best option for us.

Amsterdam, hands down. This assumes, of course, a reasonable amount of time to make the connection.

While CDG (Paris) is one of my least favorite European airports, I would still take it in preference to Newark.

Why do you think making a connection in the US is better?

I agree, CDG is not one of the best in Europe. I would go with Amsterdam, Zurich, Frankfurt or Munich over CDG. Also, Heathrow is worse than CDG. Another place to avoid is Madrid via Iberia.

I would avoid Paris - Charles de Galles airport if at all possible. More luggage is lost their then anywhere. It is a big unorganized airport. We had luggage lost there on the way to Beijing from Miami through Atlanta. If the beverage manager at our hotel in Beijing had not spoken English, French and Chinese our luggage would still be sitting at Charles de Galle marked "URGENT". It took almost $200 in phone calls and 3 days to get all our bags that were just sitting there. The year before our bags did not make the connection on the way home and were delivered to our house 2 days later. I would avoid that airport if there is any other way to go... Have a good trip.....

Can you tell me if my price is on par with the season for the three of us @ $4614? One stop both directions in Newark NJ with very nice flight times coming and going. I have searched and cannot find any direct flights out of DTW. Bummer!!

We do plan to fly in two nights ahead and yes we also were so greatful we did so for our Alaksa cruise this past June. the flights out of DTW were delayed for many hours. I am in agreement and will next be looking for hotels. :D

Thanks,

patty

Unfortunately, I think it's on the ballpark for flights to Europe during that time of year. I would hold off and see if they come down a bit (unless you see that the plane is getting full). Last year I paid for a R/T ticket Newark to Madrid on Continental around $1,300 for similar dates, which I thought was outrageous!

Thank you again,

I may be over thinking this but I thought flying with connecting flights it was always best if out of US to do so in the US? :confused:

I have been checking prices and no have clue what is reasonable???

I am looking for DTW to BCN one connection in Newark for $4606 for three of us. Sounds very high but this is also June 30th-July 10th?

I have looked over Delta's site and it seems my price with Continental is cheaper by lots. If you have any ideas on what is an expected cost for airfare or the best time to purchase them please share. I feel a little overwhelmed by this. I have the cruise and excursions figured, didn't expect air to cause me stress...:D

Smiles,

patty

I would try to avoid CDG if possible but would definitely prefer Amsterdam over any U.S. airport for a connection.We have flown to and from Amsterdam several times and also connected there. It is a excellent airport.

I'd second Amsterdam for European connections too. It'll help a bit with the ADP tax which is higher in the UK than other European countries. Let's face it, pennies we don't give to airlines/ governments are more fun pennies for us!

Unfortunately, I think it's on the ballpark for flights to Europe during that time of year. I would hold off and see if they come down a bit (unless you see that the plane is getting full). Last year I paid for a R/T ticket Newark to Madrid on Continental around $1,300 for similar dates, which I thought was outrageous!

Thank you for you input, I am waiting it out a few more weeks but honestly I am concerned. The flights are half booked between purchased flights and elites reserved seating. Wow! I knew flights are pricey but these are more than the cruise.

Looking at booking flights from Toronto to Barcelona and then Venice to Toronto at the end of cruise next September 2011. TA has provided me 3 options and would like your input as to the best city to have a connection through.

Ideally I would like the later flight out of Venice to allow us to take the ATVO bus to the airport.

Costs vary from $1246 Cdn pp to $1,325 Cdn pp.

Just wondering if it is too early to book because prices may come down or should I book something now ?

#1 -- Lufthansa Air Arrival Time

Toronto to Franfurt to Barcelona,arrive (11:45 am) -- 2 hr 50 min connect time -

(2:15 pm) Dep Venice to Frankfurt to Toronto -- 1 hr 20 min connect time

#2 -- Air Canada + Austrian Air

Toronto to Vienna to Barcelona,arrive (12:40 pm) -- 2 hr connect time

(7:00 am) Dep Venice to Vienna to Toronto -- 2 hr 10 min connection time

#3 -- US Airways

Toronto to Philadelphia to Barcelona,arrive(8:35 am)--1 hr 32 min connect time

(11:35am)Venice to Philadelphia to Toronto -- 2 hr 29 min connect time

I would not ordinarily book air this far out! There will be lots of time/schedule changes and fare changes between now and then.

In general I prefer arriving as early as possible BUT I don't like having only 1 1/2 hours between flights in Phillie but that is that best arrival /departure schedule IMO. UNfortunately I don't love US Air.

Many folks have also complained about Air Canada but I know you don't have too many options.

I guess since nothing is perfect right now, I'd wait until at least January to book this. Usually 3-4months out is plenty of time to get decent pricing.

Thanks Riffatsea, I appreciate your quick response. My TA is bugging me and I place a lot of trust in my CC friends like you and will continue to monitor prices for a while. I did not like the US Air flight because 1.5 hr connect time is not enough because they are notoriously late.

I would not ordinarily book air this far out! There will be lots of time/schedule changes and fare changes between now and then.

In general I prefer arriving as early as possible BUT I don't like having only 1 1/2 hours between flights in Phillie but that is that best arrival /departure schedule IMO. UNfortunately I don't love US Air.

Many folks have also complained about Air Canada but I know you don't have too many options.

I guess since nothing is perfect right now, I'd wait until at least January to book this. Usually 3-4months out is plenty of time to get decent pricing.

Just wondering if there is some reason you need a TA just to book a flight?? You can see all the flights available by using a site like:

http://www.kayak.com It shows all flights and airline combinations and allows you to compare prices.

When I find something I like then I usually go to the airline web site to take a look there as well. You just need to click on

"multi city flights" to find those going into one place and out of another.

I do not always use a TA but thought for this trip I would use one because if any last minute flight cancellations occur like last year the week before we went on the Panama Canal cruise the TA does all the running around. I do not mind doing the leg work up front to find the best prices .

I have also gone to the different airlines websites and their prices are more than I am getting quoted through different travel sites.

Thanks again for your interest in my situation.

Just wondering if there is some reason you need a TA just to book a flight?? You can see all the flights available by using a site like:

www.kayak.com It shows all flights and airline combinations and allows you to compare prices.

When I find something I like then I usually go to the airline web site to take a look there as well. You just need to click on

"multi city flights" to find those going into one place and out of another.

Archived