Thoughts on no more auto tipping

Drelix

I was wondering how it is going now that people dont have to auto tip any more?

Wondering if us PAX still think the service has changed and are people now tipping the staff on board by them self's or forgetting about it?

I have never paid auto tipping. I have always signed to have this removed since it was first introduced. We have done what we always have, which is to tip our cabin steward at the start of a cruise (hopefully) to ensure better than average service and then tip again at the end. We have done similar with restaurant staff when we had set dinner booking. However with anytime dining we don't do this anymore. If I find during the cruise that we are getting good service from someone in particular, restaurant or bars; I would put some cash in an envelope and offer it during or at the end of the cruise.

I was wondering how it is going now that people dont have to auto tip any more?

Wondering if us PAX still think the service has changed and are people now tipping the staff on board by them self's or forgetting about it?

now that they have stopped the auto tipping they have included it in with the fare so now everyone pays.....which is better so when you cruise you dont have to pay any more

I've only been on one cruise, but the autotipping really irked me. I removed it at the beginning of my cruise (a suggestion that was actually made by the pursers desk) and now I'm happy that it has been removed altogether.

Tipping is a process that should, and always has been done, at the discretion of the guest. While the merits of tipping can be argued at length, I do believe that autotipping spoils this important communication between the guest and the roomsteward/waiter/bartender. I believe P&O relied on the 'humiliation factor' when passengers wished to remove autotipping. Some passengers would be less inclined to remove their tipping if they knew they would have confront P&O staff about it (however this still didn't stop most passengers). Whether P&O was genuinally trying to help out their crew with an increase in tipping, or whether P&O had other ulterior motives remains to be seen. I'll gladly tip my room steward on my next cruise, in person, and I'll feel good about it.

AUTO TIPPING NO MORE IS GREAT.

I did write a little about this in this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1291647&highlight=

It works well no more lineing up at the purses deck to take it off.

But if you get the cruise director on P&O Australia from MR Hancok He may tell you to tip your waiter in the palm court and your cabin staff as they do not get paid a wage, they only rely on tips this statement if simply NOT TRUE AT ALL and do believe him.

The prices are way too high now. Its cheaper for us to fly to Europe, go on a 5 star ship with a balcony, stay in London for a week than to cruise locally now. mummsie

I really haven't seen the increases, they are cheaper if anything:)

I also feel this way, they seem pretty cheap compared to most other holidays. Our next cruise is $2100 each for 11 nights, staying in a balcony stateroom. This works out to be about $190 each day, which includes accommodation, three restaurant meals, unlimited buffet and constant entertainment, for both kids and adults. I don't understand passengers who would consider this to be poor value.

I agree, Suey. We booked our next NZ cruise months ago now, and it is definitely cheaper than the one we booked for last Feb. Also the Feb 2012 NZ cruise was cheaper again, but we decided we should try somewhere else.

I agree, Suey. We booked our next NZ cruise months ago now, and it is definitely cheaper than the one we booked for last Feb. Also the Feb 2012 NZ cruise was cheaper again, but we decided we should try somewhere else.

Cruising today is cheaper than it has ever been.

When I look back over the years and see what we paid then , I am quite shocked and amazed.

I guess it could be argued that it wasn't "removed" rather just added into the base fare

with the Princess cruises out of OZ from May next year they have jumped up in price so they have included the tips in with the fare

I guess it could be argued that it wasn't "removed" rather just added into the base fare?

I guess it could be argued that it wasn't "removed" rather just added into the base fare

with the Princess cruises out of OZ from May next year they have jumped up in price so they have included the tips in with the fare

but it has been said on here in this thread,that P&O prices are dropping.

Had a look at the prices for Dawn Princess 104 day world cruise, both for 2010 and 2011.

The prices for 2011 cruise are up by a couple of thousand over the 2010 cruise. Why?

It has to because of the 'no more auto tips on DP WC from May 2011. For sure the automatic wage subsidy (auto tip) has been included and hidden in the cruise fare for DP WC 2011.

Had a look at the prices for Dawn Princess 104 day world cruise, both for 2010 and 2011.

The prices for 2011 cruise are up by a couple of thousand over the 2010 cruise. Why?

It has to because of the 'no more auto tips on DP WC from May 2011. For sure the automatic wage subsidy (auto tip) has been included and hidden in the cruise fare for DP WC 2011.

hi Les, not only the WC but other Princess AU cruises have risen.....people may cruise on something else

hi Les, not only the WC but other Princess AU cruises have risen.....people may cruise on something else

For as long as I have been following cruises , and cruising , the prices go up every year, and everyone moans and complains.

However , I dont know of anyone who pays the full brochure price. Early booking fares apply, and if bookings are slow , sales come out, and thats when most people book.

We very nearly booked a luxury cruise this year, as there was a great sale on which had to be booked by a certain date. We enquired, but did not proceed, glad we didn't . as , after the final date had passed....guess what ? ...the prices came down even further.

As for the tip being included in the price, I for one think it should be. Its an overhead the company should pay and factor into their costing the same as every business does in Au/NZ to cover a decent wage for their staff.

hey to no more tipping, We have been on one cruise with out auto tipping and I think its great as there is less people at the purses desk and that leaves the purses free to do more importent things to do.

Sorry to ask the obvious question, but...if we believe that prices have risen to cover the removal of auto-tipping will you be tipping your steward or will you assume that their wage has risen to cover this?

We do not tip unless some one does Exceptionaly well and goes above and beyond there work description/ job/employment they are employed to do by the cruise line.

yes like I said earlier - we got a Princess cruise brochure in the mail, the prices are way up on other lines. We are flying to London, going on Celebrity for 14 nights and coming home for cheaper than a Princess cruise out of Sydney. Why bother going local!!! :D mummsie

For as long as I have been following cruises , and cruising , the prices go up every year, and everyone moans and complains.

As with most things. Plus we're coming out of a period where prices went down dramatically as consumer spending also fell. Cabins were dramatically discounted, and it's reasonable that the increase would be moderated rather than just immediately go pack to the old prices.

Lastly, if ships can fill themselves at those prices, it's understandable that they will. Not too many businesses go, well I can sell this for $X, but I'll sell it for half price just to increase demand and sell out early (and then have many customers dissatisfied and turned away because they had to book 12 months out just to get a space).

Archived