Confessions of an Unlikely Cunarder-November 10, 2010 Westbound Crossing

buckirj1

Now that I'm back home, and reasonably settled, I thought I'd start a review.

It all started in the early part of 2010, when one day I was goofing off at work and checking on different cruises taking place around my birthday. Just for the heck of it I decided to price out a crossing on the Cunard website, and for some reason the single supplement didn't come up. Hmmmm. I emailed my travel agent and asked, "am I seeing things?" My agent did some research, and found the supplement had been waived for that crossing. Did I wish to book? Ummm, well, ahhhh, yes...please. I had virtually no knowledge of the QM2 at that time, as I am the most casual of cruisers and never thought of Cunard as being an especially good match for my style. Turns out I was wrong about that;)

After a great deal of help from the kind folks on the Cunard and Air Travel boards, I quickly settled on one-way flights on Southwest from BWI to BOS, then BOS to LHR via Reyjkavik on Icelandair, Smith's car service from LHR to Soton, and finally the IBIS hotel for a one-night stay.

Fast forward through several months of Icelandic volcano worries, as well as the generalized, "Omigawrsh, what've I done?" worries, final payment came and went...and there was no turning back. During those months, I pestered the CC community with sometimes inane questions, and responses were almost always helpful. Huge thanks to everyone who answered my questions...and for not making too much fun of me.

More later...

Now that I'm back home, and reasonably settled, I thought I'd start a review.

It all started in the early part of 2010, when one day I was goofing off at work and checking on different cruises taking place around my birthday. Just for the heck of it I decided to price out a crossing on the Cunard website, and for some reason the single supplement didn't come up. Hmmmm. I emailed my travel agent and asked, "am I seeing things?" My agent did some research, and found the supplement had been waived for that crossing. Did I wish to book? Ummm, well, ahhhh, yes...please. I had virtually no knowledge of the QM2 at that time, as I am the most casual of cruisers and never thought of Cunard as being an especially good match for my style. Turns out I was wrong about that;)

After a great deal of help from the kind folks on the Cunard and Air Travel boards, I quickly settled on one-way flights on Southwest from BWI to BOS, then BOS to LHR via Reyjkavik on Icelandair, Smith's car service from LHR to Soton, and finally the IBIS hotel for a one-night stay.

Fast forward through several months of Icelandic volcano worries, as well as the generalized, "Omigawrsh, what've I done?" worries, final payment came and went...and there was no turning back. During those months, I pestered the CC community with sometimes inane questions, and responses were almost always helpful. Huge thanks to everyone who answered my questions...and for not making too much fun of me.

More later...

Hi buckrij1, Looking forward to hearing what you thought of QM2, don't make us wait too long.

Catherine

Welcome home, buckirj1. Thanks for starting your review. I do remember some of your questions and your concern about the dress code, etc. From your first post, it seems you had a wonderful crossing. Like others, I can't wait to read the rest of your review.

:( Arrrghhh!! Just type the WHOLE thing up and submit it in bits, that way we don't have to wait forever for the next installment.

Keep up the good work, this is kind of like the serials my dad went to as a kid on Saturday at the movies....wait until next time to find out what happens....

Back again...

I scheduled the first flight out of BWI to BOS, given that you never know about the weather. This also required scheduling an o'dark-thirty airport shuttle pickup. I asked family and friends not to try to call on Sunday afternoon, as I'd be staying awake all night waiting for the shuttle. Wouldn't you know...the phone rings at 3PM. I jumped out of bed, tripped over the cat, pinballed around the bedroom walls and furniture a bit, and ended up back on the bed with my leg wrapped around a table leg. Ouch-ow-ow!! Knowing from experience it sometimes takes pain a few days to show up, I decided to take along a cane (which turned out to be a gigantic pain in the neck). Oh, and the phone stopped ringing, and whoever called didn't leave voicemail.

Anyway, after an uneventful shuttle ride (saving the deer that ran across the road in front of the shuttle van), I had an uneventful flight to Boston, and an uneventful flight to Iceland, and an uneventful flight to LHR. I'm not at all well-travelled, and was continually surprised at how organized it all seemed. I passed through Immigration at Heathrow (Immigration Agent: "Ooh, the QM2. How lovely!") and met the driver from Smith's. Nice chap named Sam. We embarked on a rather long hike to where he was required to park the car, with Sam apologizing all the way until I explained about the unnecessary cane. He had the grace and tact not to laugh.

We arrived at the IBIS Southampton, and I was quickly installed in my room. The room was on the small side, but it was clean, with a comfortable bed, and perfectly adequate for a night. I had grandiose plans of walking over to the giant shopping mall, but I was fried from lack of sleep. Ended up eating something or another at the hotel and slept for about 12 hours.

November 10 dawned clear and bright, or as bright as can be expected for that part of the world at that time of year. I took a taxi to the Ocean Terminal; you'll recall the terminal was changed from Mayflower a few days before. At last caught my first sight of the QM2. Holy monkey, that's one biiiig ship!! I dropped off my checked bag with a porter, but forgot to attached the luggage tags. The porter was very kind and walked me into the terminal, where Cunard staff provided tags and pointed me toward the Cunard host stand, where I obtained a place in the boarding queue. Finally, it was my turn to board!!! I passed through security ("are you able to manage without the cane, ma'am?"), and finally boarded on Deck 3 I think. Such a beautiful ship. I tried hard not to make comparisons with past experiences, but I think the QM2 is the second-prettiest ship I've experienced.

A helpful crew member gave me directions to my stateroom (Deck 4, Stairwell C), and I got my first look at where I'd be sleeping for the next 6 nights. I've had bigger staterooms, but I don't think any of them were laid out so efficiently. Best of all, I was finally able to stow that blasted cane! I set out to explore a bit, and was flabbergasted at the sheer size and elegance of...everything. I felt like doing a Granny Clampitt clog in the Grand Lobby, but restrained myself.

I made my way to the Brittania, where I informed the maitre d' that I wouldn't be eating in the restaurant in the evenings. He promised to "unseat" me, which I found enormously funny. If anybody was on the same sailing and wondered who was the missing passenger at Table 200, it was me. I loathe assigned seating. I don't mind eating with other people, but I really dislike the thought of eating at the same time every night. If I'm able to do another Cunard sailing, the Brittania Club sounds like it might be a good alternative.

By this time, it was time to make my way back to the stateroom to change into Elegant Casual clothing for dinner at the buffet. This would be the last time I dressed up to eat...

...and this seems to be a good place to stop, because I have to check some notes. Next time, a few words about eating, dress codes, etc. Thanks for reading, and the nice comments so far.

buckirj1

I am going to close down this machine tomorrow, as I am going on the Caribbean cruise as of Nov 27, so I will not be here for the end of your story.

However I am so intrigued with your statement "and that was the last time I dressed for dinner" Does this mean that you eat in Kings Court every night?

Please tell me what happened, before tomorrow.

Lynn

P.S. I am frantically trying to make do with one checked case, and two carryons, think I will end up having to take two checked cases. Have one night in hotel in NY before the cruise, and the cruise has 4 Formal, 4 Semi formal , and 3 Elegant Casual.

I'm sorry, folks (and especially you, Lynn). It's difficult being back at work and making preparations for US Thanksgiving.

Anyway, yes...I ate almost exclusively at the buffet. Other posters have explained the workings of the bookable wait-service Kings Court evening restaurants. I was never able to obtain booking at any of them; they were fully booked for all except the first night.

I found the food at the buffet good-to-excellent, and perfect for the way I like to eat. After the first night, I usually wore to supper whatever I happened to be wearing (usually jeans,turtleneck and oxford shoes). It turned out to be completely unnecessary to dress Elegant Casual at the buffet, and the staff was perfectly fine with it. I think they were just happy to see people up there. It's hard to explain, but the other Kings Court restaurants were somehow walled-off/screened away from the buffet part, while still maintaining a corridor for passengers to walk through to get to the buffet. You had to look very hard to get a glimpse at the table service restaurants. I think the specified dress code applied in those, but can't be sure. Anyway, because of the corridor, there was some "cross-pollination," but nobody looked askance at each other and it was all quite civilized. It was incongruous in the extreme to see the fancy folks in gowns and tuxedos come marching through on their way to the Grills with an ice cream cone in hand!

The buffet was quiet and relatively uncrowded most times I was there, and especially so at suppertime. It was by no means empty, just uncrowded. Staff was very attentive in handing out plates/flatware, and also in clearing tables almost immediately. The buffet always had a custom carved meat of some sort (really good turkey and roast beef); a pasta dish; great lashings of vegetables; a fish dish (salmon with mango relish, mmmm); a starch or two; and some astonishing soups. My own feeling is that it's silly to dress up to eat, but I'd dress however Cunard wants in order to have that wonderful butternut squash soup and the excellent lamb stew with root vegetables...and not just any root vegetables like potatoes and carrots...we're talking turnips, rutabagas, and oh my...parsnips. The dish had a great fancy name, but it was lamb stew. Lots of desserts, including sugar-free, low-fat and gluten-free choices. A large selection of salads and salad ingredients. A huge selection of fresh fruits--I was particularly impressed that so much detail was paid to putting fruits out only when they were perfectly ripe. I've never seen such perfect strawberries and bananas. And unusual fruits, too. I had dragonfruit for the first time.

I'm very glad Cunard has this alternative for those of us who don't like to dress up to eat. That isn't to say I didn't dress up at all. If I felt like seeing a show or going to a ball after supper, then I hightailed it back to the stateroom to change. I brought one formal outfit and wore it twice. I often hung out at the Golden Lion pub at night; that seemed to be the place where the jeans stayed on the longest, were first to reappear, and was in general more relaxed. Oh, and I saw many tuxedo ties come off...and they were the pre-tied kind. I thought of you all every time I saw one!

To answer some questions, I had a D6 inside on Deck 4. The prettiest ship I've ever sailed was the NCL Spirit. I loved the Asian influences. Best on-board service I've had on a major cruiseline, too, though nothing yet has come close to Riverbarge. How I miss the 'Barge. And yes, Roy, I was checking out QM2's Canada/NE itineraries when we ran into each other. Don't think I'll do it for awhile, though. 10 days is a pretty long cruise for me.

Next time (and I'm determined to have this finished by the end of the weekend), I'd like to talk a bit about onboard entertainment, activities, and music. I wish you all a pleasant weekend. And bon voyage, Lynn. I hope you have a wonderful journey.

Rita

Hi Rita,

I was at table 200. While I'm sorry that I never got a chance to meet you onboard, I'm very glad that you found a dining arrangement that you enjoyed for the 6 nights. I've enjoyed reading your review and am looking forward to reading the rest. Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Jennifer

Rita

Thank you for your good wishes, fly to NY tomorrow, one night at Hilton and then THE QUEEN. So looking forward to being pampered, trouble is it goes straight to my hips!

Finally got my checked case packed, and my carryons are almost finished, there are always things like brush and comb, and makeup to go in, oh and my knitting!

It certainly sounds as though you ate well at Kings Court, most interested in your comments on the fresh fruit. I think I will be "sneaking" a daily ration of fruit from there for my cabin.

Until my return. Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Lynn

Rita, I hope you'll forgive a rant (I'll get to it).

From what I've seen, you and Cunard are a naturally poor match. That you came away from the experience so positive is a great tribute both to Cunard and to you. Cunard has a featured experience that is far out of sync with your desires, but they also provide a lot of choices. That is a big plus but what is probably more important is your attitude in making the most of the things you love and working around the things you don't. Many people despise Kings Court but you matched it th the way you like to dine and took full advantage of the choices you had.

Now the rant. My previous Cunard voyage was a segment of the Queen Victoria World Cruise. I was seated with a couple who complained about everything. They didn't like dressing up and they didn't like fixed dining but they booked Cunard anyway, knowing what they were getting. They said they booked the cruise for the itinerary but constantly complained about how hot it was in Southeast Asia and India. They even complained in India that some of the busses were not air conditioned and said that if they couldn't all be air conditioned then none should be. Really? I would hope Cunard assigned the busses with AC to tours that used them most intensively, but why should everyone suffer because there weren't enough to go around. Fortunately, these people had most dinners in the Lido. Their empty chairs were really better dinner companions.

What a contrast with your attitude, making the most of the positives you found. You even had the insight and courtesy to let the maitre d' know your plans so others wouldn't be wondering where you were. You will make any ship you sail a brighter place.

Roy

What a lovely thing to say. Thank you so much for the kind words. Truthfully, there's a lot about Cunard to like. Sure, my experience might not be the norm, and it certainly isn't the one Cunard likes to advertise. As you said, the important thing is that Cunard makes all these choices available for any guest to experience. No one aspect of the sailing was the best I've had, but taken as an aggregate, it was a most satisfying journey.

...and rants are always okay!

Hi buckirj1

We too was on this crossing and I am so glad you had a good time. We always ate in the main dining room except for one night we ate in Todd English, which was a disappointment. We did think we would like to eat in the other dining rooms but we never got ourselves together to make a reservation. I was very happy on the whole with the dining room although by the end of the 17 days I have to say my dresses were quite tight!

It was a shame that you did not eat once or twice on table 200 as jjdc (Jennifer) said she was on this table and as we met her onboard I can say that you missed out on her very good company. I am, however, very happy that you enjoyed Kings Court and the pub (I don't know of a pub here in the UK where a gown is required) and it just goes to show that the QM2 can cater for all tastes.

We had a fantastic time both on the ship and the West Indies, but now cannot sleep as I am rubbish at adjusting to time zones.

Mrs B

Archived