General questions on Crown

karabear15

We will be sailing on the Crown January 15th to 22nd. Has anyone cruised during this time, and if so...

1. How is the weather? I know temps barely change, and it should be in the mid 80s, but how about humidity, rain, storms...etc.

2. Being right after the holidays, and during winter months, how crowded do you think the ship will be?

3. Again being right after the holidays, will it generally be an "older" crowd, will we have to be up at 6am in order to get a decent poolside lounge chair?

I know these seem like very general questions...I am an avid cruiser, but the majority of my sailings have been during "high season", so I know what to expect generally.

The last time we sailed the early part of January, YES, it was a much older crowd. Which meant (on our sailing) early to bed and early to rise to head to the pool deck to secure those loungers for the day. As for being crowded, most Princess ships sail full, so expect a ship that is sold to, or almost to capacity. If the ship isn't sold out shortly after final payment, Princess normally will run flash promotions at a much lower price to fill the ship. This in turn brings the retirees that can travel on short notice from surrounding areas.

As for the weather, you never know. Expect a bit of rain, but it usually doesn't last long and is always warm. Enjoy!

We often sail in January, and agree with above that normally there are not many children and passengers are mature adults, and we always find there are alot of Canadians sailing in January. Weather is warm, but you can get rain. The ocean water, especially at Princess Cays, is not as warm as I like it! The Crown has plenty of lounge chairs and open decks, so don't worry, although I expect you might have trouble finding one right by the pool unless you go early. Enjoy-we love the Crown!

Thanks! Yea I've been on the crowns sister ship, emerald...so I understand the lay of the ship per say...

I'm just used to going with more families, or atleast found adults. I'm completely alright with an "older" crowd as I work with teens all day every day! Kind of stinks that ill have to get up quite early on sea days to get a nice poolside chair, but I'm used to it, so not a big difference in that aspect.

Yes, I did hear the waters are not as warm...which bums me out a bit as we plan on doing a lot of snorkeling. Is the water like really cold, or " refreshing", and you will eventually get used to it?

Thanks for all the input...can't wait, less than 2 months away!

We're sailing the week after so i guess the same applies for our cruise?

Hey, so are we! Looking forward to our first Princess cruise!!!

To the OP. We've cruised in January and generally had great weather. The only possible concern has more to do with a port than the weather. Grand Cayman is a shallow tender port so sometimes cruise ships have to skip it due to rough seas.

Hey, so are we! Looking forward to our first Princess cruise!!!

To the OP. We've cruised in January and generally had great weather. The only possible concern has more to do with a port than the weather. Grand Cayman is a shallow tender port so sometimes cruise ships have to skip it due to rough seas.

So let's say that a port gets cancelled due to rough seas...if you have a shore excursion booked through the cruise, will it just be cancelled? Then obviously not charged for them?

So let's say that a port gets cancelled due to rough seas...if you have a shore excursion booked through the cruise, will it just be cancelled? Then obviously not charged for them?
Yes. They will credit your onboard account if they cancel a shore excursion. If you book one privately and have to pay a deposit ahead of time, make sure that it will be refunded if your ship misses that port.

I am on this cruise as well. Weather is generally good this time of year, and since the kids are back in school, the average age will be 60+. There are still a lot of cabins available, and there has already been 3 price drops.

Well...then it will look like my boyfriend and I will be one of the youngest on board!

Are you on the Roll Call yet?

Yes, the price drops have really been a friend of mine. My TA laughed and said by the time I get on the boat I'm going to be upgraded into a suite, considering I've gone from an inside cabin into a balcony already.

Well...then it will look like my boyfriend and I will be one of the youngest on board!

going to be upgraded into a suite, considering I've gone from an inside cabin into a balcony already.

Whats your age? We're 36 & 40. Did your upgrade come about by luck or did you have to do something?

Whats your age? We're 36 & 40. Did your upgrade come about by luck or did you have to do something?

We are 24 and 26.

I happened to check the princess website and I am a captains circle member so I signed in, and it showed me discounted rates, and both the balcony rate as well as our inside cabin rate went down, so called my TA and she got the rebate from our inside cabins and placed it words the balcony upgrade.

Nice. Have you been over to the roll call thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1207738&highlight=

Have looked at it but haven't "checked in" yet...

Karabear, you just might be youngest, but thats a good thing! My wife is 48 and I'm 50, but still feel 25! (well, most days anyway...) :)

Yea...I feel like we are going to be the youngest! Like I said though, we aren't taking the trip for tons of excitement. We just want to go, enjoy the weather and the islands, have some drinks, eat tons and just relax overall. So being with an older crowd is A-OK

Archived