Just Got Home from

Pokeynose

our Eastern Carb. Cruise on Ms. Westerdam a couple of hours ago. Really tired but wanted to say a few things. As far as Security check going and coming, NO problems. Yes we were scanned and patted down which was no biggie. The female TSA explained exactly what she was going to do and it was not that invasive.

I don't have a way with words like others have but I will tell the truth. Boarding was smooth, rooms were ready early. We had two wonderful room stewards. Room was kept clean and they seemed to know just when we were gone. I didn't notice too many changes after the dry dock, especially to the same suite we have had 4 times. Same grouting in the shower that needed to be repaired but since the bathroom was kept clean it didn't matter. The sheets were not changed but then I don't change mine every day or two.

Every employee had a smile and a "good day" when they met you in the halls or anywhere else. They were a happy bunch. Someone was cleaning the interior of the ship all the time. No norvo aboard. We decided to not eat in the MDR, the menu really didn't appeal to us, the Lido had a great selection that we liked. We were able to get Crab legs the same night as the MDR.

We used the luggage express so had to out of our room by 7:30am just in case Customs had a question, none asked so we headed to the airport for a 12:50pm. flight. Met some passengers from our cruise and had a nice time chatting.

I don't know if you heard since I haven't read all the posts but our cruise was delayed one day because of a broken generator I think that's what it was called. The work going on was right outside our balconey, DH knew it wouldn't make it up with the crane they were using so it took the next morning before it was completed. The only inconvenice was no toilets for about 2 hrs. and no elevators same time frame. Of course we missed one of the islands but to me it didn't matter, to some it did and I felt sorry for them. The compensation for our inconvience was a 10% discount on the cruise we were on or 20% on your next cruise for the next two years. There was lots of complaining made since some thought that was not enough. To me it was fair. We still had the run of the ship, not like on the Princess.

Disimbarcation for us was a breeze, they had everyone color coded. Our luggage was waiting for us at Midway before the other passengers on our plane got theirs. It was so nice not to have to lug your luggage to the airport and check it in. AsI said I'm not good with words but right now this is all I can remember. I'm sure others will have a better review.

We had a wonderful relaxing time and that was all we wanted. I even lost weight:D. I did lots of walking when I was able. I can't wait for our next cruise in Feb. There were a few negatives but not worth mentioning. Time for bed since our day started at 6:00am. BTW, we did take small trays which came in handy when we took food or drinks back to our cabin to eat on the balconey, everyone wanted to know where we got them and wished they had one. Even one of the Officers said "smart move". I hope I didn't bore you too much.:eek:

What a great idea to take a small tray with you. I think I'll make a trip to the dollar store and pick up a light plastic one and shove it in my luggage for my cruise in December. Glad you had a nice cruise despite the problem with the generator.

Welcome back to reality. Now it will hit you that a bad day at sea is better than a good day on land.

Himself

AMEN to that. Short of the ship sinking with me in it, nothing can totally ruin my cruise especially when HAL gives out some free goodies.:D

You might not think you have "a way with words" but I thought you did just fine. Better than fine, actually! Thanks. :)

I agree.

Thanks for the info on your compensation for the generator too. personally I think it was fair.

I agree.

Thanks for the info on your compensation for the generator too. personally I think it was fair.

We were pleased with the compensation too, but, of course, there were people who had really wanted to experience those crystal waters at Grand Turk. I heard very little grumbling about it though.

And there was the fascination of watching the ground folks walking around and huddling, staring at the replacement generator, talking some more, staring at the cranes, talking, phoning, pacing, and finally staring some more.

• 2 weeks later...
our Eastern Carb. Cruise on Ms. Westerdam a couple of hours ago. Really tired but wanted to say a few things. As far as Security check going and coming, NO problems. Yes we were scanned and patted down which was no biggie. The female TSA explained exactly what she was going to do and it was not that invasive.

I don't have a way with words like others have but I will tell the truth. Boarding was smooth, rooms were ready early. We had two wonderful room stewards. Room was kept clean and they seemed to know just when we were gone. I didn't notice too many changes after the dry dock, especially to the same suite we have had 4 times. Same grouting in the shower that needed to be repaired but since the bathroom was kept clean it didn't matter. The sheets were not changed but then I don't change mine every day or two.

Every employee had a smile and a "good day" when they met you in the halls or anywhere else. They were a happy bunch. Someone was cleaning the interior of the ship all the time. No norvo aboard. We decided to not eat in the MDR, the menu really didn't appeal to us, the Lido had a great selection that we liked. We were able to get Crab legs the same night as the MDR.

We used the luggage express so had to out of our room by 7:30am just in case Customs had a question, none asked so we headed to the airport for a 12:50pm. flight. Met some passengers from our cruise and had a nice time chatting.

I don't know if you heard since I haven't read all the posts but our cruise was delayed one day because of a broken generator I think that's what it was called. The work going on was right outside our balconey, DH knew it wouldn't make it up with the crane they were using so it took the next morning before it was completed. The only inconvenice was no toilets for about 2 hrs. and no elevators same time frame. Of course we missed one of the islands but to me it didn't matter, to some it did and I felt sorry for them. The compensation for our inconvience was a 10% discount on the cruise we were on or 20% on your next cruise for the next two years. There was lots of complaining made since some thought that was not enough. To me it was fair. We still had the run of the ship, not like on the Princess.

Disimbarcation for us was a breeze, they had everyone color coded. Our luggage was waiting for us at Midway before the other passengers on our plane got theirs. It was so nice not to have to lug your luggage to the airport and check it in. AsI said I'm not good with words but right now this is all I can remember. I'm sure others will have a better review.

We had a wonderful relaxing time and that was all we wanted. I even lost weight:D. I did lots of walking when I was able. I can't wait for our next cruise in Feb. There were a few negatives but not worth mentioning. Time for bed since our day started at 6:00am. BTW, we did take small trays which came in handy when we took food or drinks back to our cabin to eat on the balconey, everyone wanted to know where we got them and wished they had one. Even one of the Officers said "smart move". I hope I didn't bore you too much.:eek:

I was on the same cruise as you were. After 30 plus cruises it was my first time on HAL. I was pleasantly surprised. The crew and service was outstanding.

Not sure why people were upset about the compensation. We got also (besides the choices you noted) our port taxes for Grand Turk back.

I was pleasantly surprised about the compensation as we all still used the ships facilities, ate onboard etc.

Living in Ft Lauderdale I should be the one most upset. But heck, I was on a cruise ship. :D

The Westerdam definitely represented HAL quite well.

"We decided to not eat in the MDR, the menu really didn't appeal to us, the Lido had a great selection that we liked. We were able to get Crab legs the same night as the MDR. "

Thank you for the review. I was a little surprised by this comment above. As one who does not eat dinner in the Lido I was under the impression that the menu was the same there as the MDR every night, but if I understand you this has changed?

Glad you had a good trip.

"We decided to not eat in the MDR, the menu really didn't appeal to us, the Lido had a great selection that we liked. We were able to get Crab legs the same night as the MDR. "

Thank you for the review. I was a little surprised by this comment above. As one who does not eat dinner in the Lido I was under the impression that the menu was the same there as the MDR every night, but if I understand you this has changed?

We ate twice and between the slow service and the quality of the food we decided to eat elsewhere. I know everyone has different tastes but when your whole table of 6 cancels out you begin to wonder. We were happy with the Lido food, the Pinnacle food and room service. We are planning on doing the same in Feb. No formal clothes, just a couple of nice outfits for casual. Less luggage with the prices both ways.

Archived