Please help-I think I don't want to cruise!

cruzrmomma

Booked two cruises-have to decide which one-Caribbean and Star Princess. I keep reading about how there are 8 or 9 ships in these ports at a time, and the crowds and thousands of people streaming out of the ships-getting up early and stainding in line for tenders...aaah! This does not sound fun! Grand Cayman (been there ages ago) sounds like a nightmare! St. Marten gets 9 ships a day-can't figure out the appeal of that place yet. I have taken a few cruises-but not for a few years, sound like things have really changed with the mega-ships. Does anyone else feel like cattle?

Is Eastern CAribbean vs. Western any easier? (we have children). I'm totally losing sleep over this! Think maybe we should just go to Mexico where the ports are not so crowded. Thanks for anyone who answers!

Relax and just enjoy! It isn´t so bad because these ports do this almost everyday and have it down to an art - as to Grand Cayman concider yourself lucky if you can go ashore because lots of cruises actually miss this port due to high winds!! If you don't want to get in to a tizz well then sleep in and once you are done with breakfast the crowds will be gone. If you are however expecting empty islands where you can have miles & miles of unspoiled beach to yourself well then you are just on the wrong world.

A cruise can be a fairly expensive mistake, and really once you're on board for a week what can you do if you don't like it? If you have so many doubts about it, I would trust your instincts and choose a different type of vacation. I enjoy cruising now and then, but I actually prefer land vacations (did she really say that?? :eek:) :D . Is there a reason you feel compelled to take a cruise? No one vacation type/destination is right for everyone. Some people like cities, some like camping... some like resorts, others like B&Bs. No one vacation is intrinsically better than another. It's a matter of personal preference.

Read all you can find in the Princess boards and in the Ports of Call for your stops, gather all the info and then you'll be able to make an informed decision.

Whatever type of vacation you choose, I hope you and your family have a splendid time!

cruzrmomma

To find out how many ships in a port click here for a link to cruisecal. Click on the port that you want to check and you're set.

As far as busy ports, Cozumel always seems busy. They have 3 different docks. We have been there 4 times in the past 2 years and even though there are 6 or more ships in port they have the ability to handle the crowds.

Many people from the ships will be taking excursions. Others head for the beach and some go shopping.

Hope this helps and good luck on your decision.

Charlie

cruzrmomma ~

I think that as long as you have an excursion booked... you will be fine with crowds.

If you have paid for your "slot" on an excursion....you will have a place.

Also, consider an independent excursion.....that perhaps will take you away from the excursions that the ship's masses are booking.

My theory: Get off the ship and go. ;)

I think the only time you really have a problem with the lines is if you want to be the first person off the ship. We have found that if you just wait a half hour to an hour after they start letting people off you can walk right off the ship. We always plan on getting up at the time the ship is due to disembark in ports that way we don't wait and we have the breakfast buffet or dining room without all the crowds. Cruising is a great vacation with kids if you want to enjoy some alone time with your spouse! Almost all the ships have kids programs that are great which can give you a little time to be with grown ups for a few hours. Which ever you decide I hope you have a good vaccation

Lori...St.Louis

Does anyone else feel like cattle?

It's not that bad. I prefer solitude to big crowds for relaxing & sight seeing. The key is do your own thing. Seriously, other than occasionally being able to spot people from the other ships by their towels, you don't feel over run.

If it is a port where you must tender, do not attempt to be among the 1st off the ship. You will feel like cattle then but it does only last for a few minutes. It's much better than commuting by mass transit if you've ever done that.

I also do not like sea days -- having what feels like everyone aboard crammed around the pool is awful. There are many who disagree & say sea days are the best but I always go try to find a spot as far away from the crowds as possible. One of these years I'll be able to spring for a balcony :) but until then I just hide.

Surprisingly, the other events aboard ship do not feel crowded. There are just so many entertainment / dining choices.

I agree w/ amapola - - you have to trust your instincts. Most people on these boards love cruising but not everyone does. It may not be the perfect vacation for you. Before my 1st cruise I was really worried about feeling trapped & crowded so I ended up taking a shorter cruise. I learned that I like cruising.

Enjoy. Whatever you do.

My husband and I have sometimes opted to stay onboard at port stops. The ship is wonderful that day, you practically have it to yourself. Sometimes we get off for a couple of hours either for a short excursion or to walk around town a bit, then get right back onboard.

I'm with you, though, if I'm looking at a port with 9 ships in that day, it doesn't sound real appealing. If that is your priority, avoiding crowds, I would look into either a different ship or a land vacation.

Thank you so much for the advice. Honestly, I am really a resort person. But I'm doing this mainly because my kids love cruising, and I have a couple teens that love meeting others. I guess it's those pictures of 9 ships in St. Marten that really got to me! This may be our last cruise, who knows, or I may love it!

Thanks again!

I was on the Triumph May 2003 & that was my first cruise. I did not feel like I was in a herd of cattle. We had a great time & felt we had alot of room. The only time I felt like I was being trampled was in getting off the ship & picking up our luggage in that awful room. Hope this helps!!:o

Don't give too much stock in this calendar, I just found my ship is off by a day in each port, dates aren't matching up with my itinerary.

I'm the webmaster at CruiseCal.com. I would say my site is quite accurate.

My schedules are based on the schedules published by the Lines so last minute changes sometimes don't make it in. I do receive feedback from visitors to my site when there are errors and I correct them quickly.

What ship/date are you on?

I appreciate your comments bs_kc, but if you look at the Holland America web site, the Volendam for March 20th, your off by a day in all our ports of call. This itinerary has not changed since I booked this cruise last March.

We sail on the 20th of March, on your cruise calendar you have us in Nassau on the 20th instead of the 21st. St. Thomas we are there on March 23rd, not the 22nd as shown on your calendar. Each stop is off by a day. Again, this has always been our itinerary, you may want to double check on their web site. I appreciate your help in changing the calendar, thanks again.

I cruise for the ship and the sea and not the ports. These are secondary to me and I often do not bother to get off in places I do not care for. In islands like Cayman, I wait til everyone else has gotten off, then head to the beach. I hate lines and all that but I do not think it is a big deal. If you are really adverse to this, take the family to an AI instead.

I appreciate your comments bs_kc, but if you look at the Holland America web site, the Volendam for March 20th, your off by a day in all our ports of call. This itinerary has not changed since I booked this cruise last March.

We sail on the 20th of March, on your cruise calendar you have us in Nassau on the 20th instead of the 21st. St. Thomas we are there on March 23rd, not the 22nd as shown on your calendar. Each stop is off by a day. Again, this has always been our itinerary, you may want to double check on their web site. I appreciate your help in changing the calendar, thanks again.

Wow! My schedule for the Volendam is so way off!

I apologize but, I still stand behind my site. I don't know what happened with the Volendam but I spot check alot of the itineraries.

I am refreshing the entire database this weekend and will double check your sailing.

Thanks Doone! I depend on my visitors and these boards to keep my schedules correct.

As others have said, the only time you'll feel like you're in a cattle call is if you absolutely must be the first person off the ship/in the dining room/ etc. A relaxed attitude will not only make vacation seem more like vacation, but it will also save the standing around.

I've cruised east and west carib and never felt crowded at any port. Obviously, some activities/excursions are more popular than others and you will often feel less crowded on independant tours or going off on your own as opposed to doing ship tours. St. Maarten/St. Martin has 50,000 permanent residents, so a bunch of cruise ship passengers is not going to make it look like Woodstock or a busy day at Disney World. There will be plenty of room for you. Don't worry.

cruzrmomma...relax, all will work out....it's vacation time!!! Totally agree about trying to be the first off the ship and that goes for trying to be the first on at the beginning and the first off at the end.....just relax and it will go smoothly. It's a pretty organized sort of chaos.

bs_kc...how cool....Glad to see this board is monitored by so many different folks....another good reason to be a member of cc.... :)

Archived