Mediterranean cruise

Philsfan

First of all let me say how amazed I am the amount of cruising that you have done collectively. Am considering taking the Ruby Princess in May for Barcelona to Venice cruise. Considerating extra couple days in Barcelona. Any recommendations as to deck, eating areas, things to do and not to do for NUBIE to cruising? Thank you in advance.

:):) be very careful in Barcelona...it was 1 of the only cities I didnt feel too safe in..you must be alert and never let your guard down for a minute...,..

First of all let me say how amazed I am the amount of cruising that you have done collectively. Am considering taking the Ruby Princess in May for Barcelona to Venice cruise. Considerating extra couple days in Barcelona. Any recommendations as to deck, eating areas, things to do and not to do for NUBIE to cruising? Thank you in advance.

We love both Venice and Barcelona. If you only have time for one, I'd pick Venice.

We were on Ruby last week and really enjoyed her. International Cafe is great, all the salads and desserts you see on display are free. We didn't want much for dinner one night and went down there for chicken salad and shrimp salad and shared a 3 scoop gelato plate for $1.50. Make sure you try their breakfast sandwiches.

Their pizza was really good too. $3 delivery charge gets a whole pizza delivered to your room. Great for sailaway. Enjoy your cruise. We did this route on Celebrity and really enjoyed the one way.

Just did this cruise this past May and absolutely LOVED it. I'm retired and took a niece just home from college for the summer. We spent a few extra days on both ends of the cruise and stopped off a few days in London on the way home. Great time, great trip.

Ten ports in 12 days is so exhausting that I can honestly say that many of the questions you are asking won't matter. Florence and Rome, for example require a 1 1/2 hour drive to get from the port to the city before you can begin a tour. By the time you have gotten back to the ship around 5:30pm or 6 it's been a 12 hour day already. We had intentions of exploring the ship and doing so much more but . . . Niece is 19, very fit and a runner and after the second long day, it was she who asked if we could skip the dining room and eat dinner in the buffet. We'd go back to the room and read knowing there was another long day ahead tomororw.

I'd suggest leaving this generic Princess board and heading over to the Europe forum (click on the "Boards" area in the upper left hand corner to get there). You'll find Spain, Italy, Greece and Other Med ports. There you can find things to do in Barcelona, Venice, etc. After you are done there, go to roll call area, to "Princess", then "Ruby" and call up the Grand Med cruises and find one that was taken around the same time of the year you are considering. Doing so will offer you much more info than here and give you a whole other set of questions you'll want answered! I keep using the word exhausting and it was, but trust me, if given the chance we'd both do every minute again in a heartbeat. Spectacular trip.

I will confirm everything Financialgrl said. You are wise to do the trip in May, it gets VERY hot later in the summer. We did the trip in August three years ago and it hit 105 in Athens. We are repeating the trip in May from Venice to Barcelona. If you can work it out, do take a day or two extra on each end of our trip. The Picasso Museum in Barcelona is incredible, as well as the cathedrals. Venice is all you have ever imagined and more.

I have sailed on the Ruby's sister ships which are basically identical, and they are lovely. If you can splurge on a balcony, you will love it-a balcony is a real treat for a Med cruise. The balconies on the caribe deck are larger.

Fly in a day or two early (to get over your jet lag and make sure you are rested when the cruise starts), and stay in Venice on the end if you can take that much time off. We were just in Barcelona on a cruise in Sept. and you must be very vigilant about your safety there-it is a lovely city with gorgeous sights and museums, BUT it has become quite a haven for pickpockets. Actually, you need to be aware of petty crime and personal safety wherever you go!

The Europe boards on Cruise Critic are very helpful. Enjoy the planning and anticipation of your wonderful trip!

we were on this criuse last may. the weather in barcelona was 55 and rainy the 3 days we were there.we felt safe but be careful.it was very

crowded and we did see a lady pickpocketed. keep valuables hidden!

We had a wonderful time. it was a trip of a lifetime! i would suggest to practice walking before you go! the tours are tiring but well worth it!

the weather got warmer as the cruise went on. have fun!

me and my husband still joke about running to keep up with the tour guides and them waving their tour group signs!! no time to tawdle on these tours!!! but we saw alot!!!!!

I advise that you fly into Barcelona at least one day in advance. This leaves margin for error. On our med cruise, our luggage was delayed. Had we not flown into Venice a day early we would have been sunk. Plus, Barcelona is a neat city, although I agree caution is warranted.

We used a private tour company (Port Compass) to book our land tours in Instanbul and Ephasus. My wife and I paid for four up front and found another couple on the boat to join us. It was so much better than the Princess tour. The thought on being on a multi-bus Princess tour with a bunch of clueless folks just doesn't appeal to me.

If you have the time and money, by all means schedule three days in Venice at the end of this trip. It's a great city and you will need to just sit around and relax, because this cruise is going to work you. Also, I advise against trying to go to Florence. It's too far from port. Better to add a day in Venice and take a day trip from there.

We did this cruise on the Ruby Princess in July 2009. Hot, hot, hot. But missed our stop in Rome due to very high winds and rough seas. Booked a few tours with some groups we connected with on the cruise-critic roll call area and a few on our own, both Princess and 3rd party excursions.

We stayed an extra day at both ends. Stayed at LANTIC ESPAI and used the variously coloured tourista bus routes to see Barcelona - very convenient. Stayed in a little hotel right in Venice called Hotel Al Codega.

IMHO one of the best lineup of ports there is out there!!

My quick recommendations

1) Do plan a couple extra days on both ends. Both Barcelona and Venice are wonderful and deserving of extra time. Its important you come in a few days early to adjust to time as its a fast and furious lineup of ports and serious busy days in port ( Rome, Florence/Pisa, Istanbul, Athens, Naples )

2) Be mindeful in every port of your valuables. I really think the noise about Barcelona is FUD. As a tourist you need to be careful in EVERY port.

3) Plan plan plan your port touring. I'd say research and skip the ship tours and if you can schedule private tours as you'll get far more for the same or less money.

4) I'd worry less about deck / cabin. I've sailed princess twice in the past few years yet have yet to find time to do the specialty resturants. I guess I must not be a picky eater and find anytime dining in the regular resturant plus sitdown breakfast, lunch and tea already good enough :D

Archived