RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

I'd like to know this too. I'll be on the oasis and would like to use my phone app so i can accumulate my rewards

Not sure if anyone has answered the Starbucks prepaid card question yet... but YES you can use your Starbucks gift cards on board AND get the points if you have a registered card.

They do not have the scanner for the app, but if you want to use your app to pay all you have to do is read the gift card number to the barista. They'll give you the receipt with the new balance and the app will update next time you connect to wifi or cell service.

I got up to page 8 and have to take a reading break. This one caught my attention. my kids have been asking if they can get cookies and milk before bed. They got used to that on Disney and I didn't think Royal did this. this post was from a few years back - can you still get cookie and milk?

We have only been on three cruises, but we LOVE RCL! A few tips, some of which have already been mentioned in some form, but deserve reiteration:

- Bring a highlighter, look over the Compass each night, and highlight a few things you would like to do the next day

- Don't feel you have to do everything! On our first cruise, we were almost frantic, afraid we would miss something and filling every minute with activities. "Down time" is important on vacation, and there are wonderful spots on the ship to just sit and relax. Take advantage of that!

- Order room service, even if it's just a snack - spinach dip in the afternoon (ask for extra chips!), or chocolate chip cookies and milk at night. It feels so indulgent (at least to us!).

- Bring binoculars, whether you have a balcony or not. In port and even at sea they're great to have to check out what's out there.

- Talk to the ship's employees - we have found them to be fascinating people! I love how their home countries are printed on their nametags, that is always a great conversation starter.

- Visit the Windjammer for an afternoon snack about 3:00 - nachos with wonderful guacamole, and AMAZING bread pudding, among many other choices. MMMM....

- Look for private excursions - Do your research on the Ports of Call boards here on CC and on TripAdvisor. Their livelihoods are dependent on getting you back to the ship on time. One bad review on one of the message boards, and they lose a TON of business, so they know how important it is. Even more important to us than the cost savings (most of the time) with private tours is the fact that the tours are almost always with MUCH smaller groups.

Most of all, relax and enjoy!

Sue

This may not be a secret but it was great nevertheless.

On sailings where we have been lucky enough to have a balcony, in foreign ports and when your balcony is on the docked side of the ship, when the ship is close to sailing time, instead of going up to a deck or lounge for sailaway, just hang out on the balcony - Then as you see all the folks running for all glory be down the dock so as to make the ship on time start cheering and hootin' & hollerin' (you won't be alone) - it was hilarious! This was one of our favorite activities on more than one ship.

Although we had a balcony on the Rhapsody going to Alaska, we hung out by the windows in the Centrum on the dock side, watching the "runners". Granted, we couldn't do any cheering, but there was the same people every night, turning the chairs and sofas to face the windows. It's a great way to pass the time and meet people.

I got up to page 8 and have to take a reading break. This one caught my attention. my kids have been asking if they can get cookies and milk before bed. They got used to that on Disney and I didn't think Royal did this. this post was from a few years back - can you still get cookie and milk?

Yes, cookies and milk are available from room service.

Ordering hot chocolate from room service is FABULOUS! Love it...(don't forget to tip for room service). We keep an envelope with room service tips in a convenient place. Keeps us from having to scrounge around looking for a tip when they arrive. You'll be surprised how much your children learn when they start cruising young. My Grandson started cruising at 3. When he and a cousin were old enough, we put them in a Promenade cabin across from us. It occurred to me that they had developed a habit of ordering room service at night. When I went to their cabin to make sure they remembered, my Grandson went to the dresser and pulled out an envelope full of $1's and it was labeled "Room Service Tips." It had never occurred to me that this little trick has even been noticed.

You can tell if an elevator is going to go up or down without looking at the arrows. "DING" means UP; "DING DONG" means down.

I'll have to try and remember that one (and test it other places too).

A generic tip (not RCI specific) if you're travelling with kids. Take a full length photo of them every day before you go out, particularly if you're in port. If you do misplace your children, it's easier to pull out a picture to show what they're wearing rather than trying to describe clothing in a potentially foreign language.

Tired after a long night of eating/drinking and just want to get to your room and don't want the elevator to stop at every floor? Then just hold in the UP/Down Button after selecting your floor and voilla your on Express Mode(:. I've tried it more than once and it worked 99.9 percent of the time.

Same goes on debarkation day are you in a rush to the airport just hold the dwon button after selecting the Gangway floor

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Elevator-an-Express-Elevator

Edited by travelplus

Tired after a long night of eating/drinking and just want to get to your room and don't want the elevator to stop at every floor? Then just hold in the UP/Down Button after selecting your floor and voilla your on Express Mode(:. I've tried it more than once and it worked 99.9 percent of the time.

Same goes on debarkation day are you in a rush to the airport just hold the dwon button after selecting the Gangway floor

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Elevator-an-Express-Elevator

Wow!!! Never knew that!

On elevators: Sometimes you need to go down to go up. Or vice versa. This way you'll definitely have a spot.

Disembarking: They often touch very lightly on it, or you'll find it on your cruise compass. Carry your own bags off the ship & you get off FIRST! It's called "self-assist" disembarkation. As long as you are a US citizen & did not exceed your alcohol customs allotment and are capable of carrying your own luggage off the ship.

BLTs: I often find myself wanting a BLT for bkfst, but they usually don't have the mayo out. Grab mayo packets during lunch & bring them with you in the Windjammer at bkfst time.

Toilet paper: Many people run out & your rm steward may not be around. People don't realize there is an extra roll tucked way underneath your bathroom countertop on a peg.

Special requests: I happened to mention to my dining rm waiter that I LOVED the grand marnier soufflés. They were not offered at the time & It just so happened that he mentioned it to the chef & they made soufflés for our ENTIRE TABLE on the last night of our cruise as a surprise. This has happened on TWO separate cruises too!!! You never know... There is no harm in asking!

Raffles: People get greedy. If you're going to put your name on a raffle ticket write your cabin # & "Smith family." I won diamond earrings & the ticket had my husbands name on it when he wasn't there. I got LOTS of flack for that. Be general & do not personalize the ticket.

Make up: Many times the cosmetics shop has makeovers or seminars to sign up for. Often it falls on formal night. It's free. Sign up & instant professional makeup!

Lastly DO NOT MISS THE QUEST! It's an adult scavenger hunt held late around 10:30 or 11pm. It's hysterical!!

Edited by Pack My Bags

Disembarking: They often touch very lightly on it, or you'll find it on your cruise compass. Carry your own bags off the ship & you get off FIRST! It's called "self-assist" disembarkation. As long as you are a US citizen & did not exceed your alcohol customs allotment and are capable of carrying your own luggage off the ship.

Being a US citizen doesn't have anything to do with it. I used self-assist disembarkation in Miami after a transatlantic and I'm an Australian citizen. They should have two queues for customs, though, one for citizens and one for visitors.

What are the small wonders on Allure? What does small wonders refer to?

They are magnified "wonders" throughout the ship on Oasis and Allure. Here's a picture of one:

1_art_132-296x334.jpg

You look inside. There are about 39 (I think).

Edited by adomek

This is not a RCCl tip, but something we do to make our cruising life easier.

I pack all of our clothes on space saver hangers. When we get to our room we have our room steward take out all of the wooden hangers.

You can fit so much more in the closet with the space saver hangers.

I also pack undes and such in plastic bags. This makes unpacking easier.

We are diamond plus, so we are given two bottles of wine as our free gift. I order room services and have them bring 6 glasses, so that we always have a wine glass when we want a drink in our cabin.