Cozumel

argenta01

When are you going ? We are on the 11/27 sailing.

There WAS a not so well known spot way at the far end of town called "Pancho's Backyard". NOW it is very well known. They even opened a Pancho's Backyard II right at the pier. The original location has an indoor courtyard, and sometimes has a live mariachhi band playing. The best margaritas and gaucamole. Starting going there 20 years ago when it was just us and the crew. Also the store in the front of the place (something SOL), has a tequila tasting bar and authentic mexican goods, as compared to the made in China stuff all along the main boulevard. Also around the city square there a quite a few open air cafes where you can people watch, with great specials.

Dzien dobry

We rented a car and drove to the other side of the island - about 10 min drive. This is where lot of the locals go. Three on the beach places - really great . Can't recall all the names but i remember Mescalitos. All are really good.

Totally agree on Pancho's back yard and we also have been going there since 1992. Look them up on the Internet. Great Mexican food and the best tamales we have ever eaten. Great margaritas, get the big one. Nice Mexican music. You can walk to it and enjoy all the shops along the way. You can also find advertisements for them in travel magazines.

We went along the shops by the water and stopped at two jewelry shops to buy a medal for a grandson. Even though DW is a native Spanish speaker and negotiated in Spanish, she couldn't get a lower price! (She didn't learn enough from her mother, who may have had the guys trying to get her to take it away!). We kept going, turned a corner and found several restaurants across from a small plaza. We stopped at one and had an excellent lunch and a couple of great Mexican beers.

Going back to the ship, we found a couple of nice shirts, and a good price on a medal.

Keep going till you have fewer tourists! (If you can, more ships now.)

There WAS a not so well known spot way at the far end of town called "Pancho's Backyard". NOW it is very well known. They even opened a Pancho's Backyard II right at the pier. The original location has an indoor courtyard, and sometimes has a live mariachhi band playing. The best margaritas and gaucamole. Starting going there 20 years ago when it was just us and the crew. Also the store in the front of the place (something SOL), has a tequila tasting bar and authentic mexican goods, as compared to the made in China stuff all along the main boulevard. Also around the city square there a quite a few open air cafes where you can people watch, with great specials.

Dzien dobry

Thank you for bringing back memories of my 1997 trip to Cozumel and Panchos Backyard. My day in Cozumel that day and my lunch at Panchos remains one of my all time favorite port days. I hope others enjoy Panchos.

Dzien dobry

I guess you only have Pancho's to blame for being such a great place. Hard to keep a good thing quiet. Been going there since 92'. Going again in Jan. Can't wait!

pancho's backyard, inside los cinco soles.......at the very end of the row of stores on the main drag..........however my vote goes to las choza.........i block in two blocks over from the main square.........we too have stayed in coz many times and ben there more times than i can count on cruises... still have a little blue soup bowl we bought there many years ago... they haave a great place oven air windown all around.;.. been there brobably 20 years family run... you will not be dissapointed........i promise

pancho's backyard, inside los cinco soles.......at the very end of the row of stores on the main drag..........however my vote goes to las choza.........i block in two blocks over from the main square.........we too have stayed in coz many times and ben there more times than i can count on cruises... still have a little blue soup bowl we bought there many years ago... they haave a great place oven air windown all around.;.. been there brobably 20 years family run... you will not be dissapointed........i promise]

We went to La Choza (you can Google it for the exact address). It's in the downtown area on a side street. Very good food and quiet.

another vote for La Choza - walkable from the downtown area.

Another spot we liked is Chen Rio which was very good and relaxing. It's beachfront on the wild side, so you 'd probably want to rent a car for that one. We sat outside with our toes in the sand under a palapa. Grilled shrimp and fish are excellent.

I'll throw another one out there.....El Capi Navigante.

They are located on Ave. 10 between Calle 3 & 5....two blocks off Melgar.

Small, quiet with great fresh seafood, Mexican dishes & terrific margaritas.

Mike

Archived