Smoking Ban - Spain Restaurants

hubofhockey

It's in line with lots of states in the USA not just the northeast! It's also in line with much of the EU.

Both Italy and even France have smoke free restaurants.

The bars may be a new addition but now we will have to wait and see if the law is actually enforced!

It's in line with lots of states in the USA not just the northeast! It's also in line with much of the EU.

Both Italy and even France have smoke free restaurants.

The bars may be a new addition but now we will have to wait and see if the law is actually enforced!

Not sure about all of US. Middle Atlantic states and many states in the Southeast still have smoking sections in restaurants and bars.

I agree that the law is important. But without enforcement, it's not much of a law.

This is great news to me if it is enforced. I am severely allergic to cigarette smoke (anaphylaxis) and was worried about finding somewhere nice to eat in Barcelona that was non-smoking. Here in Houston we have a smoking ban in restaurants and I love it :)

Jo

joandian, Even before this new ban, there were lots of good restaurants in Barcelona that were NON smoking.

I have asthma and so I looked for non smoking places during my last 2 land trips there.

Here are some of them:

Agua,Ciudad Condal,Alkimia,Cerveseria Catalan,Montiel,Origens99,QuimetQuimet,Cafe de l'Academia,and Cuines Caterina inside the totally non smoking Market(mercat) de Santa Caterina which is like the Boqueria but newer and totally non smoking!

The only places I ran into some smoke was when sitting outdoors. I only had to change my seat once in that situation.

Now some of the smaller more traditional places will have to also become non smoking(if the ban is upheld)

Thanks for posting this!

MADRID – Spain, famed for its smoke-filled bars, corner cafes and restaurants, set the stage on Wednesday for a tough new anti-smoking law that will rid the country of its dubious status as one of Western Europe’s easiest places to light up.

The bill passed by parliamentary commission calls for transforming all bars and restaurants into no-smoking zones, bringing Spain in line with the European Union’s strictest anti-smoking nations and many U.S. states that bar smoking in enclosed public places. It’s expected to pass the Senate and become law on Jan. 2.

I like it!

:)

• 1 month later...

I Live in Malaga and your correct the ban comes in on the 2nd Jan 11.

A 600 euro fine if you caught smoking in bars,Restaurants etc.

The 1st fine at a bar etc goe's to the customer then if anyone is caught smoking in that bar again the owner gts a 5000 euro fine.

Not sure about all of US. Middle Atlantic states and many states in the Southeast still have smoking sections in restaurants and bars.

I agree that the law is important. But without enforcement, it's not much of a law.

Many states in the southeast?

I know for certain that there are laws against smoking in restaurants in Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and Virginia (which also includes bars). Not sure about others.....

Many states in the southeast?

I know for certain that there are laws against smoking in restaurants in Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and Virginia (which also includes bars). Not sure about others.....

While there are laws in the states you list, there are also exceptions. Maryland is actually included below but smoking was allowed in restaurants up until 2011 because of three year waiver of enforcement of rules to restaurants who could ask for waivers based on their fears that their businesses would be negatively impacted by the state's new restriction.

But my original point was and is that Spain's new law trumps many US states laws including the ones you mention in the southeast.

=====================================================

As of November 2010, 27 states have enacted statewide bans on smoking in all enclosed public places, including bars and restaurants: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin.

A smoking ban (either state, county, or local) has been enacted covering all bars and restaurants in each of the 60 most populated cities in the United States except these 17: Arlington, TX, Atlanta, Fort Worth, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Memphis, Miami, Las Vegas, Nashville, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Antonio, Tampa, Tulsa, and Virginia Beach.[3][4]

Archived