Cross Dressing on Formal nights

MrsCruiseBabe

My husbands brother is a cross dresser and wants to know if he would feel outta place dressing up on formal nights ????

I cannot say how he would "feel". I would think it is best for him to expect the same variety of reactions as he would in most general public places. There will be some that don't understand, and that do and are supportive. We are gay women (married - yeah Canada!) and at home or away on previous cruises, we are mostly supported by others, we certainly will encounter those that don't understand. We are comfortable in our own skin, the quality of person we are and that is that. If he is comfortable, then others will be too.

We ditto Tangerinebunny - you are all most welcome to our table too!

he is not what you would call a passing cross dresser........he kind of looks like its holloween with lots of lipstick. We love him;) and support his choice of dress.

As long as he wears some sequins and lots of bling, he will fit right in.:D I would have no problem sharing a table with him as long as he had a sense of humour and didn't try to convert me to whatever religion he practises. He is lucky to have an accepting family like you.

My husbands brother is a cross dresser and wants to know if he would feel outta place dressing up on formal nights ????

If he, your hubby and yourself are comfortable with his dressing style, no matter what it is, that is all that matters.

I'd love to have all of you at table with us. Heck, I might pick up some great ideas from him:) Ya'll would probably be more fun to chat the night away than some old codgers without an open mind:)

Our last cruise in February I met a large group of Gay men from the Maryland and Delaware area. They were absolutely fantastic and called me their baby sister. At our last formal night they wore tiaras and stopped specifically at our table to present me with a matching pink tiara, mainly because our table mates had made a point of putting their noses in the air previously and making disparaging remarks about, "Those kind of people." I loved my big brothers:) :)

Joanie

Even if he wears too much lipstick, he'll look better than some - especially those women who've had a bit too much plastic surgery and now have smiles that go permanently from ear to ear and wear lots of lipstick - kind of looks like the Joker from 'The Dark Knight' Batman movie!:eek:

Our family wouldn't mind a bit. Everyone has the the right to be who they are as long as it doesn't hurt others. I suppose you have given him some kind advice about clothing/makeup to look "better". If he doesn't take it that is up to him. :-)

Interesting question so I'm going to give an honest answer even though some people will be happy to hang me on the spit for it.

The OP didn't mention whether the BIL is dining only with members of his party or with strangers, open seating or fixed. That could make a difference in response. I prefer fixed seating at a large table so I can dine with a mix of people. I admit that I don't always agree with my tablemates, but I respect their right to have differing opinions and lifestyles from mine. I wouldn't intentionally offend someone simply because they live their life different from me.

However, if I knew a tablemate as a man for a couple of days then he suddenly showed up as a women, especially if I didn't recognize him approaching the table, my mouth might let out an "OMG" in SURPRISE or I may simply get a stunned expression before my brain has a chance to process this new information. It wouldn't be intended as unacceptance or an insult to the BIL - just something I wasn't expecting. However, the BIL might take the comment/expression as an insult.

If the BIL is dining with new people, it might be good to work the cross-dressing into a conversation before formal night so the others at the table aren't surprised and cause accidental offense. I have no idea if there is a delicate way of doing that. If the others at the table do seem unaccepting, the BIL would have a chance to decide whether to join them anyway, switch to a different table, or try another dining venue for formal night.

If the BIL is only dining with members of his party, then he should show up dressed as he wants, within the accepable dress code for the gender he chooses, of course.

There were a lot of cross dressers on the Eurodam sailing. It didnt bother me but a lot of people were looking. It was very obvious though and they shouldnt have been out by the pool in a bikini!

Who: the cross dressers or the gawkers? :D

he is not what you would call a passing cross dresser........he kind of looks like its holloween with lots of lipstick. We love him;) and support his choice of dress.

Whatever he wants to wear is his choice and should be accepted by his fellow cruisers. I am curious as to why it "... looks like its halloween..." . Is he just not good at the application, or is he trying to generate comment? If it's the former, no comment should be made -- if the latter, it would be discourteous to ignore him.

I think he would get the same reaction he would get anywhere he went into a fine dining restaurant wearing a dress and lipstick, which is to say many or most would stare, and a few would pretend not to notice. I'd say at the table you'd get 50/50 of people who were nice to him and those who were made uncomfortable by him and/or refused to speak with him.

FWIW, I find it intriguing that if you asked if he could wear a suit jacket with a dress shirt and a tie, complete with polished black dress shoes, with jeans as pants, you would be unequivocally flamed and informed that this is not the "redneck jamboree". But take off the jeans and give him a dress and a tube of lipstick with no mirror to use in its application, and suddenly he's welcomed to every table.

Intriguing.

Archived