Need cruise etiquette advice. Please Help

ael123

We may be sniping at each other in previous posts, but I could not agree more with this one. What I wouldn't give to be on a cruise in warm weather away from the stresses of the day-to-day.:)

beachchick

Yeah, I'd take the snoring, the demanding, the whatever....just get me on a cruise!

I'm sorry, I think I may have crossed swords with Beachchick before (although I am not certain) but on this she is absolutely spot on 100%.

I would almost go as far as to say that the friend would have legal comeback if she had made a specific stipulation prior to booking, and the other party for whatever reason had reneiged on the agreement

Legal comeback??? for having to put up with someone's snoring??:D then most wives will sue their husbands!!! ;):Dwow do we live in a litigation happy society!

Legal comeback??? for having to put up with someone's snoring??:D then most wives will sue their husbands!!! ;):Dwow do we live in a litigation happy society!

So true!:D Of course, my DH swears that I sometimes snore too. Who me? Snore? Never.:p

beachchick

All I want to know is what kind of evil, twisted monster would say something like "I'll go with you, but please, I just can't tolerate any snoring." Who would want such a demanding tyrant as a friend?

LOL, guess you could always have the last laugh by lying and telling her that the new room mate doesn't snore. You wouldn't lose all that money spent on the cabin. Who cares that they who told you in advance they can't tolerate snoring?

It's a dog eat dog world, get yours. If you lose a friend, so what? Plenty more where they came from!

Sarcasm mode:OFF

We bought two cabins for a 12 day Mediterraneon cruise. My husband and I were going to be in one cabin and our 30 year old daughter and a friend of mine in the other. Prior to booking the cruise my friend indicated that she wanted to join us as long as our daughter does not snore which she does not.

Problem: We are within 3 weeks of sailing and our daughter cannot go on the cruise due to issues surrounding her doctoral dissertation. The cruise insurance does not cover her reasoning for cancelling. We paid about $2000 for her air and cruise ticket. I asked my friend if she knew of anyone who wanted to take our daughter’s place and she did not. My mother enjoys traveling, would love to go on this cruise and is willing to go in place of our daughter but my mother is not sure if she snores and does not have anyone who lives with her who can listen for the night. If my mother does not take the space then we are out of the cost of the trip and my friend will have the cabin to herself. If my mother takes the cruise and she snores then we are putting my friend in a position she did not want to be in so that doesn’t seem right. However, my friend not willing to wear ear plugs if the snoring occurs seems rather rigid. Is it fair to ask the friend to split the cost of my daughter’s cruise portion if she wants to have the cabin to herself? Do we take my mother and see what happens or do we eat the cost of the trip?

Any solutions?

I've read through this thread and I haven't seen anyone post what seems to me the first thing you should do, which is talk to your friend.

I think your friend's original request, not to sleep with someone who snores, is quite reasonable. You all agreed to that at the time of booking, so it would not be reasonable to expect your friend to change that request.

I think you should now talk to your friend and explain that your daughter can't go and that you are considering taking your mother instead, and that you intend to find out whether your mother snores, or not.

Perhaps your friend has a different solution to offer, such as taking a friend of her own?

If not, I do think your daughter has some responsibility here. She is the one whose plans changed and are not covered by insurance.

If someone has to cover the additional cost of paying for a single occupation room, I think that should be your daughter, not your friend, who had agreed to cruise in a shared room. It would be unreasonable to now expect your friend to contribute that extra cost.

I'd love to know how it all works out. Please update us after your cruise.

I've wondered how they worked all this out but we haven't heard from OP, sadly. Hope she comes back and shares 'the rest of the story'.

Yes, i would like to know the outcome of this too. Since so many of us had different opinions and advice, it would be nice to know how this all worked out. Either way, I hope they had a very good cruise, no friendships were broken and no one snored loud enough to knock the walls off:D.

Archived