Recomendations wanted on best menu items

cruiserchuck

The NY strip steak in the MDR has always been a proven good choice for us. The surf and turf (filet and lobster tail) was also very good. On our two HAL cruises the lobster was a good sized cold water tail that was very tender. The filet was very good as well. The crab legs were very good. Our daughter actually got these from the MDR when we were eating in the Pinnacle that night, she likes them so much. I don't like sage so the Pheasant wasn't for me.

One suite lunch and a Mariner boarding lunch was an Indonesian sampler that was very tasty.

The steaks in the Pinnacle are very good. The Ribeye is very large and good for a person that likes a lot of meat.

The breads are excellent.

I would say we haven't thought many of the deserts are worth the calories.

Rack of Lamb, medium.

IIRC, on my cruises it's been offered on a formal night, along with things which sound more appealing (to me). I never cook rack of lamb at home, and I would never order it "medium", either. (I occasional braise lamb, Greek style, very well done.) But, this entree has been a clear, consistent winner.

Cold fruit soups. (Something I would never have tried unless I read it here.)

Free cup of cappuccino after dinner. However, if you want more caffeine after that, you must ask for regular coffee. If you're in fixed dining, your server will catch on, and do this every night.

Let me echo jmps: Breads are great, cakes/desserts are not. However, I do like the cookies and the bread pudding, both in the Lido.

My favorites are bread pudding in the lido at lunch time and waffles at breakfast. The strip steak from the always available menu was excellent. Most things were good but they blend together in my memory. I enjoyed the sandwich station in the lido for lunch. It took me several days to find it though.

Marcia

Fresh berries with my room service breakfast! I also love the seeded bread served with dinner in the MDR - I've been known to take the leftovers to eat the next morning. Room service called and asked if I wanted something to go with the butter I ordered (with my coffee) and I had to admit to being a bread thief. :o Now off to the gym to work off the bread and butter I plan to eat in 34 days!

Just off the Oosterdam less than a month ago.

Happy to say that I would eat lunch at the Sandwich station everyday for a year if I had one in my livingroom, and would be glad to have some combination of the waffle station and the omelette station for breakfast each day forever.

For dinners I was generally unimpressed, and that says a lot for a guy who is impressed with sandwiches, waffles, and omelets.

Archived