How long is MDR dinner?

cdamion

It's as long as you wish. Let your waitstaff know if you're not in a rush, or would like to get out at a particular time. They are pretty flexible. Obviously, if you plan on having appetizer, soup, salad, entree, dessert and coffee, you need to plan on it taking a bit longer.

On our Crown cruise in September, there were four of us at the table. Our dining time was 8:15pm and we had appetizer, soup, salad, entree and dessert every night although no one had all three pre-entree courses. We didn't stay for coffee and were out of the dining room by 9:15. We probably could have lingered over dinner more but two of the ladies were "early to bed, early to rise" people and didn't want to stay later.

I've been on other cruises where we did a lot of talking and didn't get out until after 10pm every night.

We always eat early & get all the courses on the menu & it usually takes us under 1 1/2 hours to finish (and we are not fast eaters) since many seats are not occupied until after 6 PM giving the wait staff more time to serve each table. The same meal begun at 6:30 PM might take +2 hours & most likely would make you late for the main show or possibly not find a seat at all.

I just saw Paul's answer & that's very true about waiting for others to finish eating + with larger tables there's always more talking which slows the whole table down as the waiter will wait till the last person finishes a course before serving the next one.

My wife and I always get seated at a 2-top and even with every course we're in and out of the dining room in roughly an hour. But, like others have said, the amount of time that the meal takes can range quite a bit based on how many are at the table, their eating pace, how busy the dining room is, etc.

My wife and I always get seated at a 2-top and even with every course we're in and out of the dining room in roughly an hour. But, like others have said, the amount of time that the meal takes can range quite a bit based on how many are at the table, their eating pace, how busy the dining room is, etc.

Especially when there are cruises who thrive on having conversations about everything under the sun. You can ask you waiter for quick service but if there are talkers at a large table it can take forever to finish a meal.

It pays to get a table for two unless your a person who likes the chit chat. ;)

Usually dinner in the MDR takes 1 1/2 -2 hrs. depending on table size, kitchen situation, waiter and number of courses ordered.

Personally, my Partner and I rush everyday and we like to relax and "dine" with some nice "intelligent" conversation at dinner. We sometime order an additional appetizer or entree to sample. There are some people who are in a big hurry or who bring children that understandably can not sit that long. In that case, the dinner buffet is available and you can be done in 20- 30 minutes and on your way.

We were on one cruise in which a mother-in-law and daughter-in-law were traveling together -- as we later found out -- one night they were too drunk to come to dinner and they commented to the other couple at another meal -- that we were not eating fast enough for them to get out to the bars on the ship...:p

Three years ago I did late traditional with my sister and 17 year old son. (table for 8) It was fantastic. DS learned in one week what we had not been able to impart in years. That there is a nice ritual for dinner: arrive on time, use your best manners, converse with everyone, try new foods, linger over coffee.

One night mid cruise he said on the way to dinner "Mom, we don't even know those 5 people, but I find myself interested in hearing how their port day went" Ever since, his dinner table behaviour at home has been terrific - give or take the odd text!!!

Archived