Miami Intercontinental - my two cents

6502programmer

Loved it. 1.5 thumbs up. The only downside was the breakfast at the property. We booked through LMT, and got the $100 deal on Black Friday! We arrived right around noon, after flying in from MIA.

During check in, we were offered the $30 view upgrade, which was totally worth it. I loved watching the ships leave before we left for dinner, and enjoyed waking up to see our ship waiting for us! If you do stay there, and especially if you got the LMT deal, spring for the harbor view room. you will NOT regret it. I loved being able to point to the cabin we would be walking into in five hours!

For lunch, we stayed close by. We wandered down to a place called "Stoupsy's of Athens". Because it was Black Friday, I'm assuming the place was a bit quieter than normal, but I could see a line out the door on an average weekday at lunch time. We both had the Gyro platter, which for $9 was a pretty good bargain. After lunch, we headed back for a nap.

Around 5, after watching the ships head out, we walked ten minutes to Bayside. It was a total tourist trap, but the pizza at Lombardi's was something we definitely enjoyed. The calamari was underwhelming, but the pizza made up for it.

The walk was made exciting by some sort of kerfuffle in Bayfront park, located squarely between the hotel and Bayside. Some sort of investigation was taking place, which required the famous Miami CSI's involvement. Sadly, they were all driving "conventional" vehicles, rather than Hummers, so I didn't feel too bad about having forgotten the camera in our room.

After a very restful evening, I woke up to the sight of four ships in port, the Century included! Excitedly, we went down to breakfast in the hotel. The meal was overpriced, even by hotel standards. $4.50 for a cup of coffee that was burnt beyond recognition was insulting, especially with a Starbucks located within the hotel lobby.

All in all, enjoyed the stay. It was a wonderful hotel with a nice location. I don't know that I'd spend $200-$300 for it, but for $100 it may not be the cheapest, but it's definitely a bargain!

Appreciate the review 6502 - We'll be staying at the Intercontinental one week from today and will request the room upgrade. We also got a great deal on LMT. Planned on breakfast at Starbucks, at least you know what your getting for the $$. Hope you enjoyed your cruise. We love Century!

I was just there this week, I asked for a room with a view of the port, and they told me that would be $20 more. I kept the city view.

It's definitely $20 well spent. Just the view alone. Something nice to look at. Splurge... you deserve it... when will you be in Miami next... THAT'S THE WAY I LOOK AT IT!!!:p

Thanks for your input, we will be in this hotel on the 9th & 10th of Dec...we just called the hotel today to verify reservations and we upgraded for the $30 for the water view - we only paid $84 a night for the room so the $30 is well worth it!

Thanks for your input, we will be in this hotel on the 9th & 10th of Dec...we just called the hotel today to verify reservations and we upgraded for the $30 for the water view - we only paid $84 a night for the room so the $30 is well worth it!

We we're just there in November. At that time the upgrade was only $20.00. Have they increased it since then?

Funny the view charge has gone up from $20 to $30 just since Nov 5th. The view was the only redeeming feature of the IC.

I wish they cared about their customers as much as they do about the lobby greenery. As we waited 4 hours for rooms, we watched a plant company with a crew of 5 to 7 people dusting and rearranging plants for most of that time. They were still working when we finally got our rooms.

Don't pay for an upgraded view. Just ask for a room with a view of the port. If available, they will give it to you. I did.

I asked for a view of the port, and was told that it was a $30 upcharge. I asked quite politely, "Is a room with a view of the port available", which was met with the upgrade offer. I knew I was checking in early (12p), that there was miscommunication regarding one or two beds, and that we were arriving the day after Thanksgiving, so I was happy to be accommodated, and didn't want to push the issue.

Tried out Last Minute Travel for this hotel for May of 2011 and I was able to punch in 5 stars and a price came up. Got all excited!! Then tried it again tonight and it said no hotels for that date. Does that seem right? Hopefully I can try it again and then will immediately book it. Has this ever happened to anyone else?? I was so excited and now I am let down...:(

I wish they cared about their customers as much as they do about the lobby greenery. As we waited 4 hours for rooms, we watched a plant company with a crew of 5 to 7 people dusting and rearranging plants for most of that time. They were still working when we finally got our rooms.

The indoor plants are leased and taken care of by the company that owns them. The hotel employees do not handle the indoor landscaping.

How do you get rates like that ($100) at the IC? We'll be there on Feb 5 and can't find anything under at least $210. Would appreciate the help. Thanks

I'm looking for Jan. 21 and the price is $167. Another poster explained the difference is that we are trying to book the IC in high season.

Archived