Dolphin Encounter Excursions?

InPR

In roughly a week, I will be on a cruise that includes Roatan, Honduras. There, I will partake in one of those dolphin encounters where you get in the water with the animals. I have never done this and I would like to take pictures. Is this advisable? Permitted? Is it likely someone will be there to take our pictures?

If you have experience with this, I would love to know more about this. Thanks!

In roughly a week, I will be on a cruise that includes Roatan, Honduras. There, I will partake in one of those dolphin encounters where you get in the water with the animals. I have never done this and I would like to take pictures. Is this advisable? Permitted? Is it likely someone will be there to take our pictures?

I took a water proof camera with us and took some pictures myself. There was no problem with me taking pictures.

They had someone there taking a video that you can purchase afterwards. They let us preview the video first to see if we wanted it. It came out pretty good and made a nice souvenir. They also had someone taking pictures but we just got the video.

We really liked this excursion, the dolphins were so much fun.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but it looked to me like these dolphins, or some of them, are not in captivity? With the dive/snorkel trip, is it a "free" pod of dolphins? I can't bring myself to support a program with captive dolphins....

I have heard a lot of great things about this excursion. Seen it on TV once as well. You will love it if you love dolphins. And don't let that crap about captivity make you go on a guilt trip. These beautiful dolphins are not locked up like the ones in some amusement parks.

• 2 weeks later...
arzeena--

what do you mean they are not locked up? that was my question--are they free to get away from the people if they choose? what is their living situation? anyone know? thanks!

You should go to Cozumel and see for yourself. Swim with the dolphins and then let us know what you make of it. Another good place to research this is at Dolphin Discovery in Bermuda and Hawaii. You will get your answers there.

Hi InPR. I wanted to be sure you had a chance to make an informed decision. I am big time animal lover and was all set to swim with the dolphins in Tortola...until I read this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1003508&highlight=

There's some good info in Friscoray's post.

I have always wanted to do this (swim with the dolphins) until I learned that it is cruel to the dolphins. I have even read that otherwise healthy dolphins occasionally commit suicide in captivity by sinking down to the bottom of their enclosures and not coming back up to breathe.

I don't think I would be able to enjoy one of these encounters at this point, altho I would love to do it!

"I've heard from countless people that they "made contact" and it changed them."

Yes, I agree, they made contact, and they changed my life too...........I overcame my fear of water. I love dolphins and I love swimming with them and thus learning more about them. That is how I feel.

Those who do not feel right about it, are entitled to their own feelings. I respect them. But they should in turn respect ours.

I have never heard about dolphin suicides! Can you please post a link if you have read about it somewhere?

To the poster who who wrote that there are no such programs in the US.......have you ever been to Florida? I am not being being rude, so please don't take this question wrongly.

"I've heard from countless people that they "made contact" and it changed them."

Yes, I agree, they made contact, and they changed my life too...........I overcame my fear of water. I love dolphins and I love swimming with them and thus learning more about them. That is how I feel.

Those who do not feel right about it, are entitled to their own feelings. I respect them. But they should in turn respect ours.

I have never heard about dolphin suicides! Can you please post a link if you have read about it somewhere?

To the poster who who wrote that there are no such programs in the US.......have you ever been to Florida? I am not being being rude, so please don't take this question wrongly.

I think this must be what I read. When I googled dolphin suicides there were other articles as well. Certainly not definitive, and I am not an animal rights activist at all - I believe in animal research! but it gave me enough pause to lose my enchantment with the idea of dolphins in captivity performing for us. Not what they want to do, I bet. I love the poster who had the experience of sharing water with them in the wild. THat must have been incredible.

I am not slamming people who do these excursions. I just have enough doubt in my mind that it is ok, so that I couldn't do it. And to be totally honest, IF it is true, then I hope a lot of people stop attending and they stop capturing dolphins.

Archived